[NL20-NL50] How was this bluff catch?

• maheepsangari
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $26.12 (130.6 bb) 28/24/1.6/7.7/38/399 F/T/R Agg freq 29/18/24
      Hero (SB): $20.66 (103.3 bb)
      BB: $26.87 (134.4 bb)
      MP: $21.21 (106.1 bb)
      CO: $20.78 (103.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q A
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $1.80, BB folds, BTN calls $1.20

His fold to 3bet is 27% and steal from BU is 64% so I expect him to call with a lot that i dominate

Flop: ($3.80) 9 6 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

I don't cbet flop because I don't have any equity he checks so I think if he has sets, two pairs, FDs, straight any strong hand, he'll bet to protect cause even made hands aren't strong here as many turn can ruin them

Turn: ($3.80) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, BTN raises to $6.33, Hero calls $4.33

On turn i bet and he raises seems like a slowplay but I still think he normally won't slowplay such a flop so I think he might be over valuing an Ax or a pure bluff from Ax he beats me with AK,A9, both unlikely given my preflop 3bet. he'll 4bet AK, A9 he might have but still unlikely so I decide to just flat and keep his bluffs in

River: ($16.46) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $17.99, Hero calls $12.53

River is not a heart so even if he was semi bluffing with pair + FD he didn't get there
  • 3 replies
    • mbml

Preflop: 3bet size is too small. I would heavily weight my range towards value hands, and I would just use a larger raise size just because we can expect our range to be stronger than usual here. I'll make it at least 2.20$

Flop: Give up now with no backdoor equity

Turn: Not folding to the raise and I intend to call down on a blank river. If he has something like A9/A6s/A5s/small flush draws, then take a note on how he plays postflop.

I'm not folding a hand as strong as AQ here.

• SPeedFANat1c
      I would think that fold river is the correct play.

What do we beat on the river? He is so passive in general and on river so I don't expect a bluff raise and bluff bet on 2 streets.

Or is he raising turns with weaker ace? I don't believe that.

Also if he raised with AT, not it also beats us. So if he does that with AJ, thats the only his value hand.
    • mbml
      I don't think he is raising a worse ace here. His range is probably polarized. I am not giving him too much credit for checking back the Flop with any monsters.

Does he check back the flop with small flush draws? I don't think it's that common to do so, especially when we are often going to be perceived to be check/folding this flop really often.

Now that I think about it, a fold may be good. I'd expect him to stab at the flop more often if he wanted to bluff, as opposed to checking back the Flop and then raising the Turn. Could be one of those turned 2-pairs type of hands - It makes sense for him to pot control the Flop and not risk getting check-raised.

I am probably giving the villain too much credit for pulling off such bluffs here which is probably incorrect.