Max - NL100/200

• Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!
      I am Max, nearly 30 yo and I am a recreational player playing NL 100/200 after work. Recreational doesn’t mean I am not ambitious though just that I don't have 10h a day to spend on poker :)
      I am starting playing NL100 speed on ipoker and NL200 regular tables (shot that is still going).

Latest Cliffs on my poker carrer:
      -took NL200 shots on ipoker back in Spet/Oct 2011 that didnt go well
      - went for zoom nl100 around April 2012 to be able to put volume as it is difficult to put volume working full time. However I believe I wasn’t prepared so much to play fast fold games and ended up losing money and autopiloting.
      - August 2012 started working with Dustin “oblioo” that I introduced to PS and back on ipoker NL100
      - Feb 2013 Taking NL200 shots.

Mental Coaches:
      I have been reading a bit through the bootcamp threads and saw that mental coaches are very active. Tbh I have never been a big fan of all the motivationnal videos and mental stuff that I find to be a lot of blablabla... No offence guys :) and in fact that is probably because I am a bit ignorant of what you can bring to a player. So strangely enough I am looking forward to your questions because I am a bit curious and feel that you must have some value to add.
      In all fairness I think I am fairly strong mindset/motivation wise. I think that is due to the fact that I am a rec player, don’t have the stress to win money and can’t play so much so I am looking forward to all my sessions. That’s why I think I have never looked to much into the mental part of my game. But I want to take the opportunitty to have 2 coaches here to dig through this :)
      One leak of mine that I can think of is that I usually check my sessions results. Not 10 times per session but couple of times. I don’t think it affects my play though.

Strat:
      I am also here to talk strat obv and I am part of some skype channels where I discuss hands with players (some of which are part of that bootcamp btw). I am always interested in improving my game and in fact that is my main motivation I would say. I am not cashing out the money I make so to me this is more a game where I have to climb the levels. So I am looking forward to taking part into some of the discussions going on.

One thing that upsets me is my redline and even though it is slightly better than it was it is still very bad. Can’t believe my coach has a positive red line hahaha
      I guess that’s it for an intro, I’ll post below some of my recent graphs and stats.

NL100 reg tables

NL200 shot

Stats NL100/NL200 combined -If you want more stats just shout :)

That's it for now :]
  • 23 replies
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Solid post Max! Following =)
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Mental Coaches:
      I have been reading a bit through the bootcamp threads and saw that mental coaches are very active. Tbh I have never been a big fan of all the motivationnal videos and mental stuff that I find to be a lot of blablabla... No offence guys :) and in fact that is probably because I am a bit ignorant of what you can bring to a player. So strangely enough I am looking forward to your questions because I am a bit curious and feel that you must have some value to add.
      In all fairness I think I am fairly strong mindset/motivation wise. I think that is due to the fact that I am a rec player, don’t have the stress to win money and can’t play so much so I am looking forward to all my sessions. That’s why I think I have never looked to much into the mental part of my game. But I want to take the opportunitty to have 2 coaches here to dig through this :)
      One leak of mine that I can think of is that 1.I usually check my sessions results. Not 10 times per session but couple of times. I don’t think it affects my play though.
      Hey!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching. One of the blablabla guys. :D
      We'll be happy to help with whatever you struggle with.

Here are some easy tips on what to look for when it comes to the mental side. Whenever and emotion or negative thought pattern influences your decision making you are no longer playing your best game. Depending on the player and the session it varies a ton. So think about how much money you are losing every month from making plays you know are incorrect when you analyze them after the session. his tends to be a significant amount for all or most players.

What do you feel is impacting your game negatively the most when you play? And what would you like to remove from your game first?

1. This is only an issue if the result itself has an impact on your emotional state negatively which in the end makes you make worse decisions.

Welcome to the Bootcamp! :)

- Erik
    • BrokesoBroke
      BrokesoBroke
      Black
      I believe most of the people in the camp are worried about their redline and I think it's really a mistake to worry about this!

Someone tell me I'm wrong!
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BrokesoBroke
      I believe most of the people in the camp are worried about their redline and I think it's really a mistake to worry about this!

Someone tell me I'm wrong!
      Well I see what you are saying and generally speaking I agree with you. But losing 8.5bb/100 in red line is too much. It shows that I am missing spots for sure. I don't want to have a positive red line but I think having a red line at -3 or 4bb/100 would be good.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      @ Erik:
      Welcome to my blog :)

In my next sessions I will try to identify when I feel I don't play my A game and what affected it.
      Couple of things that I thought of about tilt:
      -I don't care when AA<KK pre flop, generally speaking below EV has no effect on me (positive side on not relying on poker money to live)
      - What can affect me is when I get into the top of the ranges of a fish several times in a row. I clearly start doubting if my play is good when that happens and I think don't play my A game.

That's pretty much it as far as tilt for myself that I can think of.

One thing I wanted to ask you. How do I define how long my sessions should be? I know for sure that I am less focused at some point in my sessions. Sometimes I take a 2 min break (can't do much longer to keep my tables) but it doesn't change much. Since I have limited amount of time to play (aka evenings) I can't have multiple sessions throughout the day so I would be interested to hear your thoughts on how I can improve my concentration level after let's say 2 hours of play.

Thanks!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Max!

@all, I was thinking about doing a series called the 2013 thin red line, or basically an up to date and relevant series compared to the old grindcore series.

I was thinking about speaking about when to be concerned with the red line,when not to worry about it etc etc etc.

Everybody seems to struggle about it, perhaps I can do it in one of the seminars? :)

Thanks
      Patrick
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Btw, 3bet from MP seems pretty high? :)
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey Max!

@all, I was thinking about doing a series called the 2013 thin red line, or basically an up to date and relevant series compared to the old grindcore series.

I was thinking about speaking about when to be concerned with the red line,when not to worry about it etc etc etc.

Everybody seems to struggle about it, perhaps I can do it in one of the seminars? :)

Thanks
      Patrick
      Sounds like a great idea!
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Btw, 3bet from MP seems pretty high? :)
      A bit high allright but I think this is me exploiting ppl that open too wide and fold to much to 3B. i.e that wouldn't be my default.

Any other stats in your opinion that would be worth looked into? Fold to Cbet a bit high?
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      I am interested in discussing 2 hands that happened vs the same reg and how fast to adapt. Those 2 hands are very similar, he x/r flop and barrels. Happened on diff tables at 2h interval.

Villain plays 23/17 overall over 1.8k hands. He x/r flop 27%!
      in bb vs BU calls 24% and 3B 6%
      Agg Freq: 38, 39, 29
      WTSD:26
      Villain also plays NL400 and seems like a decent reg (even though I can't understand how he can be x/raising so many flops but we).

IPoker, $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $192.57 (96.3 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $200 (100 bb)
      SB: $233.35 (116.7 bb)
      BB: $211.50 (105.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K A
      CO folds, Hero raises to $4, SB folds, BB calls $2

Flop: ($9) 6 T A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6, BB raises to $18, Hero calls $12

Turn: ($45) 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $30, Hero calls $30

River: ($105) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $96, Hero calls $96

Results:
      $297 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 6 T A 5 2
      Hero mucked K A and won $295 ($147 net)
      BB showed K J and lost (-$148 net)

So I know he x/r a lot so calling down looks std to me. He has all his QJ, KJ OTR that he bluffs (eventhough he shouldn't bet all of them on a club river I suspect his does).

IPoker, $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $200 (100 bb)
      MP: $102.35 (51.2 bb)
      CO: $219.27 (109.6 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $300.75 (150.4 bb)
      SB: $281.12 (140.6 bb)
      BB: $226.25 (113.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A A
      3 folds, Hero raises to $4, SB calls $3, BB calls $2

Flop: ($12) 6 9 A (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $8, SB folds, BB raises to $27, Hero calls $19

Turn: ($66) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $44, Hero calls $44

River: ($154) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $77, Hero calls $77

Results:
      $308 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 6 9 A 2 3
      Hero mucked A A and lost (-$152 net)
      BB showed 7 9 and won $305 ($153 net)

I also think this is a std call OTR as he has 78s and prob 78o in his range, but also he should have worse value hands. For several reasons: bc to be able to x/r that much he must have a wide value range but also bc he saw me calling w TPTK so he should value bet all his sets, 2 pairs etc...

Note that he prob has a sizing tell OTR (pot bet as bluff, 1/2 pot bet value)

My question now for you guys is how should I expect him to adjust (I think we can assume he will) and hence how should I adjust my calling range. For example in the 2nd hand can I expect him to bet his 78 since I called in hand 1 with TPTK? Should I think he will be more honnest vs me when he misses river? Or still an aggro monkey and I should keep calling him down lightish?
      For instance if hand 1 happens again now should I call him OTR? Or should I start 3B my value hands OTF since he might think I will be FOS (since he saw me calling down twice)?

Thanks for your opinions.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by Dublimax

- What can affect me is when I get into the top of the ranges of a fish several times in a row. I clearly start doubting if my play is good when that happens and I think don't play my A game.

One thing I wanted to ask you. How do I define how long my sessions should be? I take a 2 min break (can't do much longer to keep my tables)
      Hey!

Do you start doubting your skill even though when it is a very obvious cooler?

I recommend that you set regular alarms (like a Mindfulness online Bell) every 15 minutes just a s a "reminder" to check in and ask yourself "Am I still focused? How am i doing emotionally? and so on.

I recommend that you when you take breaks do some quick exercises such as 10 mindful push-ups breathing in 3-5 seconds on the way down and breath out 3-5 seconds on the way up. Make sure you have a glass of water and a quick bit of an apple or such. Then go over your session goals if you have any so everything is fresh in your mind.

Hope that helps a bit and don' forget to check out my new video thats being released today.

:)
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ErikStenqvist
      Hey!

Do you start doubting your skill even though when it is a very obvious cooler?
      Not really doubting my skills per say but my play in the specific spot.
      I'll try to give an concrete example:
      I stack off vs a fish with TP decent kicker bc from my assumptions he stacks off with many draws, any TP etc...
      Turns out that he has the kicker just above mine. Where my assumptions right? Or am I too wide? If it happens couples of times then I find difficult to know where I am vs that villain.

I recommend that you set regular alarms (like a Mindfulness online Bell) every 15 minutes just a s a "reminder" to check in and ask yourself "Am I still focused? How am i doing emotionally? and so on.
      Good idea

I recommend that you when you take breaks do some quick exercises such as 10 mindful push-ups breathing in 3-5 seconds on the way down and breath out 3-5 seconds on the way up. Make sure you have a glass of water and a quick bit of an apple or such. Then go over your session goals if you have any so everything is fresh in your mind.

Hope that helps a bit and don' forget to check out my new video thats being released today.
      :)
      will try that - yep another video on my long list. I'm way behind in terms of stuff that I need to do away from the tables.

Thanks!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there!

I understand that you don't have many problems with your mindset as a recreational player, as I'm in a similar situation. Once you play just for fun as some additional income, it's way easier to let go of the money and not be affected by it :) .

Do you have any problems regarding your learning/productivity/getting things done/procrastination/energy levels/focus/etc.?

I see that erik has already given you some great advice for your breaks :) . You can brainstorm some more mindless (or mindful) activities if you ever get bored of doing pushups all the time :D . You can do things like juggling, stretching, etc. as well :) .

-Primož
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Where my assumptions right? Or am I too wide? If it happens couples of times then I find difficult to know where I am vs that villain.
      When this happens in a session, do you actively go out and try to find the answer by talking to other coaches etc?
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Do you have any problems regarding your learning/productivity/getting things done/procrastination/energy levels/focus/etc.?
      -Primož
      Hey Primoz welcome to my blog!
      I think I'm ok with this when it comes to poker as I have no time to waste!
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Where my assumptions right? Or am I too wide? If it happens couples of times then I find difficult to know where I am vs that villain.
      When this happens in a session, do you actively go out and try to find the answer by talking to other coaches etc?
      Yeah i do but usually after the session. So I still have to deal with it during the session. Now to be fair it doesnt happen often
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Ok so here is what i'll implement from now on:

As a warm up, before each nl200 session ill review my notes of one of my session with Dustin.
      Will focus specifically on the topic covered during my session.
      Every 30 mins i'll ask myself if I am still focused and play my A game
      Every 1.5h i'll take a 2/3 mins break.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      1.Every 30 mins i'll ask myself if I am still focused and play my A game

2.Every 1.5h i'll take a 2/3 mins break.
      1. If the answer is no. Depending on how you feel, Hw will you actively bring yourself back to playing your A-Game?

2.What will you do during the breaks? You want to be specific and write them down :)
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      1.Every 30 mins i'll ask myself if I am still focused and play my A game

2.Every 1.5h i'll take a 2/3 mins break.
      1. If the answer is no. Depending on how you feel, Hw will you actively bring yourself back to playing your A-Game?

2.What will you do during the breaks? You want to be specific and write them down :)
      I kinda fail to do this tbh :(
      I am reviewing my notes on sessions, but not always just before my sessions as a warm up.
      Really need to think about these changes.
      1) I should take a break if I am not playing my A game
      2) Prob just go to living room, talk to my gf, get a snack or put cold water on my face (kinda like that to refresh my mind).

Despite those failures, had my best day ever yesterday :)