Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($10) 100bb 22/19, 50h
      HERO (CO) ($12.36) 124bb
      BTN ($7.97) 80bb
      SB ($10.12) 101bb
      BB ($4) 40bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) HERO is CO Q:diamond: Q:spade:
      UTG raises to $0.30, HERO raises to $0.90, 3 folds, UTG raises to $2.40, HERO goes all-in $12.36

Standard stack-off? VS QQ+, AK I got ~ 40% equity.

I`m risking 7.60 to win 3.75, that means I need at least 33% equity.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

In general, don't 3bet a hand for value if you are not willing to stack off. So the initial problem boils down to the initial 3bet. Why are you 3betting this if you don't feel comfortable stacking off?

3bet/folding JJ/QQ here only makes sense if
      -You KNOW his 4bet range crushes you
      -You KNOW he doesn't fold too much to 3bet so you have a lot of value with a 3bet

This usually applies to a loose passive fish.

Vs this unknown opening from MP i probably flat here. I don't think a 22/19 player is opening all that wide from MP, probably 14-15% of starting hands here.

Thanks.
    • dienaszaglis
      dienaszaglis
      Bronze
      In general, don't 3bet a hand for value if you are not willing to stack off. So the initial problem boils down to the initial 3bet. Why are you 3betting this if you don't feel comfortable stacking off?

We don`t always have to stack off, if we 3-bet for value. Sometimes villain will call worse and 4-bet better.

But in this case, after he 4-bets, and we can assume, that his range is QQ+, AK, I think, we can stack off here.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

The problem is the uncertainty involved. If you need to post and ask whether you should have 3bet/5bet or fold to the 4bet, then you should probably have avoided the spot in the first place.

For example if you were in BvB with 0 reads on your opponent, 100bb deep, I would just 3bet and happily stack off.

But in this instance, it's uncertain whether you have value in the first place. Maybe he just folds too often to 3bets. Maybe he likes to 4bet as a bluff for the very first bet. We don't know, so we should stick to the default.

I think I would 3bet QQ vs an MP open by default if he is loose (17%+ open range from a particular position). I'm fairly certain that a 22/19 player opens around 14-15% from this position.

I know sample is small, and 3b/5b is never going to be a huge mistake here for sure. I just think that flatting vs someone who seems slightly tighter may be the better alternative. At higher limits this is a pretty easy 3b/5b cos people just 4bet so frequently as a bluff. At NL50 in MP vs CO i don't think it'll happen so much, simply because people just don't bluff 3bet vs EP/MP openers often enough.

If you get QQ in vs a range of QQ+/AK, you are an underdog. So the value of your 5bet comes from the times your opponent folds his 4bet to the 5bet and you win 20bb+.

Thanks.