[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH AA

• DrDunne
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, CO folds, BU calls $0.30, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.75) 7, 9, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BU calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.75) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90.

River: ($3.55) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40.

Final Pot: $8.35.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and nines(A A).
      BU shows a pair of nines(T Q).

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and nines(A A).

villain is an unknown; vpip = 100 over 1 hand.

on the flop would it be standard to go broke facing a raise? or to call the raise to keep bluffs in?

on the turn i'm really not worried about pretty much any river card so i decided to check to induce bluffs.

on the river it is the worst card that could have come, but still he has many hands that will continue betting like KQ/KJ/KTs, maybe 88/66/55/44/33/22 that he turns into bluffs. i also block some NF combos too so unless he calls preflop with QsJs/JsTs or some SCs im still way ahead. should i have just kept betting myself since i'm facing an unknown player and have no read that he'll stab when checked to?
  • 1 reply
    • kymupa

Preflop raising is fine.

Postflop I prefer just betting myself against unknown.
      Going into check/call lines would be apropriate if we knew the opponent's tendencies, but without knowing anything this is more likely to put us in a tough spot.
      As played, the river is close, since when we check/called the turn we did represented showdown value, so I would rather be inclined to fold the river since FD got there, also the K is a scary card and he might not value bet hands like TT/JJ here.

Also, flop is a bet/fold here. I would definitely not go broke here if he raises.