[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH KK in 3bet pot

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $10.27 (102.7 bb)
      SB: $8.83 (88.3 bb)
      BB: $5 (50 bb)
      UTG: $10.10 (101 bb)
      MP: $11.48 (114.8 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K K
      UTG raises to $0.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.55

Flop: ($1.65) Q 4 A (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.65) 4 (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.80, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.65 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: Q 4 A 4
      Hero mucked K K and lost (-$0.75 net)
      UTG mucked and won $1.58 ($0.83 net)

villain is a complete unknown here.

villain's range for flatting OOP is pretty face up and looks like TT/JJ/AQ, and may or may not include QQ and or AK.... i think this is a safe assumption to make.

on this sort of board texture i don't really know how to continue. on the 1 hand i could bet to make him fold TT/JJ AND prevent him from bluffing me off of my hand on the turn. i think this is important because i cannot really stand up to a bet.

however i just ran equilab and it says i have 55% equity vs TT/JJ and AQ which means i can supposedly make a thin value bet here... only thing is if i include QQ into the range then i am a very slight underdog. if i include QQ then i should probably add in a few combos of AK at least, which now means if i bet i'm turning my hand into a bluff... even though no better hands will fold. and if i assume he's pretty bad and include hands like KQ and KJs, 88-JJ etc, then my equity soon becomes pretty good.

my problem with these hands isn't necessarily in deciding whether to bet the flop or not because i think there are arguments for both especially with the equity. i think my main issue is in formulating a plan. i mean if i cbet the flop i'm obviously done if called, but if i check back can i ever call a stab on the turn like in this hand? i decided to play it safe here because i know one of my leaks is being a bit of a station on the turn/river. i don't want to overestimate villain's range too much either because it will give me a flawed excuse to station lol
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Why is it safe to assume that he calls only with those hands?

First, he min raised UTG and then we 3-bet to 7.5 BB.

Based on the "non standard" bet sizes I can see him having anything from suited aces to pocket pairs.

He may never actually have the stronger part of his range.

This board hits our perceived range and we have no idea about his range. If we check we always give up. So I rather bet and take the pot down and may get called once by KQ, TT, JJ that check it down.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i see.. i wasn't really thinking about my perceived range.

about the bet sizings, if villain opened to 3x and we 3bet to 9bb and he calls how would that change the situation and plan for the hand on this board?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      i see.. i wasn't really thinking about my perceived range.

about the bet sizings, if villain opened to 3x and we 3bet to 9bb and he calls how would that change the situation and plan for the hand on this board?
      His range can include more of the premium hands and less of the weaker hands (in my opinion).

The plan would still be to bet the flop though because I expect villain to call a lot preflop and can still fold enough to make a 1/2 pot cbet worth while.