$10.00
      MP2:
      $10.15
      MP3:
      $10.46
      CO:
      $11.15

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.30, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.90, SB folds, BB calls $0.80, MP3 calls $0.60.

Flop: ($2.75) 5, Q, 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.75) A (3 players)
      BB bets $1.31, MP3 folds, Hero calls $1.31.

River: ($5.37) 7 (2 players)
      BB bets $3.84, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.37.

i only have 3 hands on MP so he's unknown, but BB is 17/13 and folds to 100% of 3bets over 116 hands. i expect him to have an extremely tight cold call range of something like TT/JJ/QQ/AQs.

on the flop i decided to check back since people's ranges have a ton of Qx hands now... not sure if this is the best play or if i should keep everything simple by bet/folding.

turn i don't know what to do. i have TPTK but the nitty guy has an extremely strong range. i called without much of a plan..

the river is a blank but he barrels again. im thinking once i call the turn i should call this blank, but when i thought about it he could easily have gone for a checkraise on the flop and failed, so his line is pure value. i think im screwed here so i decided not to invest any more money.

might mean something that BB was also snap betting the turn and river..

if i'm not prepared to call a blank river, should i fold the turn? or can i assume he might check some hands to me on the river.

thanks
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey DrDunne,

Usually vs an uknown MP opener I flat AKo as standard (at these stakes). Certain players will certainly call worse, but if he's a regular he might only continue with AK/JJ+ when you 3bet vs MP open.

I don't see any need to cbet flop, both MP3 and BB have reasonably strong ranges.

On the turn, you have to call at least once because you have the nut-flush-draw. You don't get the direct pot odds, but you will have some river implieds, also the best hand some of the time.

The river is where it helps to know your opponent. For all we know he could be some 85/10 guy who value-bets any Ace here. (Btw even a 3 hand sample will give you a clue)

I don't think folding is terrible or anything, but I'd call river, expecting to be beat a decent amount. Villain only needs to be value-betting worse, or bluffing, 29% of the time in order for a call to be profitable.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      The river is where it helps to know your opponent. For all we know he could be some 85/10 guy who value-bets any Ace here. (Btw even a 3 hand sample will give you a clue)
      hey weazel! i think you might have misread the info - the unknown guy is no longer in the pot so i'm now vs 17/13 guy with a 100% fold to 3bet. so he's gunna have an extremely narrow range by the river
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Sorry, my bad, got the opponents the wrong way round. First 3 paragraphs are ok at least ;)

I'd probably fold river in this case. You still have to call turn because of your nut flush draw.