fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, BTN calls $0.50, fold, fold

FLOP ($1.30) Q:spade: 3:spade: J:club:

Hero bets $0.70, BTN calls $0.70

TURN ($2.70) Q:spade: 3:spade: J:club: T:club:

Hero bets $1.40, BTN calls $1.40

RIVER ($5.50) Q:spade: 3:spade: J:club: T:club: Q:heart:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

56/23, ag. freq F/T/R 45/53/27, 39h

I am not happy betting turn, I don't get too much value and his range has good equity. But if I check, he can bet very likely. SO I bet to see free showdown. And I can improve yet.

he is passive on river, so should not make much trouble.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hi,

Being OOP you don't get a free showdown if you bet. He always has the option to bet river IP.

Prefllop, J9o from CO seems a bit too wide for me. Include more suited hands, forget their offsuit counterparts. Postflop, I think your play is OK. However, I would often check the flop here and go from there against this opponent that has reasonable aggression because he can bluff vs checks imo. If you bet you will get some value but you also make him fold all his air from his wide preflop range.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Prefllop, J9o from CO seems a bit too wide for me.

interesting. J9o is included even in the tightest poskerstrategy openraise chart, so thats why I open it wihtout even thinking a lot. Also I open 2.5bb often, so not huge loose when they fight back.

And for example BTN still can call with all suited Jx and 9x, some weaker ofsuit Jx and 9x.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Prefllop, J9o from CO seems a bit too wide for me.

interesting. J9o is included even in the tightest poskerstrategy openraise chart, so thats why I open it wihtout even thinking a lot. Also I open 2.5bb often, so not huge loose when they fight back.

And for example BTN still can call with all suited Jx and 9x, some weaker ofsuit Jx and 9x.
      Hmmm.. which chart? Any link? It's not always too wide but you really have to know what's up with your opponents and your own ranges. I much prefer a hand like 75s to J9o... Basically, if the offsuit hand is not quite high and connected, I care about the pair value less and less. J9o is right borderline for high card value.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Hmmm.. which chart? Any link?

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1671/1/

look at "Minimum table short-handed:"
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      He puts J9o in the same pool as J9s which is obviously extremely bad. Apart from that, the BU range presented there is not wide enough. If you can play so wide in CO you should be able to play way wider in BU than the chart presents.

I've been saying these charts are very outdated for about 2 years. I almost never use article references in my comments because they simply do not apply to today's games. For example, it the maximum chart it suggests increasing your BU range only by 6% compared to CO. That is not correct. If you can play 45% in CO you can probably play 100% on BU.

Overall the chart suggests position's importance allows for linear range increase but it's actually exponential. You can play 10% UTG and 100% BU. Position, position, position.