dealing with mini downswings after an upswing

• tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      There are generally 2 ways you can earn $100 a week in poker:

1. Go on a heater for the first part of the week, earning like $200-$300 with a 50bb/100 wr at NL10, then going on a mini downswing for the 2nd part of the week.

or

2. Go on the downswing first, then climb your way back into the green zone.

Of course the 2nd way is more satisfying for me, and I find it hard to deal with number 1. I just find it depressing for me because I could have earned much more after the first upswing so it felt just as bad as a loss despite a profit and the end of the week.

But of course both 1 and 2 lead to the same outcome so I should feel the same either way right?

It's only my first week at NL10 though, and I'm not quite used to how much I can lose in a day. My brm is alright (current bankroll approx 550 so 55 BIs) but it just felt so different losing 3 BIs at NL10 compared to NL5 or NL2. So mini downswings are abit painful. And maybe perhaps I'm expecting abit more too (I play at 888 and I know there are lots of fishes at micros and I used to have a 40bb/100 wr at NL2 lol)

At NL2 this would probably not affect me at all, so it's probably the much larger amount of money involved at NL10 that's affecting me.

Maybe for the entire next week I will hide my bankroll balance and not look at any of my HH until the weekend. Hopefully it works out. But it will be hard for me to know when to stop if I'm losing too much though.

Any advice?
  • 8 replies
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Best advice. Forget short term anything. Understand that poker is Long term. You want to capitalize on the other players at your table mistakes and play +EV. I posted this note across the top of my computer: "Hands, cards, downswings, upswings and players come and go. Poker is a game of mistakes. Capitalize on the other person's mistakes. Play + EV."
      Hope this helps.
      Gp
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi tommygecko,
      Cards have no memory as far as I know. What does that mean? It means that the current hand can't influence the next hand or the hand after that and so on, so 'downswing' really has no meaning except as a means to labelling a list of losing hands or sessions etc,.

So, as long as you make good decisions, as gp00053 points out, try to make good plays and take advantage of the fact you, as a better player than your opponents, make less mistakes.

Also, if the amount you are losing/winning in one hand is a concern, try thinking in big blinds instead of say dollars or euros. That way, raise is still 3bb and a 3bet isn't that huge 1.00euro or whatever, it's 10bb. I find this takes the pressure of money out of the hand as well, as it's just all chips and bbs then. :)

The sticky post I have on my screen says; 'Decision Correct, Result Irrelevant.'

Just my opinion and example of how I deal with things, but it works for me if not for someone else.

Regards and have fun,

Mal.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      things are getting worse how the fuck does someone flat call my 3bet with T9s and flop trips...

5 BI downswing in 700 hands is not funny. There's way too much action at 888 maybe I should move to stars just to reduce variance.

Nv knew I would have to say this shit.

BB called my AA UTG raise with J7 flop trips river quads wtf?

I know things like this happen but these players turn poker into a lottery. I love fishes but if you guys played at zynga you know how unplayable poker is. There needs to be a ratio
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze

To all of us, if you want to progress as a poker player, youll have to learn to deal with $1k+- swings even at low limits, so getting used to $50 swings now is just a must..

I personally never have had a problem with the amount of money it doesnt affect me, just dont bring emotion to the table.. easy game.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tommygecko
      things are getting worse how the fuck does someone flat call my 3bet with T9s and flop trips...

5 BI downswing in 700 hands is not funny. There's way too much action at 888 maybe I should move to stars just to reduce variance.

Nv knew I would have to say this shit.

BB called my AA UTG raise with J7 flop trips river quads wtf?

I know things like this happen but these players turn poker into a lottery. I love fishes but if you guys played at zynga you know how unplayable poker is. There needs to be a ratio
      No, long term moving to a tougher site with less fishes increases variance because your winrate is reduced.
    • giedriuss89
      giedriuss89
      Bronze
      Side question.

How is even possibe that Stars have less fishes with 70k players any given hour?
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      they have more fish, and more sharks.
    • bristolboy
      bristolboy
      Bronze
      whine less, play more, study more, simples
      as everyone has said, its about the long run, losing X amount of BI or flips or all ins in a few days/week/month whatever, really doesn't matter
      swings are part of poker, if you can't handle them you are going to have a tough time
      one thing I find really helpful is only checking results at the end of the week, not checking after every session/mid session or whatever really helps me keep an even mental state and not tilt when going on 40BI swings or get over confident and cocky when crushing souls.
      results dont matter at all, if you play well ad play enough volume you will get the results eventually, poker doesn't care what seems fair and you are not entitled to win every hand just because you think you are better than your opponents
      also i would highly recommend The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler

the funny thing is that, in a years time when you look back over your graphs for a large sample size, these swings that feel huge now, will be tiny little blips on your road to crushing and won't matter at all :)