[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh AA multiway

• DrDunne
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A.
      MP2 raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, SB calls $0.70, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.55.

Flop: ($2.35) T, 4, Q (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.65, SB calls $1.65, MP2 calls $1.65.

Turn: ($7.3) 7 (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($7.3) 4 (3 players)
      SB bets $17.32(All-In), MP2 folds, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $7.3.

this hand tilted me because i didn't want to overplay it, but i feel like i ended up underplaying it.

preflop is standard. on the flop i decided to bet pretty large since we are multiway and the board is somewhat wet.

once SB check/calls here i get a bad feeling and TT and QQ are both in his range now. of course, AQ and maybe KQs is as well..

on the turn i decided to go for pot control instead of value since any further betting will commit me.

once he jams on the river im obviously way behind. he was likely going for a checkraise on the turn after check/calling the flop. literally everything gets there and i think his hand screams FH praying that i have the NF.

do you think i can bet for value and a free showdown on the turn, or is it okay like this?

• 1 reply
    • mbml

I think we can assume that MP is the fish. I don't know about SB. When there's a fish in the hand, I don't really care about overplaying AA in a 3b pot. I'll just keep firing and hope to get max value from AQ/KQ. If SB is a tight reg and MP folds postflop while SB calls, then you can be more cautious after that.

Flop: Half pot should suffice. I think this size is a little too large.

Turn: I'll bet again with MP still in the hand. Half pot or slightly under half pot.

River: I don't think SB will go crazy with bluffing here with the fish still in the hand. I don't put him on any busted draw too (like KJs) because he probably folds that preflop.

In short,
      1) You played AA too weakly with a fish in the hand
      2) Play more conservatively vs the tight reg who can have TT/QQ a lot
      3) If both players are still in the hand, continue betting smallish, like 40% pot to gain value. If the reg ships you can consider folding. Don't think he would want to overplay his AQ type of hands when we are repping KK/AA so hard and people usually don't fold these hands in 3b pots.