[NL20-NL50] 25shz AKo BU

• AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $43.78 (175.1 bb)
      SB: $34.92 (139.7 bb)
      BB: $124.19 (496.8 bb)
      UTG: $27.29 (109.2 bb)
      MP: $38.38 (153.5 bb)
      CO: $53.11 (212.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A K
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB folds, BB raises to $2.10, CO folds, Hero raises to $5, BB calls $2.90

Flop: ($10.60) T 4 J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6, BB calls $6

Turn: ($22.60) 6 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($22.60) 7 (2 players)
      BB bets $8.54, Hero folds

Results:
      $22.60 pot ($1.24 rake)
      Final Board: T 4 J 6 7
      Hero mucked A K and lost (-$11 net)
      BB mucked and won $21.36 ($10.36 net)

CO: VPIP: 20, PFR: 14, 3B: 3, AF: 4.3, Hands: 742
      BB: VPIP: 31, PFR: 21, 3B: 9, AF: 1.3, Hands: 106

Tried to exploit CO steal range and BB resteal here, both being loose.
      Was willing to go broke vs BB (but not vs CO).

Problem is xe calls, I try a bluff on Flop with a GS backup in case xe calls but dreams vanish and I'm left with nothing but an itchy hand.

Thoughts?
      I need to improve my AK/QQ play, so much.
      I'm getting a little better with QQ I think, but AK is still a mystery to me.
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I think u misplayed the hand on every street.

Preflop: im 3betting a ton here with bluffs IP and deep. Ako is an easy 3b. I am not that keep with backraising the squeeze when we are deep cos how would u react to a 5bet? Not saying the play is bad but u need to know how to react.

Flop: i think checking back for showdown is a decent option. Betting cant be bad too with 2 overs and a gutshot.

Turn: u can fire turn and river as a 3 barrel bluff or u can check turn and call river. We are ahead of AQ KQ here so we cant fold. 7 improves 89s though but we cant fold imo.

Thanks.
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

I think u misplayed the hand on every street.

Preflop: im 3betting a ton here with bluffs IP and deep. Ako is an easy 3b. I am not that keep with backraising the squeeze when we are deep cos how would u react to a 5bet? Not saying the play is bad but u need to know how to react.

Flop: i think checking back for showdown is a decent option. Betting cant be bad too with 2 overs and a gutshot.

Turn: u can fire turn and river as a 3 barrel bluff or u can check turn and call river. We are ahead of AQ KQ here so we cant fold. 7 improves 89s though but we cant fold imo.

Thanks.
      wow ok I completely missed the fact I called and backraised here, meh.

I'm 3Betting a ton too in this spot, but I'm not sure how to properly handle the situation with deep stacks after CO 4Bets me, if xe does.
      Probably that's why I called.

But after the squeeze from BB then I decided to 4Bet, which is a bad idea because if xe's squeeze bluffing, I should call and leave xem bluffing right?

But what about the risk of postflop 3way? (all 3 of us are deep)

And about calling xem, I thought xe would be on TT/JJ/QQ, and all 3 hands fit xyr play, by trying to slowplay flop, XR turn, and getting value on river.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Would backraise if we were 100bb deep but i think calling should be better with deeper stacks.

If u 3b and face a 4b u can always make a min5b and jam (if u are 5b bluffing a lot and he 6b bluffs sometimes, then going allin 200bb with AK is not a problem at all).
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Would backraise if we were 100bb deep but i think calling should be better with deeper stacks.
      Can I ask why?

Also, what if I have reason to believe that CO doesn't 4Bet bluff (and let's not even talk about 6b bluffs)?
      Is 3Bet still the best idea?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      If we were 100bb deep stacking AKo here will definitely be +EV vs the majority of opponents. If we were deeper than 100bb, then we may potentially make a mistake vs his 5betting range (we either 4b/fold and make a mistake if his 5b range is wide, or we 4b/call vs a range that crushes AKo).

Thus I would prefer a call vs his squeeze without too many reads especially if the initial raiser folded.

If CO doesn't 4b bluff at all, then it just boils down to whether CO ever calls wide enough vs your 3bets. If he only 4bets AK/QQ+ with 0 bluffs, and doesn't call all that much, then flatting here is definitely better. If he has no bluffs but still calls with AQ KQ AJ and many suited connectors like T9s 87s A5s etc, then 3bet/folding AK is the better play.