The lost one

• babbas90
      babbas90
      Black
      Hi everybody, I am a 22 year old student from Germany and I am currently playing nl100 zoom.

Poker history:

I started with FL in 2008 and moved on to Nl100 (with my FL BR) in 2009 where I was a bit stuck until 2010. I was tilting too much and doing not enough theory, so I changed that in 2010 and from that point on I was going hard. By may I was shotting Nl1k and over the whole year I was beating Nl400-1k with 6bb/100 over 200k hands. So 2011 I decided to go real big, I already took coachings from a highstakes crusher in the mid/end of 2010 but I somehow decided to make it on my own in 2011(I have no idea why). The Year began worse than one could imagine, I wanted to take a break in Jan and Feb due to exams but managed to drop like 10k playing games I normally dont play (FL,FL08,mixed games) I also cashed out frequently, bought a car etc so my BR was reaching a critical point for playing 1k regularly. Realising what just happened I was on constant tilt. I took tiltshots on 2k, lost 3 stacks->was even more on tilt and by end of July I was down 30k$ and the most redic part is, I was only playing b/e on my homelimits 400-1k (5stacks down in 90k hands). I felt like a gambling addict who just lost almost all of his money playing random poker variants. W/e I managed to b/e including rakeback by the end of the year (played 400k hands all in all). I switched to PLO in the end of 2011 and hit a nice upswing in Jan on plo200 , I also took coachings there but of course after my first downswing I tilted 80% of the time I played. I was b/e in plo by June and did the transition to NLHE again starting with nl100 zoom. I was doing pretty well and moved up to nl200 in septembre where I hit a nice upswing but I also played pretty well and prettty aggro which worked out well. I took some shots to 2/5 but lost couple of k's there.

Goals and aspirations for poker:

My goal was always to make enough money to do a trip around the world with my girlfriend after we both finish uni. I'll have to pay for her since shes a student as well. I guess 100k€ for both of us would be a nice backhold. We're already travelling a lot and theres nothing more important for me to see the whole world before I get old. Furthermore it is always nice to have some money on the bank the makes one feel save.

What do you struggle with:

tilt, tilt , tilt.... and playing from the blinds and playing 3betpots oop.

What do you want to get out of bootcamp:

I hope to get motivated by all the other playerd and especially the coaches to work harder on my game and most of all my mindset. Furthermore I hope to improve my game especially the topics named above.

cheers and gl y'all
  • 14 replies
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      tilt, tilt , tilt....
      Hey babbas90!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching.

So tilt is the big issue? Well let's get started on removing them from your game shall we? Can you give as detailed an explanation you can on your current tilt issues. Anything you can think of. The more you write the easier for me to help! :)

Check out Schnitzelfischs thread as well!

Welcome to the Bootcamp!

Cheers!
    • babbas90
      babbas90
      Black
      hi, thanks for the welcome.

There are many things that tilt me while grinding. I'll try to point them out with the worst issue followed by the less worse one etc.

1) I am in the middle of the Hand and have to decide to take a certain line. When its my turn I somehow , for no reason take a different line (maybe because I am too curious or w/e). If the taken line then goes wrong (villain calls/raises or anything I didnt want him to do) I'll be on tilt for !at least! the next 30min of my session and will play way to loose especially postflop.

2) Its my turn on the river (wether oop or ip) and I have to make a decision if I want to valuebet thin or check-(behind) , if I decide to vbet thin and get raised / called by better I will be insta on tilt for at least the next 30min ...see above. If I check and villain checks back or shows worse I'll only be on tilt for maybe the next 10min.

3) If I calldown a loose player and I know the biggest part of his range is trash and he still shows up with the nuts ill be on tilt for probably also 30min

4) If I constantly lose pots (wether I have to fold a kinda strong hand, or a bluff goes wrong) over like 1k hands I'll be on tilt for the whole day

5) If I get sucked out by fish or a bad reg (Villains I know I have a big edge on) I'll be on tilt for the next couple of hands, if the scenario repeats a couple of time see point 4)

6) if 4) repeats over a couple of days Ill be on tilt for a whole week or even until I hit an upswing (that happened in my NL200 graph) and also a couple of times in 2011

I guess those are the most common scenarios
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hello again! :)

I see we have some stuff to work on!

When you decide to change your line do you tend to change from an aggressive to a passive one?

When you value bet thin on the river and for example does that come as a "suprise" to you in session. Did you take the chance of being check raised in as a factor in your decision making? Did you check his River CR stat for example? The only thing he can do is to raise you (call and the hand is over). you need to anticipate that before it happens. is anticipation something that coems naturally to you?

Let's focus on these issues for now.. :)
    • babbas90
      babbas90
      Black
      Hi,

When I decide to change my line it is either passive or aggressive, mostly I am taking a line where I am just not folding , wether I call or raise is pretty random I guess.

The weird thing is when vbetting thin I am always considering to get raised and even before betting I somehow tell myself it is time to tilt if he raises, even though I often know it was a +ev bet and villain bluff nearly never. I just hate to not see villains cards if I bet the river, I guess thats the biggest problem. If I put villain on a range I want to see the showdown to check if I was right but still dont want to let out value by just check/calling or checkbehind.

To be honest I actually never check c/r river stat since most samples are too small, but thats pretty ignorant now when I think about it, I will definitely work on that.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by babbas90
      1. When I decide to change my line it is either passive or aggressive, mostly I am taking a line where I am just not folding , wether I call or raise is pretty random I guess.

2. I just hate to not see villains cards if I bet the river, I guess thats the biggest problem.

3.To be honest I actually never check c/r river stat since most samples are too small, but thats pretty ignorant now when I think about it, I will definitely work on that.
      1. Ok, you might even want to be more detailed here and take a session or three and just note when it happens in game. Sometimes we have a selective memory so to speak. Finding out what the ration is is always good. Also try to look for if the emotions are different when you change to passive strategy or to an aggressive one. You might for example have certain tendencies scertain session etc.

2. Why do you think this is such a big issue for you? Have you thought about i more in depth?

3. Great! Try to really make it into a habit. :)

Great work!
    • babbas90
      babbas90
      Black
      Hi,

today I planned to leave all the thin bets out (the ones where the line between +ev and -ev is very thin) , mark them and post them here so we can talk about them, I'll also post them in the strategy forums to see what other grinders think

2. I guess its just to prove myself if my assumptions about his range where true or wrong. But on the other hand I know that this logic is flawed since he will only show me 2 cards and not his whole range on the river.

3. I'll try hard
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Hi,

1.today I planned to leave all the thin bets out (the ones where the line between +ev and -ev is very thin) , mark them and post them here so we can talk about them, I'll also post them in the strategy forums to see what other grinders think

2. I guess its just to prove myself if my assumptions about his range where true or wrong. But on the other hand I know that this logic is flawed since he will only show me 2 cards and not his whole range on the river.

3. I'll try hard
      1. I understand you hesitancy to go for thin value. But if you play scared then you are actually bringing "skewed" hands to the analysis. And if you decide before hand to take passive lines for fear of the outcome that will hurt your game.

2. Ask yourself this. If you have already reached the decision that his range in a certain spot is a -EV for you to call on the river for example. Even if you call how will that prove/disprove anything since its such a small part of his range tin that situation? If you worry about the specific outcome then that is bringing results orientation into it right? You only care about his range. Here comes a trick question. Let's say you have the right read on his range on the river to fold, but just sill call. would you rather be right and win the pot or wrong and lose?

3. yes! Keep working hard! :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there babbas90, are you still with us soldier? :)

I can understand time is often an issue, but it would be great if you could update your thread, it keeps it current and encourages others to post here as well. :)

March on,

Mal.
    • babbas90
      babbas90
      Black
      Hey mate,

sry I didnt zoom much lately but succesfully shotted nl200 again. I tightened up my game in a lot of situations where I was just to loose. I started playing hu again as well which is a lot of fun. I am more active in the strategy section than I used to be which is very good.Tiltwise I am in a pretty good state ingame I guess, but it is going to be put to the test when I run bad again. Going to update more frequently again
    • babbas90
      babbas90
      Black
      Wanted to let you know that I just played my first zoom session today and I dropped 4 stacks in like 15min but didnt tilt in a single hand. Probably played my best poker for the whole month, instantly made 7 stacks aftwerwards :rolleyes: .

...Making progress !!! :f_love:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      That's the kind of post I can read all day, truthfully so. Seven stacks, good grief! :s_cool:

No point wishing you run good when you don't need it then. :)

Mal.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Wanted to let you know that I just played my first zoom session today and I dropped 4 stacks in like 15min but didnt tilt in a single hand. Probably played my best poker for the whole month, instantly made 7 stacks aftwerwards :rolleyes: .

...Making progress !!! :f_love:
      Ok here it is important that you look back and try to figure out exactly what you did to improve on this. Don't sop working on these things and try to find even more. Then you are actively preparing for the downswing that you are worrying about right now. Do active things to make sure it doesn't show up and that you are ready for it if it does.

So what changed? What did you do to improve so far? :)

Awesome job! :s_love:
    • babbas90
      babbas90
      Black
      I am currently reading mathematics of poker and read a chapter which supported the way I think about the game and my style of playing. So got back at the tables knowing I have a huge edge on nl100 ! If ! I DONT tilt. I often start tilting if I think my edge is not big enough to beat the luckfactor mid-term.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      I am currently reading mathematics of poker and read a chapter which supported the way I think about the game and my style of playing. So got back at the tables knowing I have a huge edge on nl100 ! If ! I DONT tilt. I often start tilting if I think my edge is not big enough to beat the luckfactor mid-term.

Good work so far!

Can you go a bit more in depth on your tilt issues? :)