Being a NIT

• Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      I'm often being called (insulted as) a NIT. Is that such a bad thing? Because i'm a winning player, but i'm concerned that they know it and they'll try to bluff me more. Should I change my game or just ignore them?
  • 20 replies
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      If you're a winning player, no need to change the way you play just because of what others say :P Playing too tight has some disadvantages, but so does playing too loose, probably moreso, and chances are the players berating you are probably the loose cannons So just keep nitting it up and taking their money ;)
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      I'm playing now NL2, but what about the higher limits? Is it possible to nit there?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I think that it is more important to learn to adapt to what the OTHER players are doing.

If you play an extremely tight style, and are sitting at a table w/ 5 similar players, you're going to trade blinds for a few hours.

There is an article called "The 8 player types and how to get their money"

Have a look.

If you attend some coaching sessions, watch some videos and read some articles, you may find ways to open up that you feel you can add to your game.

All the best,
      --VS
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Another thing to remember is, the bad players at micros like NL2 aren't the smartest of people.

No matter who you are and how good/bad you are, at some stage of your poker career (more-so at micros) you will get berated till no end just because they have nothing better to do.

Just let it slide off your back and keep improving and taking their money :s_cool:
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Vito992,

Being a nit in 2NL is alright. What's your VPIP/PFR if you don't mind? I was like 15/12 there before. It's all about strong hands and value bets there. Just make sure you pick or sit on loose tables to maximize your strategy.

Majority of players at this level will not play you by your stats since most of them (at least the recreational players) do not use HUD.

Also, if you have time reading the chatbox, you are not playing more tables than you should at this limit.

:s_thumbsup:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Tight is right at the Micros. If you are winning forget about everyone else and just do your thing :)

Are you playing 6 max or Full ring?
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      I'm playing 6max and my stats are 12,9/10 over 47k hands
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      is a ay of life
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      13/10 is my kind of numbers. If it's working and you're making steady $$$ then I wouldn't change it. At least up until NL5 :)

Keep it up!
    • vilistaja
      vilistaja
      Bronze
      I think 13/10 is yes a NIT on 6max, but if you like to play this way, it's your comfort zone and you are winning go for it. Also i think if somebody calls you a nit in chat, he is fish and don't know how to play against you.
      For me in micro stakes and when learning the game most important is be in your comfort zone, just play hands that you are comfortable postflop, as you improve your game you can widen your ranges.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Vito992,

If somebody calls you a nit at micros, you must be doing something right! :s_cool:
      It shows you're paying attention to you hands and your play, which puts you so far ahead of your competition it's unfair to them. :)

I'm (nearly) a nit and I love it at nl5 - easy game.

Have fun,

Mal.
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for your support :)

I have one more question: does the range widen with the limits? Can anyone show me their stats from microstakes? I'm pretty sure the game I'm playing now, won't work on higher limits :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Vito992!

It depends from player to player. I think (not sure) I'm playing 22/20 or so. But there are players that play 27/25, others 17/15. This is on nl10 so the 'top' of the micros.

Btw there are still nits on nl10! I don't know if they make any money but if they wouldn't I don't think they would be nits. Nits usually know the game better then fish so if it ain't profitable to be a nit they would've changed their style.

Regards

RasTweet
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      although i dont like being a nit, on NL2/NL5 it might be just as profitable as lets say 23/20.... just doesnt matter much, those players just suck so much postflop your winrate will go up anyways...

the only people insulting you will be the random "tag and lag and fishy" players who are unable to make $ no matter what their style

anyone who figures out your style and weaknesses wont say a word and they will just keep playing you and making money off you instead of whining in the chatbox about how badly u play
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zumpar
      the only people insulting you will be the random "tag and lag and fishy" players who are unable to make $ no matter what their style

anyone who figures out your style and weaknesses wont say a word and they will just keep playing you and making money off you instead of whining in the chatbox about how badly u play
      This is very true! I love nits :f_love:
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      What about fishes on higher micros? Is it the same as on NL2? Or they a much harder to find?
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      u will find fish anywhere, currently playing NL50 on iPoker and in average there is like 2fish per table, problem is, if u keep playing 13/10 on NL50 imo regs will destroy you so much u wont be able to compensate with the winnings from the fish..., i might be wrong though, so u just have to try and figure it out yourself...

up to NL20, i think u can play 13/10 and still win pretty nice, especially when playing such a tight style, u can play a huge amount of tables and put in a pretty big volume
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      So.. the higher the limit, the more you evaluate from a TAG into LAG.. isn't it? :)
      Of course including the fact that your reading skills and experience also increase.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Well thats not completely true I think. Like there is fish on almost every limit there will be TAGs as well. I don't think you'll find nits on nl100+ though.

RasTweet