Hero (UTG) ($12.21) 122bb
      UTG+1 ($10) 100bb
      CO ($10.46) 105bb
      BTN ($2.50) 25bb
      SB ($4.77) 48bb
      BB ($10.46) 105bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is UTG J:club: J:diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.35, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.35, SB calls $0.30, 1 fold

Flop: 3:diamond: 8:heart: J:spade: ($1.15, 3 players)
      SB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.83, BTN folds, SB calls $1.23

Turn: 7:spade: ($4.81, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.66
      sb 63/13/1.2/100
      btn 59/7
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I don't like raising the Flop when you have top set. We are virtually unafraid of any turn card in the deck so we can just call and raise most turns. We also have 2 Js, and there is only 1 more Jack left in the deck so it is half as likely that SB has a Jack himself.

As played once you raise the Flop, checking turn would not make any sense at all, especially on this coordinating turn card. Besides, SB only has 48bb, so there is really no need to raise on an earlier street to build up the pot because you would be able to get all the money in anyway if you kept betting.

Thanks.
    • nipbourne
      nipbourne
      Bronze
      i want to extract maximum value anainst draws, he could have a lot of GS/OESD, and he would call the raise with 8x maybe fold turn.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I don't think he would bet/call the Flop with a gutshot. and there's no flush draw on the board, so you only get more value from OESDs which is a small part of his range. I rather let him barrel as a bluff, or hit his A/K/Q with his broadway type of hands like AK AQ KQ, as opposed to raising and folding out those hands on the Flop immediately.

I think you need to start thinking about how to maximize your EV vs his entire range, and not just putting him on specific hands. Sure your line makes sense if he only bets the Flop with draws and would never fold them to a raise. But what if he folds often to raises, but will bluff the Turn really often when checked to?

Also if he bet/calls the Flop with 8X I think he would bet Flop and c/c Turn with 8X as well. So you get a similar amount into the hand. And I think he's much likelier to bet F c/c T with 8X than to bet/call Flop with 8X, where he needs to worry about potentially facing both a Turn and River bet with 2 streets left to come.