VIP status display

• RedStarUltras
      RedStarUltras
      Bronze
      Hey guys,just wondering does it have influence on players at the table if i or if i dont display my vip status at the picture while at the table(on PokerStars),especialy when it is high(silver star+).

I think that it does,because then they will have more respect to me and will be more carefull when playing against me.I think that this can be usefull for aggresive players.

What are your thoughts about this?
  • 14 replies
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      I'm a goldstar at 5NL. At my level, I think it's better to hide my status since weak players tend to avoid sitting at my table when I start a new one. Against fellow regs, status doesn't have much of an effect at all.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I think it's very much dependent on what your level is and what stake you're playing at.

If you're showing off your BronzeStar halfway through the month I'm going to assume you're a fish at any level.
      If you're showing a ChromeStar or maybe even SilverStar at NL25, then I'm going to assume you're at least a little fishy as I'd expect GoldStar+ grinders at NL25.
      If you're showing of a SilverStar at NL5 then I'll assume you're a Reg and study you a little to see if that's a good Reg or bad Reg.

That's what I think anyway :f_biggrin:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by ThatGuyMatt
      I think it's very much dependent on what your level is and what stake you're playing at.

If you're showing off your BronzeStar halfway through the month I'm going to assume you're a fish at any level.
      If you're showing a ChromeStar or maybe even SilverStar at NL25, then I'm going to assume you're at least a little fishy as I'd expect GoldStar+ grinders at NL25.
      If you're showing of a SilverStar at NL5 then I'll assume you're a Reg and study you a little to see if that's a good Reg or bad Reg.

That's what I think anyway :f_biggrin:
      I agree 100%

I have also moved this thread to the PokerStars board ;)
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      I saw a gold star at the NL2 tables(a couple days) .. I assumed he tilted sooo much and moved down limits.. but I was still scared of him and left the table.
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mat55
      I saw a gold star at the NL2 tables(a couple days) .. I assumed he tilted sooo much and moved down limits.. but I was still scared of him and left the table.
      I have seen a supernova elite once on either 2 nl speed holdem ,but this was a few months after zoom was released.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      I seen plenty of Gold status grinders playing NL2 Zoom in January. I played at different times of the day and they were always there which probably explains why they were Gold in the first place :)
    • Zanardi1
      Zanardi1
      Bronze
      If I am showing SilverStar ar NL10/NL16 what would you assume of me? :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by Zanardi1
      Romanian fish obv

:coolface:
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Personally I don't show my vip level or use any image. Just trying to be as forgettable as possible. I think using those will mainly help players multitabling lot so they remember table dynamics etc. better. Playing sng.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      not forgetting that poker is a game where information is in high demand; any info that you get can be valuable. and someone with a high vip status for the stake he is playing can generally be classified as a reg without any further details (can be a bad reg or a good reg - that's different and probably a bad reg can be inferred as if he was good enough he probably would be playing higher limits)

give as little info as you can, including vip status, badges etc... IMO at least
    • MERIT900
      MERIT900
      Bronze
      its all information that can be used against you, show nothing is the best way make them pay you to get their information
    • Zanardi1
      Zanardi1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Originally posted by Zanardi1
      Romanian fish obv

:coolface:
      Great. That's the image I want to have :D
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Apparently, showing pictures of your kids or your dog marks you as a fish too.

As soon as I heard that, I found a cute dog photo and changed my avatar.

I've since changed it to something unrecognisable though (a galaxy).

Made no difference, really

Why not do an experiment?
      Play 10K hands with it showing, and 10K w/o it.

I'm guessing that all of the other sources of variance will far outweigh any effect showing your status would have.

--VS
    • RedStarUltras
      RedStarUltras
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Apparently, showing pictures of your kids or your dog marks you as a fish too.

As soon as I heard that, I found a cute dog photo and changed my avatar.

I've since changed it to something unrecognisable though (a galaxy).

Made no difference, really

Why not do an experiment?
      Play 10K hands with it showing, and 10K w/o it.

I'm guessing that all of the other sources of variance will far outweigh any effect showing your status would have.

--VS
      I like this one :f_p: