[NL20-NL50] KJ squeeze

• gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $20 (100 bb)
      MP: $30.66 (153.3 bb)
      CO: $24.48 (122.4 bb)
      BTN: $17.08 (85.4 bb)
      Hero (SB): $26.72 (133.6 bb)
      BB: $28.06 (140.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K J
      UTG raises to $0.60, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.60, Hero raises to $2.40, BB folds, UTG calls $1.80, BTN calls $1.80

Flop: ($7.40) J 4 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $4, UTG raises to $17.60 and is all-in, BTN folds, Hero????????

Should i even be cbetting here? JJ+ 4bet fold, think people mostly setmine here. just bet fold it?
  • 5 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey gxtwo,

Preflop squeeze is fine, so long as you feel this specific UTG is going to give you credit and make some tight folds.

On the flop I wouldn't even cbet. It's very unlikely you get called by worse, and UTG's calling range is likely very strong. It was a bluff preflop, so it's not suddenly a value hand just because we spiked top pair.

As played, easy fold to shove imo. Very often you are crushed, and best case scenario is you have something like 53% equity vs A:sK.
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      no real reads ANON tables. but UTG looked tag and btn fishy.

I kinda thought i have the best hand on this flop alot of the time. UTG would 4bet QQ+, AK.

he might try and slow play AA since we have fish on BTN?

when we bet the flop, we fold out UTGs pps and get called by BTNs weaker hands?

Or is this thought process all wrong? :f_cry:
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by gxtwo

I kinda thought i have the best hand on this flop alot of the time. UTG would 4bet QQ+, AK.
      Maybe you will have the best hand a decent amount. The problem is that the stuff you beat from UTG's range is going to be things like TT, AK, AQ, which are not calling anyway. The rest of his range is going to be JJ+, which has you in bad shape. Basically betting is just a huge protection bet, you don't usually get any value.

when we bet the flop, we fold out UTGs pps and get called by BTNs weaker hands?
      Well, we don't really gain anything by folding out UTG's PP's, we beat them anyway. Also he's unlikely to turn them into a bluff on a later street, + he has only around 8% equity. I don't really think he's going to have a lot of stuff like 99 or below if he's taggy anyway.

The only merit to a bet might be if the BTN was a huge fish and will literally just call pf and flop with anything. Unless I had reads I'd still assume even his range is going to be stuff like PP's that won't call, or stuff like AJ that has us beat.

Pretty general rule I advise - if you were bluffing preflop it only becomes an immediate value hand if you flop two pair or better.
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l

The rest of his range is going to be JJ+.....
      But don't you think he either 4bets or folds this part of his range preflop? gues its hard to say without stats. but this was my main reason for betting the flop.

Also ive sent FR, for possible skype/ coaching? :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      But don't you think he either 4bets or folds this part of his range preflop? gues its hard to say without stats. but this was my main reason for betting the flop.
      You represent so much strength by squeezing from SB vs UTG open that I wouldn't be suprised if he just flats a lot of his big hands.

I wouldn't necessarily assume he is always 4betting any premiums as standard in this spot. AK/QQ won't even be a profitable stack off in this spot at these limits when blinds 3bet vs UTG open.

Also ive sent FR, for possible skype/ coaching? :)
      Sure, community invite accepted :)