Sheryzal

• sheryzal
      sheryzal
      Bronze
      Hi everyone !

I'm Sheryzal, or known as Martin in real life. I'm a french guy, 20 years old. I'm studying a business degree. I'm making this thread here because on the French section of Pokerstrategy, there isn't this beginners' Course, or at least it is not as well organized as it is here.

I'm already apologizing if I do any big grammatical or spelling mistakes, as English isn't my native language.

I'll keep you updated of my work in this thread, and I hope to talk with as many people as possible !

Peace and Good Luck ! :f_biggrin:
  • 2 replies
    • sheryzal
      sheryzal
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

First of all, I have always been a gamer. I just love any kind of game. When I was a little child, I learned the rules of texas hold'em online, and I played against myself with some cheaps from othello. I then forget the poker.
      I was a really good starcraft 2 player (top master when GM league wasn't out yet), and I heard about the Elky's story. I ended up reading a lot of stuff about poker, and it made me want to play again. But this time, I wouldn't play alone, I would play online !
      My mother was always kind of poor so the fact that you could win money with poker is of course something that was important at first. Then I understood that it wasn't that easy, and I started to like the game for what it is really : a game of partial knowledge with risks and skill, pretty much like starcraft. I thought to myself that I could become a good player.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      I think one of my biggest weakness is the fact that I have a stupidly big Ego. Sometimes, I forget my cards and end up calling bets because the fact that I could get bluffed out of the pot is for me unacceptable.
      One of the other problem is the fact that I am sometimes not that patient. I can end up playing marginal hands because I'm bored, even thought it is really important as a newbie player to avoid marginal situations.
      I'm also tilting when I get bad beated.
      Overall, I have pretty much every worst weaknesses a poker player could have.
      But at least I know it, and I'm willing to work on it !

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      Playing tight aggressive pretty much means that you don't play a lot of hands, but you play them aggressively. The reasons why it works are pretty simple. First of all, you only play good starting hand. These kind of hands are easily playable post flop, either you hitted the flop and you have a hand likely to win the pot, either you missed it and you can fold after your CB. By playing these "easy" hands, you avoid marginal situations where experience matters, and you play an ABC poker that win money in low limits. The agressivity is important in order to protect your hand preflop, you don't want to play against a lot of player post flop. And it gives you fold equity on the flop with your CB because even if you didn't hit the flop, chances are your opponent didn't as well. And as you were the aggressor preflop, there is no reason he wouldn't believe you.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by sheryzal
      Hi everyone !

I'm Sheryzal, or known as Martin in real life. I'm a french guy, 20 years old. I'm studying a business degree. I'm making this thread here because on the French section of Pokerstrategy, there isn't this beginners' Course, or at least it is not as well organized as it is here.

I'm already apologizing if I do any big grammatical or spelling mistakes, as English isn't my native language.

I'll keep you updated of my work in this thread, and I hope to talk with as many people as possible !

Peace and Good Luck ! :f_biggrin:
      Hello Martin,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Your English is perfect so far so don't worry about that :) Poker is a universal language :)
      Bogdan