William Hill - withholding winnings

• garthsophie
      garthsophie
      Basic
      I won a tourny the other day - £408 dollars approx - £10 dollar freezeout. I went to withdraw the cash through my William Hill account but they have blocked it. Reason - A promotion they run on 1st March offered a £10 bonus if £10 was deposited. But, because all of this bonus money they claim was not used on solely on poker (some was spent on their poker side games apparently (roulette - 10p spins and only a few pounds) they claim I broke the conditions of the offer - although you need to follow several page links to find this term. The money still went on poker, but because I won about £20 on their side games (lost fortunes in the past), they are keeping the pot.
      I am furious about this. Players who put into the pot won't be pleased to find out that the first prize appears to have gone in William Hills back pocket.
      I have told them that since the £10 bonus was given to me, following my £10 deposit, I have staked about £50 on poker, so I have staked over and above this bonus.
      It appears little short of a crooked operation.
      Following the blocked withdrawal, the winnings have disappeared from my account. I have been told management will contact me in due course.
      Shocking!!
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I have been told management will contact me in due course.
      Hi, garthsophie -- and welcome to PokerStrategy.com

I'm sorry to hear about this, but I am optimistic.
      When you are contacted be sure to remain calm and businesslike.
      Be prepared with all the facts of the case, and be prepared to discuss them rationally.

It is likely that the representative with whom you interact will be an employee, but remember that this person is your link to a decision, and you want to keep them on your side.

Since you did not sign up to William Hill through PokerStrategy.com, I'm not sure that our customer support team will be able to help at all, but it never hurts to try.

Best of luck,.
      --VS
    • garthsophie
      garthsophie
      Basic
      Appreciate the advice, but to me this seems little more than theft.
      It is not their money, at it has been staked by those who entered the tournament.
      I have been on to them again without any progress.
      William Hill know they can basically do what they want. Without expensive litigation; which is unaffordable on my part, they are above the law.
      I hope everyone reading this post realises that Hills can swallow your account balance on a whim, without redress.
      If you want to play on the iPoker network try registering with a different bookmaker who uses the site.
      I have been a registered Hills poker player for 4 years; it's not as if it was a sign up bonus! It's awful treatment.
      Still shocking!!!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      When you read your post, recognize the emotional response it represents.

Like poker, customer relations is a game.
      You cannot win either game if you are tilted.

I had a similar experience with a different site.
      Although my situation was not resolved in my favour, they did alter the terms and conditions from then on.

Since then I have read every line of the T&C of every poker room I play on.

All of them have clauses that say that they can take money on deposit under certain circumstances. By playing on their site, you agree to those T&C.

I am still optimistic that a positive resolution can be found, but to achieve one, it is necessary to be calm and businesslike.

All the best,
      --VS
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      staying calm and polite (or at least appearing to) in all your dealings with them is a big plus EV move for you here. i wish you luck, hopefully they will see reason and forgive you for what was obviously a very honest mistake.
    • garthsophie
      garthsophie
      Basic
      Again, sound advise.
      I have made further contact by phone and e-mailed. I have also pointed out their own terms and conditions to them, which clearly indicate the Poker winnings should be with-drawable and only the side game winnings, which debatably could have been staked using the bonus (doubtful), should remain non withdawable at this stage. Hopefully they'll see sense, but this serves as a warning to everyone, these side games, which attract your small change, can cause major problems.