Let's begin my poker career

• CharlesPkR
      CharlesPkR
      Bronze
      Hello,

I'm Charles, a member from the french community and I watch the english forum for some time. My english is certainly not perfect, so don't hesitate to correct me if I make big mistaks or if I write something not clear.

I began poker a long time ago, when I was a child (< 18), but I really take it seriously since 2010, year of the poker regulation law in France, when I discovered cash game (before that, I played SnG 1-3$). I play now in 100NL for two-three months but I don't have a lot of BIs so the 50NL is still not so far.
      I always have worked a lot my poker game. First I looked a lot of videos and participated in a lot of coachings, which make me progress very fast to the 25-50NL. But then, I stayed stuck at this limit for maybe a year or more because of my poor winrate and my poor mental.

Today my mental game is really better. I'm not so affected by the results. I don't know exactly my results for the last months as I could know it one year ago. I read the Jared's book "Mental Game of Poker" which I found very very instructive and helpful, and I even don't have read much of the book.

I think now I have to perform my poker game, but I don't know how to do it truly effective. I watch videos but I find it boring now (since I am diamond, I find really good videos, and I also watch some from dc or bf which I find interesting). I read some books of theory like "Easy Game" from BalugaWhale, but I have difficulties to link it with my game on the tables. I post hands but I don't find the answer really helpful. So I feel a little stuck and that boot camp is a really good opportunity for me.

I play on TurpoPoker.fr, which is a french poker room (even if I'm now in Canada) on the ipoker.fr network. The level is pretty bad, the rakeback not so bad, the soft is bad but I still feel nice with it, so I feel well there. (To those who read me, please don't go there =D).

My goal with poker is to be a really good player, who can earn a lot of money and who crush the tables. That means I don't want to be a rakeback pro, even if that means I win thousands of $ each month. I want to crush the 100nl with minimum 5bb/100, and if possible 10bb/100. I don't want to be like the others who can laboriously have a 2 or 3bb/100.
      I don't know pleno1 for a long time, but I'm already in love with him and his style. I really enjoyed his last coachings (well, that one this afternoon with preflop ranges was pretty boring for me, but still), I discovered his AMA with the english forum, he's one of my three idols.

Well =D I think you have now an idea of who I am, what I did in poker and what I want. I'm also very active in the french community, I wrote an article about BRM for the french page and I'm analyst at the micro stakes section and I have a lot of haters. I'm a student in statistic, 22 years old.
      I have the bad habit to make some "tl;dr" post, hope the language barrier will stop me :D
  • 7 replies
    • CharlesPkR
      CharlesPkR
      Bronze
      Oops, I forgot to post my results and stats :

Lifetime results :

With SD lines (my redline is now not so bad, almost be) :

NL50 :

NL100 :

As you can see, I'm like a winning player, but I don't win a lot. That's a very bad thing for me. I want to be the best on my limit, I want to double or even triple my winrate. And I want to have a graph which make other players dreaming (and being jealous), as I am when I look at some graph (like lnternet's one)
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by CharlesPkR
      But then, I stayed stuck at this limit for maybe a year or more because of my poor winrate and my poor mental.

Today my mental game is really better. I'm not so affected by the results. I don't know exactly my results for the last months as I could know it one year ago. I read the Jared's book "Mental Game of Poker" which I found very very instructive and helpful, and I even don't have read much of the book.
      Hey Charles!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. So if you have any questions you can just post them
      here and let me know in my Q&A thread if I take too long to reply. I'll be trolling around the forums but just so I don't miss anything. :)

Nice to hear that you've been able to fix so much of your issues on your own, if there is anything you need to address I'd be happy to help! :)

Welcome to the bootcamp! :)

Cheers!
    • CharlesPkR
      CharlesPkR
      Bronze
      Hi Erik !

I could have some questions for you.

After seeing the serie Tolerance from deucescracked and the beginning of the book "Mental Game of Poker" from Jared Tendler, I noticed the importance of the pre- and post-session routines. I tried to do it but still struggle with it. How to do it properly ?

For my pre-session routine, I try now to write the objective of the session, the length and the number of tables played. I focus on it and start the session. That's all.

For the post-session… I'd like simply to review some hands but, most of the time I just forget and do something else even before all my tables are closed.

What could you advice about it ?
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Well this will actually be covered in the upcoming video series. So i would recommend waiting for that since it covers everything in more detail..

I think the setting session goals on what spots or strategy concepts like 3b defense to work on and focus a ton on that pre-session is good. Then mark those hands you struggle with and review them after the session.

Cheers! :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Charles how are you doing?

Any update on your progress with session planning? Keeping your thread up to date will help motivate others to post here as well.

Regards and have fun with Bootcamp,

Mal.
    • CharlesPkR
      CharlesPkR
      Bronze
      Hi,

Thanks for the up.

Unfortunately I did not commit myself to the Bootcamp as I wished.
      And there is also the fact that for 1 week I play now HU CG, so the 6-max interest me less. But still I read some other soldier's pages which were really interesting.

Anyway the things are going well for me, I'm sorry I did not update my thread.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Charles, sorry for the delay in replying.

Good luck with those HU games sir, run good! :)

Of course you will still be welcome to take advantage of the other aspects of Bootcamp that may fit your needs. :)

Have fun and run hot :)

Mal.