is there really fish at every stake?

• johnberry256
      johnberry256
      Bronze
      I have been playing for about two-three weeks now, in the lower stakes, and once in a while I see that yeah, there are some people that seems to just throw away their money.

Is there people like this in every stake? (I don't like the term fish) because, truth to be said, I'm a little scared :D of go to the next stake since I believe nobody gives away anything in the upper levels and it becomes a true grind.

What are your thoughts on this?
  • 14 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi johnberry256,

Moved this to beginners questions for you ok?

Regards,

Mal.
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      I believe the word 'fish' is a relative term. You may be a shark on a particular level, or table, but a fish on a higher level. So even some professionals could be described as a 'fish' if they sit at a table full of opponents such as Phil Ivy and Tom Dwan for example. A donkey however, is a donkey. No matter what stakes they play at. In my opinion.
    • Rick21
      Rick21
      Bronze
      It really depends on the day of the week, generally on a weekend you will get fishes playing at low-mid stake levels, I believe the most profitable times are friday nights/all day saturday and sunday/Bank holidays
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hi Johnberry

I agree with arthurbentley that fish is a relative term but usually means those players who lack strategy and consistently make moves with negative expected value. These players will be on every stake but as one moves up the stakes fish are much harder to come by. It's fair enough to be cautious when moving up stakes because as fish become less frequent, sharks become more frequent. So build up your confidence on your current stakes until you are one of the sharks and go fishing!

All the best,
      Luke
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Tables form around the fish at every level. Try opening up and railing few tables of let's say NL200 and guess who the fish is, then notice how the table will usually quickly break once the mark is gone.

With that said, a MSNL fish will usually be stronger than NL10 fish. And regulars will be significantly stronger and would eat a 10NL reg who decided to take a random shot at MSNL with his whole br. :f_biggrin:
    • KiddArmenia
      KiddArmenia
      Bronze
      geezus, i played a sit and go tournament with some damn noob who went all in with K4 against my QQ, but ofcourse the donk won. Shopuld've seen the way he was playing, wouldve gotten killed in 5 minutes in a live tourny the way he played.. oh man
    • KiddArmenia
      KiddArmenia
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arthurbentley
      I believe the word 'fish' is a relative term. You may be a shark on a particular level, or table, but a fish on a higher level. So even some professionals could be described as a 'fish' if they sit at a table full of opponents such as Phil Ivy and Tom Dwan for example. A donkey however, is a donkey. No matter what stakes they play at. In my opinion.
      a fish was used on the same contex as a donkey.
      Early in the poker years, they would call players that we call donks, as fish.
      The term fish just changed to donks.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Some levels have no fish.
      I have not yet played NL 100 :coolface:

No matter how good you are, no matter what level you play, there will be players with more skill than you, and players with less.

Calling other players "fish", "noob", "donkey" and the like is something IMO is done by weaker players who want to feel strong themselves.

On any given day, the weaker players can get better hands, and the more highly skilled players will -- rather often actually -- overplay their premium hands.

I learned a lot from the following chatbox exchange I saw in my first shot at NL 50.

The BU had opened raised 6:s7, was 3Bet by the SB and called.
      He flopped a straight. SB bet large, the BU 3Bet and the SB shoved AA and lost.

In the chat window SB typed:
      "What kind of idiot would call a 3bet with 67s ?!?"
      BU replied: "The kind that will take all your money when he flops a straight and you shove on such a bad board".

I watched a WPT final table on TV a few days ago.
      A former champion 3Bet w/ J5o

There are fish at every level.
      You yourself will be one unless you learn to judge your own skill, judge the other player's skill, and learn to read boards, hands and players.

This is the place to do it.

All the best,
      --VS
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      idk i just think everyone is terrible at poker. works for me.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Are you playing at "partypoker" Vorpal? :coolface:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I haven't for a while.

That's why I say there's no fish :D
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I haven't for a while.

That's why I say there's no fish :D
      lol I was refering to the new "fair play" system at party....If there are no fish at your tables then you are a winning player :s_wink:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I played 1 table of NL10 there last night for a lark.

There were 3 nits, 2 maniacs and me at our table.

I had about 40 hands on 1 of the nits, 100 odd on one of the maniacs, so I'm pretty sure I'm in amongst the rabble.

Maybe I should play some NLHE again.
      I've been off it for over two weeks.

--VS
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      I have not yet played NL 100 :coolface:

No matter how good you are, no matter what level you play, there will be players with more skill than you, and players with less.

Calling other players "fish", "noob", "donkey" and the like is something IMO is done by weaker players who want to feel strong themselves.

All the best,
      --VS
      + 1. This whole post is right on the money. Their are weak and solid players at every Level. Want you want to be looking for is what makes them weak and what makes them strong. And capitalize on the weakness.

Here's an example. You just sat down at a 6 max. Another player joins the table. They have 40 buyins in front of them and are they are 1 hand away from being the bb and post out of ordeR. Folds to the bu who limps in, sb folds bb checks and the on the flop bb checks, 40bber checks and bu bets half pot, bb folds 40bber calls, turn and river goes the same wayat show down bb shows the winner,40bber shows a4 card gut shot and loses 15 bb's. You also see that he didn't top up and plays what's in front of them and played the rest of his hands the same way til they went broke an left the table. The Bu on the other hand plays a LPAS Style who goes to showdown 45% of the time but their win rate at showdown is 19%. You noted while playin bu tops up their stack if stack goes below 10bb. So are these 2 fish or weak players that you can capitalize on cause of their weak tendencies.

I played Nl200 today and at the table there is a multi table player I have played over 200 hands with. His stats were VPIP 8. PFR 2, 3bet, Steal and cbet are all very low under 5. But his folds are high as well in both blinds. He is also playing 12 tables. I don't know about fish but he is weak reg that you can make money with. My point is don't worry about labels, watch for mistakes that show weakness