[NL2-NL10] [SH] NL5 AJo 03-03-13 (speed)

• Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $3.08 (61.6 bb)
      UTG: $5 (100 bb)
      MP: $0.81 (16.2 bb)
      Hero (CO): $5.64 (112.8 bb)
      BTN: $6.81 (136.2 bb)
      SB: $12.69 (253.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A J
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BTN folds, SB raises to $0.50, BB folds, Hero calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.05) 8 7 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.65, Hero calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.35) 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.35) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.55, Hero raises to $4.49, SB folds

Hi,
      Not sure how bad this hand played out, and proberly your going to say it was poorly played :D
      Anyways here goes...

I had played a few blindsteal battles with this guy not many, but something indicated that he knew what he was doing, also by his SB raise making it a bit bigger etc..

Preflop:
      My raise is fine I think, but when he decided to play back at me I thought he was rather deep, and I might be deep enough to make a float play not sure if I had enough tho.

Flop:
      I think this flop missed both of our ranges, unless he had me beat preflop with a made hand, decided to call and reevaluate...

Turn:
      Pretty much a blank, he checks which I took as a weakness, but decided to make a move on river when he bets again...

River:
      He did bet here, but even more than before it looked very much like a bluff, trying to get me to fold, I don't think he has JT or 56, they would not play like this, beseides I also have a blocker for the Jack, the FD's missed, so decided to play by my initial plan, to get him to fold the river, and only thing that I could do is shove here, took some time to do it, as it was a stone cold bluff, but AK,AQ even some PP would fold this.
      I might have overplayed it or overthinked it, but it was a try out, and maybe you can tell me how bad/good it was, thank you.

Villain:
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I think you didn't play this hand good overall.

First of all - preflop. Against a rather unknown I opponent I really don't like calling AJo, although we have position. Our hand is quite dominated and considering we have just 15 hands on him, we can't really say that he has a lot of bluffs.
      So we are left with 4betting and folding which I think both are good, but having blockers I think 4betting is better than folding.

On the flop - what's the plan when we call here?
      I think it's an easy fold without knowing his postflop tendencies. Also his bet is on the bigger side, and our redraw is weak. If we had the As it would be a better option.

As played on the flop, I think the turn bet is mandatory here. We floated the flop to make him fold hands like AK/AQ which still beat us, so I'm definitely betting here.

On the river I prefer folding. Usually, when he bets like this he is almost never ever folding.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      My plan was to get him to fold a river bet, but I see it was a mistake, I was a bout to bet the turn, when he checked, as yes I wanted AK, AQ hands to fold...

I thought of him as a reg, maybe I was overthinking it, but still think I had to try out this play, unfortuneately it was really really bad, but I tested it :P still trying to learn alot...
      But next time when they check turn I will do my ABC and bet to get folds from better in this situation.

Just thought his play was against me, which might also be a mistake, but had a feeling that he was anoyed by me, as I stole almost everytime against him. I thought he might have opend up his resteal range against me.
      I'd also always assume that he would fire off a cbet on the flop, if he has nothing he will usually give up on turn.
      I see it's a mistake to not bet turn tho, I also show weakness then, I should take it down there..
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      I think betting the turn is better than betting the river.
      From my personal experience at these stakes, people usually tend to check/call more on the river with a hand like AK, rather than on the turn, since they can see the showdown, but if this happens on the turn they might face a river bet as well.

Also, just try to refrain yourself from those "they play back at me" stuff, especially on those speed games on the micros, since most of the people are just grinding there and not really thinking over the situations.