Won 2X VIP Status at Pokerstars

• bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      I played a lot of SnG's last night, and didn't sleep - was about to when I saw it was the last day for the bronzestar 2X VIP freeroll. I stayed up and entered...and played and played til I placed top 99. My nick on Pokerstars is cyclotronic, finished 63/3127 finally losing JJ to someone who called my all in 5BB left in MP with 66.

The craziest part was about 150 players left and only 12BB left. i finally caught AA and doubled up after folding about 50 hands in a row.

Then I did somethings you only do in tourneys where the bubble is very close and it''s do or die.

I catch QQ UTG2. The guy to my left (turbobac) who doubled my AA is playing 71/14 and killing the table - hope he doesn't call this time...it's only 30 or so players to the bubble and I'm not in the cutfor sure yet..

No Limit Holdem Tournament
      9 players

Stacks:
      UTG+1 Hero (23855)

Blinds: 800/1600 Ante 150

Pre-flop: (3750, 9 players) Hero is UTG+1 Q Q
      1 fold, Hero goes all-in 23705, 7 folds

Final Pot: 5350

Hero wins 27455 ( won +3750 )

The very next hand? UTG = QQ. I press time. Thinking, thinking, and then actually fold. I mean how can i push twice in a row UTG, into some really loose players fighting for their tourney lives. I have barely enough to fold down to the bubble now so I muck my queens...

No Limit Holdem Tournament
      9 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG Hero (27455)
      CO joglowski (79763)
      BB theripster (71236)

Blinds: 800/1600 Ante 150

Pre-flop: (3750, 9 players) Hero is UTG Q Q
      Hero folds, 4 folds, joglowski raises to 3200, 2 folds, theripster calls 1600

Flop: K A T (8550, 2 players)
      theripster checks, joglowski checks

Turn: J (8550, 2 players)
      theripster checks, joglowski checks

River: T (8550, 2 players)
      theripster bets 3200, joglowski raises to 16000, theripster folds

Final Pot: 14950
      joglowski shows: A A

joglowski wins 27750 ( won +8550 )
      theripster lost -6400

If I'd have pushed, I'd have seen the AA ahead, then behind, and then come back to beat me on the river, ending my hopes right before the bubble. I folded and narrowly avoided misery. I'm still thinking about what might have happened...

later on, AK UTG, easy fold :-) The loose cannon behind me raises is called, and wins with trip 3's.. not an A or a K on the board. I survive!
  • 5 replies
    • riv3rd4ncer
      riv3rd4ncer
      Bronze
      don't understand... you're shortstacked and blinds are already 1600.

QQ UTG fold?
      AK UTG easy fold?

edit: nvm... didn't notice there is no difference between 99th and 2nd place.
      might as well fold your way to victory then :D
      gg
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      Top 99 win the status, there's like 110-120 left at that point I was 81st and I thought I can make it if i fold, possibly not if I play. Second QQ hand in a row was too much to ask to push and get all folds UTG.

I figured it was +EV but -$EV to play. Same w AK. so close to the bubble and enough stack to last a few more rounds Turned out they were good folds both times, and I lasted until the bubble burst.

I'd never fold them UTG any n other circumstances I can think of..

ty. well worth the lack of sleep
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      AA or not,second hand is horribly played ;)
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      update: They changed my status to Gold for about 12 hours, but I got a notice saying it was a mistake and that they'd change it back. Now I don't understand how the system works, but does this mean I've already got 1501VPP's for august? Do your points carry over to the next month?

• TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      nice!
      well played also, no need to risk it all with QQ/AK since a lot of hands have a lot of equity against them :)