Performance

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Hi!

Does anybody (like a PT rep) know what PT4 is doing with all that CPU-time?

"Get hands while playing" results in an unreasonable CPU gobble up (whether I play or not). As far as I know monitoring a file system for changes requires pretty much no measurable CPU power whatsoever. At least that's what it ought to be like. haven't used that OS feature myself, but it could in my mind not amount to anything else than registering a pointer with the OS for notification when the FS changes in a directory.

Iv'e always liked PT because it is not canned software, and the amount of code bloating have been reasonable over the years. But as hardware becomes better, the requirement of optimizing away even the most horrendous performance problems seem to become a more and more minor issue. Sad.
  • 7 replies
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      What do you consider unreasonable? You didn't include any evidence that can help us debug your issue.

1) Are you using the recommended system requirements or better for PT4? https://www.pokertracker.com/faq/PT4#Minimum_Requirements

2) Please click on Play Poker > Import Status. What do you see here? If there is activity, then this may be the cause of your problem... we can advise you how to solve this if you create a support ticket on our website.

As a comparison - I am using a Windows VM inside of a Mac OS X desktop from 2 years ago, I have only 1 of my 8 processor cores assigned to Windows. In Windows after I start PokerTracker 4 there is 0% - 1% CPU on average. After I start importing with no other applications running I have the same CPU usage, but occasionally i see a temp bump to 4%.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      It wasn't a bug report. I ask because I am curious. How does PT4 monitor for files to read?

Since you ask, anything over 0 seems too much when there is really nothing to do.

All in all things run fine, but I hesitate every time I upgrade because don't have the newest computer in the world.
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      It wasn't a bug report. I ask because I am curious. How does PT4 monitor for files to read?
      Trade secrets, sorry... cannot discuss.

Originally posted by YohanN7Since you ask, anything over 0 seems too much when there is really nothing to do.
      There is lots to do in the background that is not noticeable by the end user. For example PokerTracker 4 is working in the background on updating NoteTracker notes, and we perform database maintenance regularly and quietly in the background. We consider our CPU usage very reasonable. You havent told us yet what you were seeing...

Originally posted by YohanN7All in all things run fine, but I hesitate every time I upgrade because don't have the newest computer in the world.
      As long as it matches our recommended specs then you should not see any problems. If you have a computer that meets our minimum required specs, then you will experience some small issues with larger data samples. If your computer is less than our minimum requirements then we do not support yoour setup... PT4 may "work" for your needs, but it is not designed to be used that way. Your "don't have the newest computer in the world" statement concerns me... did you check the minimum requirements?
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Thank you for your concern about my computer.

I found what makes the misbehavior come about. PT4 gets stuck in an infinite loop when trying to read tournament summaries from Full Tilt. I removed two summaries, and CPU usage is now reasonable (0% instead of 85-90%). A bell is ringing. I though this bug was fixed.

Edit: TheReplicator

And, please, try to sound less like a Customer Support Representative :) . There is customer support for that.

EDIT: If you want to, I could recover those two files and send them to you. They looked like perfectly normal files (in Notepad) to me, they were not big either. My performance problems are gone.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      I found what makes the misbehavior come about. PT4 gets stuck in an infinite loop when trying to read tournament summaries from Full Tilt. I removed two summaries, and CPU usage is now reasonable (0% instead of 85-90%). A bell is ringing. I though this bug was fixed.
      That does not sound like not a bug because as we explained above, this is necessary functionality. A tournament summary allows us to process the results, re-perform tournament detections, re-perform ICM analysis for hands were all-in equity adjusted winnings could be calculated, create new opponents if no opponents were in the database prior to the summary,

If your computer is peaking out at 85% - 90% CPU processing with these tournaments, then chances are your using a computer with specs we do not support... there are no known issues with FTP tournament summaries, import is working as it is designed to work. If you send us the summaries we will attempt to duplicate the issue, if we can duplicate it then we will log a bug for you and work to find a fix. If we cannot duplicate the issue, then I'm afraid you have only two options -

1) Disable tournament detection options as shown in the screen captures in the images below, these images are taken from our internal alpha build, we are rolling out this interface change next week - this is what you would need to recreate once the new version is released. The interface change allows for greater flexibility in choosing how tournaments are detected.

2) Improve your computer specs so they are within our recommendations. We do not know for sure that this is an issue, but you appear to allude that it is. If your computer does not meet our minimum required specs then we cannot provide support, it s necessary for us to help you I'm afraid. Of course if this is not an issue for you, then you can ignore option #2.

To submit a support ticket with the tournament summary please read the instructions here, include a screen capture of your CPU and also your pokertracker4.log file. Once this is done please post the ticket number in this thread so we know what to look for : https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/troubleshooting/submitting-a-bug-report#submitting-a-support-ticket
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      As I said, I don't have a problem anymore since I removed the offending files. But since you insist that the only explanation is that I don't have a super-computer, I'll have to explain again. It is a bug that has been there before, some fix levels ago. Other tournament summaries - BIG ones - have posed no problems.

The program got stuck in an infinite loop, that's it. There was no database activity. Memory usage was normal. Are you telling me that if I had a, say, four times faster CPU, then computation time would be reduced by a factor of a trillion or more?

I have worked professionally for many years with creating and fine tuning relational database interaction layers (C++, DB2), and I can spot a bug when I see one. No offence, but I don't think you have worked with software if you really diagnose this as a hardware problem. The other option is that you say what you are told to say in situations like this. It is standard procedure in the software business to first try to locate errors to other software vendors software, then to go for the customer or his/hers hardware. As I said, Iv'e been in the business for a long time.

But no worries, there are no performance problems now, PT4 is running smoothly. And I might go down to the store one day and buy some more memory:) .

A question out of curiosity: Is it possible to have the database on a network? It looks like it in "Database management". There is an entry for "server", so localhost->ipaddress of server should do the trick.

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Just for the record, played a freeroll, complete tournament summary with 4000 players - no problem. Handled in a second or two.