[NL2-NL10] Nl2 Aa#6

• redrawstump
      redrawstump
      Bronze
      Here's my final losing hand...

Villain insta-shoved the river which I thought may be a missed flush draw, even though I've got the Ah. Again, as before, can you ever fold a set of AAs?

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 198.5 BB
      SB: 99 BB
      BB: 57.5 BB
      UTG: 101 BB
      MP: 175.5 BB
      CO: 117 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, fold, CO calls 6 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 2 players) 9:heart: 4:spade: 8:heart:
      CO checks, Hero bets 9 BB, CO calls 9 BB

Turn: (37.5 BB, 2 players) A:club:
      CO checks, Hero bets 18 BB, CO calls 18 BB

River: (73.5 BB, 2 players) Q:club:
      CO bets 81 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 81 BB
      CO shows J:diamond: T:diamond: (Straight, Queen High) (Pre 22%, Flop 32%, Turn 18%)Hero shows A:heart: A:spade: (Three of a Kind, Aces) (Pre 78%, Flop 68%, Turn 82%)CO wins 227.5 BB

Thanks for taking a look at these hands, it's dented the old confidence a bit having lost 6 out of 14 AA hands over the past few days.

Cheers!
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I was seriously wondering how you actually lost the hand until I look at the spoilers :)

There's no chance I'm ever folding here, not when the flush draw missed. Even if the flush got there it would be super tough for me to lay down top set. We beat stuff like AQ still.
    • redrawstump
      redrawstump
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for the evaluations.

I'm still up over these last 4k hands but only just...

So a common thread in all of these posts is to raise bigger when I have a premium hand. I just have a default of 3BB from BTN and CO and 4BB elsewhere. Should I keep this up with my suited connectors and broadways and go for the odd cheeky extra BB or 2 (opening 5BBs and 3-betting to 11-12) with my AK QQ+ holdings?

Thanks
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

About having balanced sizes: This makes more sense vs a good player. Vs a fish, in general we don't need to be too concerned about balance. Raise larger with better hands, and smaller with weaker hands. They may pay attention but if the differences is subtle they probably won't care too much.

I don't know if this guy is a fish or not, but if someone is playing NL2, he is probably a beginner and is way likelier to be a fish. I think you can get away with larger value raise sizes in general with nutted hands.