Implied Odds

• Neat12
      Neat12
      Basic
      Hi,

I have a hard time understanding how you can give bad implied odds or good implied odds to your opponent. I know how to give bad pot odds or good pot odds, but I don't know about implied odds. Its hard because you don't know how much your opponents think how much you will pay them, so you don't know on what you have to base yourself other then your opponents table image.

There is the problem people calculate there implied odds based on there opponent whole stack. It does'nt come often that you will hit your draw and get your opponents whole stack. The problem I am faced off is that you don't know if you opponent base his implied odds by your whole stack, or like he think you will pay 1/4 of your stack, so if you dont know on what basis he is going to base himself how can you manipulate the implied odds , one way or the other.

What I really wanna know is how I can give bad implied odds
  • 2 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey Neat12,

Here is an article all about implied odds: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/1300/1/

But, maybe a coach or some more experienced players could give you a detailed answer for your questions :)

Hope this helps.

Also, how about we turn your basic status into at least bronze?
      Have you started the quiz yet?

Regards,

Kyle.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      The pot odds are how big the pot is, divided by the amount you need to bet.

Lets look at it from your point of view first.

Let's say you are BU with 77 and have a 100 BB stack, and MP also w/ 100 BB raises 4 BB, everyone else folds.

You need to put in 4BB to win 5.5 BB

You are getting pot ods of 1.375:1
      However, if you flop a 7, then you can expect to get his stack, so you have IMPLIED odds off 25:1. Now you know why the recommend that you and your opponent both have at least 20x the required bet when calling w/ pocket pairs.

The point is you don't control the implied part -- it is a function of stack sizes.

So now you know how to control the implied odds you give to other players:
      You play with a smaller stack.

That is why the short-stack strategy and mid-stack strategies worked as well as they did. People who played those strategies properly were giving very crappy implied odds.

All the best,
      --VS