[VIDEO] Constructing Cold Calling Ranges - MBML

• 16 replies
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Pretty interesting vid!

I have a question about coldcalling PP's. What is your general gameplan with PP's (the lowest you'd call) when:

UTG opens:
      Hero in MP: Insert XX+
      Hero in CO: Insert XX+
      Hero in BTN: Insert XX+

MP opens:

CO opens:

Later we can talk about playing them OOP maybe :) .
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Pretty interesting vid!

I have a question about coldcalling PP's. What is your general gameplan with PP's (the lowest you'd call) when:

UTG opens:
      Hero in MP: Insert XX+

MP opens:

CO opens:

Later we can talk about playing them OOP maybe :) .
      Haven't watched the video yet but to answer your questions: It depends a lot on who is behind. And that for all my cold calling range. If the table is passive then you can cold call all you PP from all positions.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Hmm okay but what if everyone is unknown? :)
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Do you feel like there is a good chance you will get sqzed if you call MP vs UTG in the games you play?
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      Do you feel like there is a good chance you will get sqzed if you call MP vs UTG in the games you play?
      I play NL100 zoom on stars for 1 month now and I would say the games or not super aggro but not passive either. So yeah tough to answer :P
    • IronPumper
      IronPumper
      Coach
      Coach
      I have only looked over the vid in 5 seconds - only to be sure:
      It is right that this vid is more about ging out some idea to think about instead of suggesting concrete coldcallranges in situation X as a default (with info then you can of course deviate from the default/sstartingpoint)?
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      @Farmarchist

depends how often population sqz at your stakes and your postflop skillz, just check in filters whats your winrate vs opens from utg,mp etc and how you do while cold calling pp against those.

make a table in excel write down ev winrates and compare, make assumptions and try to figure out why one hand is +ev here and -ev there. I have around 220k hands, just been doing this - a lot to learn even if samples arent that huge you can see some patterns
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Hi thanks guys,

I just want to get an idea of it cause I'm really not sure.

I play NL100zoom for 1 month so I have only a small sample tolari. I hoped someone could give me a global idea where I could deviate from. I mean, 22+ or 77+ is a big difference.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Originally posted by IronPumper
      It is right that this vid is more about ging out some idea to think about instead of suggesting concrete coldcallranges in situation X as a default (with info then you can of course deviate from the default/sstartingpoint)?
      Yeah I was trying to promote independent learning :)

I think you guys should work out optimal ranges on your own, then discuss it with others. It really opened my eyes quite a lot, a lot more when I actually did it on my own rather than having someone spoon-feed me the information.

You will also experience the benefit of feeling smart and a lot more confident about your own game.

"Ahh, that was how the top pros came up with these information 3 years ago"
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Yeah well I find it hard to work this out on my own cause I'm not sure about things, for example coldcalling PP's.

I can't estimate it has to be 22+ or 77+ for example in a certain spot. And there is actually a big difference between 22+ and 77+
    • IronPumper
      IronPumper
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by mbml
      Yeah I was trying to promote independent learning :)

yeah, sure - thats all right

I think you guys should work out optimal ranges on your own, then discuss it with others. It really opened my eyes quite a lot, a lot more when I actually did it on my own rather than having someone spoon-feed me the information.

have done it already long ago - but a check or other concrete insights would have been nice - but yeah, its ok...

You will also experience the benefit of feeling smart and a lot more confident about your own game.

"Ahh, that was how the top pros came up with these information 3 years ago"
      for sure some good and true points in your post here^^
      Exploring stuff on your own makes fun, provides pleasure and gives you more trust in your own ability, as far as I can tell it...
    • IronPumper
      IronPumper
      Coach
      Coach
      Yeah well I find it hard to work this out on my own cause I'm not sure about things, for example coldcalling PP's.

I can't estimate it has to be 22+ or 77+ for example in a certain spot. And there is actually a big difference between 22+ and 77+
      of course there is:

Bottomline is that if a big enough fish is behibnd you who will very likely enter the pot by overvalling , imo you can get away with setminging all PPs, unless mb at FR when th opener comes from the very first 1-3 positions cause then so many ppl are behind youand chances are higher that you will get sqzed off your hand pre...

Other than this, when theres no significant fish behind, imo you wanna coldcall regards to PPs very tight vs. solid REGs who open from UTG and youre in MP, like 99/TT+
      or as Co you can then call lik 77/88 <-> OTB 66+ is often all rigth <->the smaller PPs you can potentially also coldcall (depending on the blinds, on the posi and range of openraiser and the tendencies of the raiser) or 3bet(potenitlally 5bjam) them - often nice in BTNvsCo....

the thing with those small/small-middle PPs is that if you cannot setmine +ev, then you will have very often postflop only a low-EQ-bluffcatcher and hence imo in today`s games a tight approach is a solid one, when it comes to coldcalling with them....
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Thanks IronPumper! That's what I wanted to hear :) Appreciate it
    • IronPumper
      IronPumper
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks IronPumper! That's what I wanted to hear :) Appreciate it
      np^^
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I saw you on the observe hands today mbml :D

Hand vs pobolero where you bbpotb kj on jxxqx, hh/thoughts?

another you 3b/5b TT vs UTG, hh/thoughts?
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze

of course there is:

Bottomline is that if a big enough fish is behibnd you who will very likely enter the pot by overvalling , imo you can get away with setminging all PPs, unless mb at FR when th opener comes from the very first 1-3 positions cause then so many ppl are behind youand chances are higher that you will get sqzed off your hand pre...

Other than this, when theres no significant fish behind, imo you wanna coldcall regards to PPs very tight vs. solid REGs who open from UTG and youre in MP, like 99/TT+
      or as Co you can then call lik 77/88 <-> OTB 66+ is often all rigth <->the smaller PPs you can potentially also coldcall (depending on the blinds, on the posi and range of openraiser and the tendencies of the raiser) or 3bet(potenitlally 5bjam) them - often nice in BTNvsCo....

the thing with those small/small-middle PPs is that if you cannot setmine +ev, then you will have very often postflop only a low-EQ-bluffcatcher and hence imo in today`s games a tight approach is a solid one, when it comes to coldcalling with them....
      possibly discovered a big leak in my game :) thanks IP