I need a study method

• Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      This is probably the wrong website to ask (due to all the training tools!), but I want to take poker seriously but I have no method of studying..

Do I watch a couple video's a day? Read some strategys in the strategy sections?

What is the most proper and effective way to get started, and are there any good member-made guides (for example the how to beat micro's in another forum)?

What are people's studying methods, and a real one please, none of "I do 4 video's a day, review some notes" when you actually don't.

Thanks.
  • 11 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey,

you can take a look at my Learning to learn video series ;) .

-SF
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      I suggest to read this.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      - Strategy articles
      - Poker books
      - Training videos
      - Join skype study group
      - Reviewing hands from your database
      - Read strategy forums
      - Post hands for analysis on forums
      - Put in volume
      - Hire a coach

make your own study plan from these
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      I think you should just work your way through the articles here on the site in the order you see them for whatever style you want to play BSS or SSS/MSS

you can always then search for videos here as well.

And if you have a tracking software mark hands during your session at the tables and review them afterwards, even post them here in the hand evaluation forum to discuss with other members

well thats my plan once i finish uni in june
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, I will take everyones input into consideration, I haven't watched a video here believe it or not, so maybe it might be fun, who knows? :)

Quick question, I have noticed in NL2, the BSS is $2 buy in.. what exactly is the SSS buy in? 80 cents?
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      you should also try and attend some live coaching here as it has help me in the past, if nothing else it makes you think different in some spots in your own session
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Is live coaching free? I am not currently looking for a coach but would be interested in one of those free live sessions :D

Also, would evaluating hands help a lot? Like if I don't post hands but look at other hands posted which is the same limits and # of players as mine (for example NL2 FR).
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Mat55
      Thanks guys, I will take everyones input into consideration, I haven't watched a video here believe it or not, so maybe it might be fun, who knows? :)

Quick question, I have noticed in NL2, the BSS is $2 buy in.. what exactly is the SSS buy in? 80 cents?
      I'm not sure that SSS is available any more in most rooms.
      (Someone will reply pointing out that I'm wrong)

If you go to the strategy section and read the first few articles of MSS and SSS you will have all of the answers.

--VS
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey,

you can take a look at my Learning to learn video series ;) .

-SF
      +1 You also want to remember what works for other players may not work for you. Learning anything is pretty much an individual thing. No matter how you decide to study, you have to do it in this manner. 1st you crawl, then you walk, then you run . You know that poker is a game of mistakes and long term.

You need to have a solid foundation including play and bankroll management. I broke my game down into the following. Preflop, defending/attacking. . .Post flop, defending and attacking.
      You want to learn the basics of how to attack and defend from each position.

Once you have a solid understanding of the basics that should get you to an ABC TAG. From there you expand play using a solid thought process always trying to play +EV
      Good Luck
      Gp
    • zachrina
      zachrina
      Bronze
      Hi Mat55,

ENTERG has it spot on for me. Start the NL beginners course and work through it.
      I have been playing for a few years in total but never really had the basics down. I started the course from the very beginning and am almost done which has taken me around 10 weeks so far. you could probably do it quicker if you like.
      Although the course is for cash game strategy it will improve your overall game. It has mine. And it is free so what are you waiting for??

Good luck mate,

Zach
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Loads of suggestions here for you Mat55, what do you think?

Thank you everyone :)