Preflop strategy

• 6 replies
    • Beuaaaaaaaah
      Beuaaaaaaaah
      Black
      I think Bugs articles at Donkr.com are really good if you want some maths.
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      hi man!

nice thread! im also looking to built a solid pf game all and 4 once. when i dont get it wrong seminar "constructing PF ranges " continues with the other positions. right?

if so i think i just wait 4 them. i really liked the first one very much and it makes a lot of sense and my life way easier so far.
    • Padiz0
      Padiz0
      Bronze
      Originally posted by retic
      hi man!

nice thread! im also looking to built a solid pf game all and 4 once. when i dont get it wrong seminar "constructing PF ranges " continues with the other positions. right?

if so i think i just wait 4 them. i really liked the first one very much and it makes a lot of sense and my life way easier so far.

Yea. That was great. Now I need solid ranges for others positions and how to react properly against specific 3b/4b ranges we meet.
    • bartjuh
      bartjuh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Beuaaaaaaaah
      I think Bugs articles at Donkr.com are really good if you want some maths.
      Yes those are really good. It is based on the preflop series Matthew Janda did for stox/cardrunners. Only problem is that it is a bit outdated I think. So you might want to update the equations with current day sizings. And I believe it assumes a 4b or fold strategy OOP. Matthew Janda has produced some updated videos.

But it is very useful in showing how to build GTO ranges in the 3/4/5 bet game. You can use those vs tough players and spot easier what weaker players do wrong and exploit that.
    • retic
      retic
      Bronze
      hi guys i found this in a blog ! from a coach ! cant rember the name but i will add it if i find the post again :-)

As a default, you don't know your opponent's 3betting range or 5betting range - the only thing you know is your opening range.

There is a gto approach to the 3bet4bet5bet game that is very easy to implement and should make you feel much more comfortable. You should use this as a default, and deviate if people are tighter or looser.

Not going to give you all the math and calculations here, but basically when opening oop you need to defend 33% of your opening range vs 3bets, with a 60-40 ratio between value (hands you're 4betcalling) and bluffs (hands you're 4betfolding). This should be your default to be unexploitable (Assuming you only 4bet or fold oop which is a good strategy if you feel uncomfortable calling 3bets oop).

So, going to give you a simple example.
      Say you open Cutoff with 24% of hands.
      You need to defend 33% of 24% so 8%.
      This is 60-40 ratio between value and bluffs, so 4.8% value, 3.2% bluffs.
      TT+,AQ+ is 4.7% of hands for value.
      ATo,AJo,KQo,KQs,AJs is 3.3% for bluffs (chosing bcz of blockers).

So in a similar way you can develop default strategies for each position and feel comfortable that these are unexploitable strategies, and just default to using them when you're not sure what to do and feel good about it.
    • yegon
      yegon
      Silver
      i got a bit carried away with 3betting in some positions and fold too much to 4bets now so i am working out some basic ranges that I will of course deviate from given a read

what do you think about this SB vs BTN range?

green is a calling range (I will add some AA combos there)
      red is the 3bet/5bet range
      blue is the 3bet/fold range

this will mean I am folding around 55% to 4bets which seems reasonable

my 3bet % would be around 9% which seems a bit low but there are players I will widen my 3b bluffing range against not worrying about being exploitable so it should be higher overall

would you change/add anything?

maybe adding some low pairs to 3b/5b range vs people who open 2,5x+? or would you only do that as an exploitive strategy vs people who 4bet too much?