only 6 max soldiers survive a gutshot

• retic
      retic
      Bronze
      hey guys. hope im not too late :-)

im from austria and started to play poker a couple of years ago. just 4 fun. tried out sngs fixed limit und tourneys and finally nl.
      from a learning point i tecnically did everything wrong u can. i wanted to to learn way way too much at one time. was only learning when things went bad and not consistantly. and of course started too mass table way way too soon. oh and my mental game also suckt. but nevertheless i made it to a 1 bb/100 grinder on nl 25 to nl 100(only 4 80k hands :s_cry: ). mmm yeah i know i was a rakeback whore :D . i ve experienced some really bad downswings which took me back to nl 10 at the high point or do u say low point ? mmm hope u know what i mean. and was very close to quit and give up a few times. a few month ago i came to some of the mental stuff out there. funny enough it wasnt 4 poker but 4 ohter areas in life. but a lot of that made really sense. so i also gave it a shot when i saw mental things which were pokerrelated. since then things were starting to go better and now im back at nl 50.

so now it is time to take things serious and do them right

strength: i think my biggest strength is still my passion about the game and the fact that i didnt gave up. im also a very positive thinking person in generell . u know my glass is always half full and not half empty. ( only exeption when it contains wiskey-bull then its defenitely more emty then full :s_love: )
      i also started to organise my learning and set specific goals. i only work on one specific topic at once and do it daily now. and downswings dont really bother me anymore just excepted that it is part of the game and are happening sometimes.
      and also that i identified a lot of leaks of mine which i wasnt even thinking about before. like mental things.

leaks: mental : my biggest mental leak atm is that i often start autopiloting. it is mostley happenenig when nothing spectacular is happening or when things are going really good. my thoughts start to drift away and im thinking of all different kind of stuff which isnt even important. when i play longer sessions i noticed that it also happens so im taking more breaks now. but sometimes it happens after 20 minites or so. when things run bad it doesnt happen im thinking about hands more, about the thing i want to focus most in that session and so on its just easy to concentrate. has anyone some advice which helps staying concentrated and focused.

and there are also 2 factors which makes me not playing my a game . 1.) when i run hot i start to get out of line and 2nd when a certain reg annoys me. there are some regs which i just dont like. 4 some of them i cant even give a good reason 4.

and game related . i need a solid pf game all and 4 once. i attended the constructing pf ranges seminar and implimented it in my game. so ep is fixed. (btw im really happy with the new gameplan. was 4b or folding before ) but from the other position im quite unsure. not what to open but what and how to defend vs 3bets especially in lp blindbattle. imean im not totally clueless. but very unsure how wide ur defending range should be vs certain oponents.
      although i know the theoretical concepts at least i think. :-) i have difficulties to put them in practice . like if the opponent 3b a lot and fold to 4b a lot u simply bluff 4bet him more. or if he calls a lot of three bets u stop bluf 3betting and loose up ur ur value range. but what is "a lot" "more" and how far to lose up in a specific situation. hope u know what i mean.

postflop i really struggle in those small pots which sucks. im always guessing like u know after it goes x x on the flop . (especially in blind defence situation when i called pf ) does he has sd value, does he simply give up. the stupid thing is in 3b pot i really feel comfortable i understand board structers and opponent behaviours, ranges and how to exploit them very well. ( at this limit ) which is not so difficult because most are weak and scared or some are barrel happy :-) but still. i have a solid game plan and i stick to it .and in those smaller pots i often feel exploited myself and helpless. so i often end up calling or betting once maybe twice just not to see a sd again. also when i get raised .

my expectations 4 this bootcamp are

1.) meet some other people who are seriously interested in improving their game and stay in contact with them also when the boot camp is over. because atm i only know one other guy who plays poker which sucks. ( i was once in a lerning group which turned out to me more a trash talking group and bad beat competition then anything elese :-) )

2.)fixing my mental issues.

3.)
      i want to improve my game of course. especially getting a solid pf game. and a better understanding 4 postflop game (boardstructure , opponent , positions , action so far) get and/ or hold a solid winrate at nl 50 . and set the foundatitions to move up to nl 100 later this year.
  • 21 replies
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Hi,
      Good luck improving and taking the most you can out of this bootcamp.
      Its been pure awesome up to this day and I think it will only get better.
      BTW Im also at Nl50 atm
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      what i forgot is as i said when things are running bad im very concentrated but i start to level myself and overthink a bit.
      and my red line sucks !
      the first graph is from january on party NL25/nl50 2:1 ratio

[img][img]http://s11.postimage.org/fwhysgoi7/image.jpg[/img][/img]

the second one is from february on party mosly nl 25 and a bit nl 50

[img][img]http://s24.postimage.org/74vopdy0x/image.jpg[/img][/img]

at the beginning of the month i was running quite bad and it seemed like that a lot of which i have achieved mentally just faded away again . and i was falling back into old bad habbits.

in my first post i wrote that downswings dont bother me any more. what i meant was away from the tables. in former times my mind suffered from them the whole day or even more days. my mood was bad and i wasnt motivated to do anything. now i just close the tables forget until the next session or until i do sth poker related like handreviewing or so. but for sure the still influence my game a lot which sucks :s_mad:

[img][img]http://s13.postimage.org/klyxzam3n/stats_nl50.jpg[/img][/img]
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global

leaks: mental : my biggest mental leak atm is that i often start autopiloting. it is mostley happenenig when nothing spectacular is happening or when things are going really good. my thoughts start to drift away and im thinking of all different kind of stuff which isnt even important. when i play longer sessions i noticed that it also happens so im taking more breaks now. but sometimes it happens after 20 minites or so. when things run bad it doesnt happen im thinking about hands more, about the thing i want to focus most in that session and so on its just easy to concentrate. has anyone some advice which helps staying concentrated and focused.

and there are also 2 factors which makes me not playing my a game . 1.) when i run hot i gstart to get out of line and 2nd when a certain reg annoys me. there are some regs which i just dont like 4 some of them i cant even give a godd reason
      Hey retic!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching.
      Nice to hear that you already started to become conscious about the mental side of the game! :)

Are you sitting down with session goals of spots to look and improve on?
      Or are you basically just sitting down to play when you feel motivated?

Do you have any experience in the following areas?

• Warm-Up
      • Session goals for learning and improving
      • Post-Session Analysis
      • Mindfulness & Meditation

Looking forward to helping out!

Don't forget to check out Schnitzelfischs thread on productivity learning and structure! :)

Welcome to the Bootcamp! :)
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      hi eric !
      happy to hear from u. :-)

to answer ur questions.

thing is since i started to play poker i actually was always motivated to play and since i see progress im motivated like hell. actually its the first thing in my life which i started and stick to it 4 so long and so intensively. besides school but those 16 years werent voluntary :s_biggrin:

im not ur what falls under warm up. but since i noticed how big the mental side influences me and my game. i wrote down some things. which i find helpfull 4 me. and read them before i start to play.
      when im running bad im not starting to spew around and run huge bluffs or so. my form of tilt is that i start to make bad calls and stop believing them at all. but still not in huge pots like an all in. but a lot of small once . 10 bb here 15 there 20 there and so on. so thats also why 4 a long time i didnt recognice it at all.

i ve watched the serious from schnitzel fish and started to imply a lot of things from him. like havenig a leakbook and focusing on one leak at a time everytime u play.

while playing im marking hands to review. and look at the graphs and stats of the session i ve played but not more in detail because my leaks atm are so obvious that i dont need to search them. and the hands ive marked.

with mindfullness & meditation i ve no experience at all.
    • Jatzek3
      Jatzek3
      Bronze
      Hi retic i read your blog and i think im in the simmilar place as you are.

Also not som much of a winner, a and played a massive ammount of tables till now. If you were interested we could make some kind of study group of NL50-NL100 Players.

I dont have running microphone on my computer now, so till i fix the problem i will not be able to have sweet session. But i think that we could bouth benefit from this way of learning
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there,

I see that you've already implemented some stuff from my videos, which is great :) .

Regarding losing focus when "nothing is happening", how about trying to go through your notes/stat popups on opponents to find some information which you might have missed? This way, you can get an even bigger edge on your opponents and prevent yourself from getting bored.

You can also observe the hands which other people play to practice your hand reading skills and perhaps get some additional notes :) .

What do you think?

We can discuss some of your focus issues more in depth if you'd like to of course :) .

-Primož
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      hey schnitzelfisch!

very cool that i wasn´t too late.

the problem is not that there is no action because when i play speed tables i play 3-4. the problem is no matter what i do my thoughts drift away. had the same problem when i was studing 4 school. and autopliloting. and bored isnt also the correct word i guess because i enjoy it very much even at this point. so it is not that i have to grind because i need volume or so and would prefer doing sth else instead. i mean it sucks even now im responding to u and think abou how can i explain my problem best because im really serious about improving now and this it is really important im thinking of some other things. well i guess that describes it best :-) . but it doesnt happens always but quite often.

i just started to work through ur productivity guide. u said that propper breaks should be away from the scrren theat the brain can recover best. what about watching youtube musicvideos. i really enjoy this. or turn the screen off and just listen to music or isnt music good at all?

btw i told that ive implemented a lot of the stuff from ur series. but what i really like most is the idea with the leakbook. fortunately i bought a thick enough one. its like a bible. ohhh probably better to say the book of satan
    • Heinejen
      Heinejen
      Black
      hey retic

i am also from austria and i play NL200 but atm i stuck with my game and
      start loosing and go on tilt, hope the bootcamp can help me to reset my mind
      and start a new pokercareer

you are on skype?
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      hi!
      cool thing! my skype nick is retic77 :-)
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by retic
      hi eric !
      happy to hear from u. :-)

1. im motivated like hell :s_biggrin:

2. i wrote down some things. which i find helpfull 4 me. and read them before i start to play.

3. my form of tilt is that i start to make bad calls and stop believing them at all. but still not in huge pots like an all in. but a lot of small once . 10 bb here 15 there 20 there and so on. so thats also why 4 a long time i didnt recognice it at all.

4.i ve watched the serious from schnitzel fish and started to imply a lot of things from him. like havenig a leakbook and focusing on one leak at a time everytime u play.
      Hello again!

Our pleasure to be here! :)

1. Awesome. This is key!

2. Could you please give some examples on what these things are?

3. So basically you start to become a more passive calling player when you tilt? What usually leads up to the tilt? And what is the emotion and thoughts like when you start to make these calls?

4. Great! Use that as the structure you build you learning around. This is an awesome tool!

Cheers!
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      i always felt exploited and was always scared to be blufft in those spots. which actually made make those bad calls. and always found some hands which he could possible had he could do it with.

"people dont bluff raise or bluff a lot of rivers on these limits . so I actually EXPLOIT them buy folding and not paying them off ( which actually helped me a lot in those spots because i like the idea :s_biggrin: )

when the board runs out very bad.
      "what a bummer man" but this one in my own language if u say it a bit stupid it makes me smile and forget about the anger. and recognising tha although my hand was very strong on the flop it worthless now on the river.

4 one week i printed out every hand where i made a stupid call. and i figured out that im winning much more money by not loosing additional money when i ran bad. then when i run good.

so i wrote this although down "winning by folding" to rember me how important it is to play good when running bad.

i got to a point now when a fish sucks me out i can smile at it because i have understood and deeply burnt it into my brain that that is actually where the money comes from.
      so usually i start to tilt vs regs. from whom i know i dont win much anyways. when i think about it its probably an ego thing . like im not here to let u bluff me off my hand all the time. i show u not to mess around with me. and when i think deeper i actually would say it makes me feel bad to think to get exploited by players who are on an equal level(slightly better - slighty worse) like me. when someone is much better i dont care i just respect his skill. yeah and when i make the call and im of course beat it annoys me that first i knew it that it is a spot where he simply cant have a bluff and 2nd the fact that he actually exploited me and i was so dumb to pay him . thats when tilt start i think.

(edit :-) )
      i ve read ur article and althought watched ur vid.
      u mentioned a few points there.
      4 me i woud say its revenge tilt, protecting winnings, and kind of fear of failure but only when im playing a new limit.

i´ve although noticed sth. which made me think a lot. since ive replied to ur last post and told u about the things i wrote down i wasnt doing the mistakes again. it helped really to avoid them like in the beginning when i wrote them down and started to read tehm before a session. mistakes i was doing more and more again recently. so could it be that if u read the same things often that u stop actively noticing them. if so can u do sth about it. except writting u a massage evrey week or so :s_biggrin:
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      hey schnitzelfisch!

very cool that i wasn´t too late.

the problem is not that there is no action because when i play speed tables i play 3-4. the problem is no matter what i do my thoughts drift away. had the same problem when i was studing 4 school. and autopliloting. and bored isnt also the correct word i guess because i enjoy it very much even at this point. so it is not that i have to grind because i need volume or so and would prefer doing sth else instead. i mean it sucks even now im responding to u and think abou how can i explain my problem best because im really serious about improving now and this it is really important im thinking of some other things. well i guess that describes it best :-) . but it doesnt happens always but quite often.

i just started to work through ur productivity guide. u said that propper breaks should be away from the scrren theat the brain can recover best. what about watching youtube musicvideos. i really enjoy this. or turn the screen off and just listen to music or isnt music good at all?

btw i told that ive implemented a lot of the stuff from ur series. but what i really like most is the idea with the leakbook. fortunately i bought a thick enough one. its like a bible. ohhh probably better to say the book of satan
      Hey again!

Could you give me some examples of the things that go through your head when you start thinking about other things? Just write down what is in your mind and come back to me, so that we can see what are the things that want your attention :) .

Listening to music is good, and it's better if it's away from a screen (for example laying on your bed and listening to music can be a great break, just don't fall asleep :D !).

I'm glad that the advice helped you, and hopefully I can help you out some more :) .

-Primož
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      all kind of dfferent stuff. like things i saw or read in the news paper or on facebook which i liked or didnt not like. if something really weird happened. funny posts. jokes. or when im planing to do sth. like making plans 4 the weekend. or at the moment. i could check out my blog if someone answered. mmmm hey that makes u actually part of my problem :D , thats why i dont understand it. because poker is really important to me now and i really enjoy playing , improving and getting better. so my thought alsways drifts away to things which i not really care at all, or not really important.
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      soooooooo epic. table ninja had a missfunction. space is x/F . pf i wanted to fold of course and table ninja called. so i thought i might touched the "C" which is call. and on the shove the same. was really pissed until sd . :f_biggrin:
      PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 98.52 BB
      SB: 108.36 BB
      BB: 114.18 BB
      UTG: 65.44 BB
      Hero (MP): 100 BB
      CO: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9:spade: K:diamond:

UTG raises to 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to 11 BB, UTG raises to 65.44 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 62.94 BB, fold

Flop: (142.38 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond: 2:club: 8:diamond:

Turn: (142.38 BB, 2 players) 7:heart:

River: (142.38 BB, 2 players) 9:club:

UTG shows A:club: K:heart: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 76%, Flop 84%, Turn 93%)
      Hero shows 9:spade: K:diamond: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 24%, Flop 16%, Turn 7%)
      Hero wins 137.38 BB
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey again,

ok that's normal, mind likes to produce random thoughts :D . You can start solving your problem by simply writing more things down. Whenever you have something in your head, write it down. That way, you'll remember to check your blog and everything you wanted to do after the session ;) .

You can for example include a brainstorming/clearing your head session before the poker session. So before you start playing, you can take 5 minutes of your time and write down everything that you're thinking about to get it out of your head and make space for poker.

If you think of something else during the session, just add that to the list you've made before the session.

It should be way easier for you to stay focused in the future :) .

Let me know how it goes!

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1. so usually i start to tilt vs regs. from whom i know i dont win much anyways. when i think about it its probably an ego thing . like im not here to let u bluff me off my hand all the time. i show u not to mess around with me. and when i think deeper i actually would say it makes me feel bad to think to get exploited by players who are on an equal level(slightly better - slighty worse) like me.

2.yeah and when i make the call and im of course beat it annoys me that first i knew it that it is a spot where he simply cant have a bluff and 2nd the fact that he actually exploited me and i was so dumb to pay him . thats when tilt start i think.

3.mistakes i was doing more and more again recently. so could it be that if u read the same things often that u stop actively noticing them. if so can u do sth about it. except writting u a massage evrey week or so :s_biggrin:
      1. Can you see how they are exploiting you by putting pressure on you and you predictively reacting the way that they assume you will react. Its not them 3betting you over and over for example, it's your tendencies to react to that aggression2. :)

2. Why do you think you so often go against your gut in this situation?

3. It is an ongoing process. Don't look at it at something that you "have" to but something you have the opportunity to do. A tool that helps you learn, improve and also let some of the pressure go.
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      1-2.) well the thing is that in most of this spots they are not putting pressure on me and not even thinking how i will react i guess. they are value betting their hand . mostly it is my lack of abbility to profile the opponent right in the sence of what he is capable of. which is actually at nl 50 mostly in my head i guess. and i think if i play play c/f always when the boards go ugly the im easy to exploit in that spot and that they can peal very light on wet boards because they have a lot of bluff outs then.

3.) makes a lot of sense thx
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1-2.) well the thing is that in most of this spots they are not putting pressure on me and not even thinking how i will react i guess. they are value betting their hand . mostly it is my lack of abbility to profile the opponent right in the sence of what he is capable of. which is actually at nl 50 mostly in my head i guess. and i think if i play play c/f always when the boards go ugly the im easy to exploit in that spot and that they can peal very light on wet boards because they have a lot of bluff outs then.
      Break down what you are supposed to look at in these situations. When you sit down look at the most likely 3 bettors vs you and see how you will exploit them right away. Prepare, anticipate and strategise before they star 3 betting you. Write out exactly in what order you are supposed to look at stats, stacksize, where he folds, how he plays vs 4b/5b etc etc. Save hands and make it you primary focus to put you attention on these spots during session You can also begin talking those spots out loud. This will help you slow things down and let you reach a solid thought process.

:)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey,

did you try brainstorming/writing things down? How did it go? Did it work? Were there any problems?

-Primož