[NL2-NL10] 2nd pair with Ace on the Board

• ephidyon
      ephidyon
      Bronze
      Full Tilt, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, Rush, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $5.68 (113.6 bb)
      UTG: $8.27 (165.4 bb)
      MP: $5.47 (109.4 bb)
      CO: $1.35 (27 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $4.01 (80.2 bb)
      SB: $9.89 (197.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 7 T
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, SB folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 4 7 A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30

Turn: ($0.92) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB folds

Results:
      $0.92 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: 4 7 A A
      BB mucked and lost (-$0.45 net)
      Hero mucked 7 T and won $0.86 ($0.41 net)

Could the hand have been better played?
  • 4 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      what do u think called you on the flop? probably the A or a draw like 56 35 58 or a made hand like 78 which you beat.

i dont think the turn bet gets you any value and if you are thinking of betting the turn you might as well check and bluffcatch busted draws on the river. the A on the turn makes it less likely that he has an A
    • dienaszaglis
      dienaszaglis
      Bronze
      Hi!

HERO, I would suggest for you to buy in 100bb and check option to auto rebuy to max. Of course if your`e not playing MSS.

About flop action: would it be OK to check back flop and re-evaluate turn? There are not much value and we have something to showdown.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Dry ace flop is a standard cbet flop IP, and its not like our 7 is a made hand to slow play for value. I don't like checking behind on this, even vs maniacs.

Rather cbet and mostly take the pot down here than risk letting hands catch better pairs than ours on later streets and leave us in a terrible situation of having to call "induced bluffs" that are often going to be valuebets from 88-JJ or something that caught the turn or river.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      its better to bet since there are many hands with equity that could fold to your bet for example hands like 89 9T 9J TK TJ QT etc.

and also when you bet the A would usually call and check the turn giving you the option to check back to draw for your 7 and T to improve. If you would have checked then you would now need to call a bet from the A on the turn and give the turn card free to BB

diena is right we should always buy in for 100bb for the odds to be correct when we play big stack strategy for example to apply the call 20 rule when calling for set mining odds.

Jaissica is right about the CB on dry board and the reasoning behind is to fold out non A hands that have equity against us as mentioned above are 89 9T 9J TK TJ QT . I would also bet without the 7.

cgf