Live Poker ITT

• sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm a 23 years old Argentinian poker player, an don't really want to properly introduce myself and describe what is this blog about.

Actually, I will elaborate some in further posts, but first I wanted to rush myself to come here and just make the thread, so I stop procrastinating.

So let's make a small summary.

*I'm currently playing NL50 9max Zoom games.
      *It's the first time I will be taking this sh..t seriously (poker, I mean). And soon I'm going to be playing 'for a living'.
      *I'm also aiming to play Hypers (6 and 9 max) in the near future.
      *I will do my best to achieve SN this year, although I know it's a REALLY difficult goal, since I can't remember the last month I played more than 30k hands.
      *I'm pretty confident about my play, but have one major leak (on top of the other ones): I spazz like a motherfucker. I have a serious tendency to make hero- (Hero like 'Don Quixote De la Mancha', not like Superman or Ironman) calls where i'm screwed, even by the weaker part of the villain range. Also, I overestimate my equity (hand vs perceived range) quite a bit.

So, In conclusion, I started saying I wasn't going to go tl;dr, and ended up clearly doing it.

Oh, I almost forgot: I'm making this blog here so I can improve my English writing.
  • 24 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Sebalpda

welcome to our blogging section. Blogging is an awesome way to track progress that is also interactive for others. I know what you mean about spazzing too. Everything in me is telling me to fold but for some reason i click that call button and see a hand that i knew i was up against and lose lol.

Anyway, all the best for your goals,

Regards,
      Luke
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      Good luck with SN, ~150 games per day playing 7s hypers is enough to achieve it ;)
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Hi legand, thanks for the welcome.

Hi vuciitis, thanks for the data. I will probably start playing 15s, anyway. I played some (like 600). Results are irrelevant, but I feel confortable, and can table select (go out from tables with many regs) to get to be with 2 or more fishes.

Anyway, for now, I'm focused on Cash games, and i'm aiming Platinum Star this month, which is an 'almost insane' goal for me. And I'm late already.
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      U have to be super lazy not to get SN by playing 15s :D

And if u havent played stt hypers before i strongly suggest you to start at lower limit, because swings are brutal, u can get 200-300Bi swings, 50-100BI swings are kinda casual.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Yes, I agree , but, as I said, I'm not going to play Hypers ATM. The plan is to grind NL50 zoom 9max (and maybe one 6max, if I want to play 1000h/hr).

Also, I will be playing midstack. I don't know if 40-60bb playing is some sort of 'taboo' here too (as it is in 2+2).

Aiming to play 3k minimum today.

So far:

• sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      So, let's make a list of goals for this month:

:spade: The main one is Platinum Star on stars. (which includes lots of grinding, as I only get 0.11VPPs/hand).

:diamond: Create a good pre/post session.

:club: Post here at least once every 2 days.

:heart: Continue to develop the technical aspects of my game (videos, trainings, strategy, skype, etc).

No more poker for today:

I played 2 or 3 hands like an idiot in the last 150 hands, but overall it was a nice day of grind.

So, day in numbers:

Winnings/losings: +93.2bb
      Platinum: 6439 VPPs to go. (I made 448 today, pretty good vpp/hand)
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Quick update.

Graph of the month. I'm somewhat behind schedule, so I will have to grind a little bit more from now.

The good thing is that I'm having good pre / post sessions.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Quick update:

Month so far:

Still behind schedule.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze

Running like a motherfucker. But anyway, I'm behind but still able to become platinum star this month, so I'm going to keep grinding.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      It's time to put some goals.

In this 9 days, I will do my best to achieve platinum, as I said before. Within that, I'm finishing the deal I been playing with the last 75k hands (It was given by a friend of mine. I'm pretty sure my results are a little bit disappointing, but I'm still above 0$, so it's 'cool'.
      I'm making lots of mistakes in medium and big pots, as I find it really hard to believe fullring standard ranges are narrow as fuck (I was always a 6max player, so it's difficult to completely accept they are floating substantially less, on top of having a strong preflop range).
      I think I really need to be playing ch/fold in lots of boards and situations, in order to lose the minimum, and adapt to the reality that I will be obtaining lots of money preflop, so I MUST find 'nit'-folds postflop.

That being said. My plan is to continue playing zoom NL50 fullring (and 1 6max table) for one more month. I need to guarantee platinum star from here to the end of the year, if I want to be/stay on path for SN (which needs a little more effort btw).

My poker long term goal, is still moving to 6/9 man hypers (not that long, anyway, as I expect hypers to get tougher every month). Atm, I'm playing like 10 hypers a day, and I find lots of 'trivial-for-a-SNG-player' situations to be pretty hard, so It's gonna take some study, and lots of grinding. Also, the little timebank (10 seconds for all the sng) is really annoying.

So, cliffs:

:spade: zoom till April's end.
      :diamond: stop spewing postflop to narrow ranges
      :club: begin transition to 6/9 max hypers (like may or something)
      :heart: achieve SN at the end of the year.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      It's hard to keep this updated.

In short terms: 1050vpps left to platinum. 2 days to go. I expect Easter fishes. Lots of them.

Month is pretty bad, almost embarazing.

Anyway, this is BY FAR my single most grinded month ever, so I'm happy about that.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Still 5000 hands away from platinum. I'm pretty sure stars resets the month on Eastern Time, which gives me 8 hrs.

I'm not thaaaat confident that I'm going to make it, starting with the fact that it isn't great difference in terms of rakeback. Anyway, I'll try hard.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze

For those who like football analogies:

This is how I feel:

• mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sebalpda
      Also, I will be playing midstack. I don't know if 40-60bb playing is some sort of 'taboo'
      [/SPOILER]
      I think here is too lool

I also play mss nl50, but sh

gl ;)
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mawaykid
      Originally posted by sebalpda
      Also, I will be playing midstack. I don't know if 40-60bb playing is some sort of 'taboo'
      [/SPOILER]
      I think here is too lool

I also play mss nl50, but sh

gl ;)
      So, I guess you play a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT if you are diamond playing NL50. Congrats, anyway.

I was not sure if I should put some hands in here, because no one plays MSS, but I will, someday, now that I know you play it too.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Random thoughts in no particular order:

I've been thinking about my near future in poker, and im going to display my approximated options.

A) NL50, 4 9max tables, 1 6max. About 900h/hr (conservative estimation).

B) Hypers 6/9max 15$: 6 at a time, so I think I can play between 30 and 35 an hr. I really can't play more than this, for now. So, assuming 20 hands per sng, i would be playing between 600 and 700 hands an hr.

There is an important point to be made here: Although the common poker knowledge tells us to measure in terms of $/hr, I like to measure in terms of $/effort.

So, that said, in A I have to 'answer' 900 questions an hour. The majority of them, will be about stuff I really know, and I'll have an immediate and perfect answer (like being dealt 93o on UTG), but either way, part of them, are not going to be easy yes/no type of questions, as they will envolve postflop play.

So the 900 h /hr are basically 60% of the time folding trash, 25% of the time having a not that easy decision, and 15% (or more i don't know) having more than 1 decision to make: Like decide to open preflop, and then face a 3bet, 2 decisions, and can become more if you decide to flat).

In B path, I have 600/700, let's say 650 h /hr. So 650 questions to be answered. Really, REALLY few are going to force me to decide postflop, and eitherway, they won't be complex decisions like in cash games, just things like 'am I committed or not here'?. Anyway, the vast majority of these 650 hands, will be 'do you want to push or fold this hand'? Also, as I'm pretty new with this, there are lots of hands that I struggle with today, that will be an easyfold or easypush in the future (with practice and ICM study). So as decisions become more and more trivial, I can safely add tables.

So, now that I finished talking about that important topic (hands an hr, and the real effort than a hand demands), let's discuss another important one: The money.

Sticking to $/hr:

A) 50$ nlhe Zoom. 2bb/100 (conservative, but my game sucks anyways), 900 hands means 9 x 1$ (2bb) = 9$/hr.

B) 15s hypers 6/9 max): 2% Roi (I lobby select like a pussy, and I plan to continue to do so. That said, I should be able to get 0.30$/sng, even though my game is far from optimal. So, lets say 30 games, at 0.30$/sng = 9$ an hr. So this sucks.

Wait, lets check vpps:

A) 50$ nhe Zoom: At 0.11vpp/hand, it takes me 68182 hands to get Platinum. So thats 75,75 hrs.

B) 15s Hypers 6/9 max: I'll assume I play always 6max (conservative), so rake is 3,25vpps per sng, so 2308 sngs would make Platinum. 76,92 hrs.

So, ass you can see, this sucks.

With that I would stick with Zoom, cause I feel more confortable, and my bankroll is a bit more protected (less std desviation). But the thing is, I know an hr of hypers is probably lighter in terms of number and difficulty of decisions.

For now, safe is winning, (which is Zoom50, so I think I will be grinding there, and keep insta-spending every 235fpps I get on sats to sunday storm 11$, so I can get my bankroll to move up. Then, we will see.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      First on a 3.5+R 180 max, so 501$ to the bank. Good to back up the important downswing I'm having on 15$ hypers. I will stick to Zoom50 from now on, for a while.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      So, now I have 3k bankroll. So I will be grinding Zoom50 till I get at least 4500$ (300 15$ buy ins), so I can grinding hypers if I want to.

That been said, maintaining platinum will be pretty hard, probably harder than last month, but I will be aiming to it anyways.

Aiming at 15$ an hr, it will take me 100 hrs of full grind (or like 120 including the 'half brain' time. It would be amazing to hit a sweet upswing btw.

Ok, so:

Pretty simple: Grind zoom50 till platinum.
    • sebalpda
      sebalpda
      Bronze
      Amazingly late from platinum, and probably won't make more than gold this month on stars, because I will be playing mainly on another site.

I hit the 55$ Ante-up Turbo today. 2nd: 1380$. I was dealing 50/50 with a friend, so only half of the winnings are mine.

I asked for ICM chop, but that terrible money manager son of the bitch reg won't go for it. So he forced me to play a HU SNG (10bb deep) buy in: 300$ (that's the equivalent, being that the first place was worth 600$ more.)

My bank hit 4k$, so that's kind of nice. I think grinding NL50 on this new site will be the best option. If I play a bunch, and feel confortable with the results, I will have a bad time deciding if I want to move to hypers, or grind NL100. (which will lead to awesome results if I can manege to get a good bb/100 in a site with less regs than stars. I hope I correctly adapt to the software, as that's really the big deal when moving out from stars.

My HM database went corrupt, so I think I wont be able to open it again. This does not bother me that much, actually, because I was already planing to buy PT4. So I did -I got 60% off for owning PT3 from the past-, and I will start from zero with it in the new site.

So cliffs:

:diamond: HM database crashed like fuck. Moving to PT4.
      :spade: Really far from platinumstar. I think I will be gold this month, not great difference, and will be ok to keep in touch with stars, and rake some for poker strategy.
      :club: Planing to grind NL50 on a new softer site, and then decide to move to NL100, or start with 15$ hyper 6/9.
      :heart: Keep up with the study, specially since I believe there is a lot of value in the correct use of PT4. Mark hands I have doubts with, and that shit.