This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 overpair vs lead bet

• donroops
      donroops
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP1: $2 (100 bb)
      MP2: $1.06 (53 bb)
      MP3: $1.08 (54 bb)
      CO: $2.90 (145 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $3.99 (199.5 bb)
      SB: $0.93 (46.5 bb)
      BB: $1.85 (92.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 9
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, SB folds, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) 6 5 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.14, Hero raises to $0.34, BB calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.81) 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.38, BB calls $0.38

River: ($1.57) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $1.57 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: 6 5 4 2 4
      Hero mucked 9 9 and lost (-$0.78 net)
      BB showed 5 5 and won $1.52 ($0.74 net)

Pre-flop - Standard raise here. Villain is a fish with 51/7 over 43 hands
      Flop - With a lead bet i put villain on some pair or two pair. So i elect to raise for value before any scare cards. Maybe a bigger raise.
      Turn - Think i was still thinking i'm good here most of the time, thinking villain still on a pair most of the time. Didn't put villain on a draw alot with a lead bet. So i value bet again.
      River - with 2 calls and a card which doesn't help. I can't see villain calling me with worse holdings than a pair. So I check.
  • 4 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      I'd prefer to just call this flop. You have a weak overpair and fish donks pot on you on a board that rarely hits only 1p range. So call flop and re-evaluate turn, but raising here is total speww.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Don,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: That's a rather large donk on the flop so it polarizes villains range slightly. Are you planning to raise/call or raise/fold?

I think that going broke on the flop would be a mistake so I would raise fold.

As played the turn bet is very thin and versus a fish we can get some value from 7x, 6x, 77-88 and a rare backdoor flush. So I don't mind your bet and then check river back.
    • donroops
      donroops
      Bronze
      It's a raise/fold on flop.
      I wanted to raise, as it makes my life easier.
      Ok. so say if i called flop, and he bet 2/3 pot on turn, same board, what would I do? Just call again?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by donroops
      It's a raise/fold on flop.
      I wanted to raise, as it makes my life easier.
      Ok. so say if i called flop, and he bet 2/3 pot on turn, same board, what would I do? Just call again?
      Do you expect a passive fish to bet turn into you for 2/3 pots with a weaker hand? If yes then we call again but I would say that against a fish we can fold the turn as well.