Nationalities at the tables, how do they influence game style

• johnberry256
      johnberry256
      Bronze
      A few days ago during a tournament I started to really dislike the icon I had on the table so I changed it to my country's flag. This got me thinking, if this would make other players treat me any different.

Today, I was reading on the strategy section about multitabling (Link) in this article in "Table Selection" I found this: "Then I check the present nationalities real quickly, and in case a seat is already open..."

Now the questions:
      Do you guys think that nationality is really a factor on the tables? do you treat the guys from different nationalities any different?

I don't want to start a discussion on racism on the tables, no I don't mean any of that, I'm only talking about playing style, as:

Do you tend to be more aggressive towards certain nationality? or maybe you play more conservatively with guys from some other country?

What are your thoughts on this?
  • 33 replies
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      My thoughts:When its really late,i like to play with people from Finland,Sweden,Ukraine :D dont know,works well :D
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hoping to hear some interesting discussion here. Great subject IMO!
    • Madejski
      Madejski
      Bronze
      I play microstakes. I really like to play against people from Turkey and UK. Turks are maniacs and they do not fold, they raise and shove. UK people, calling stations. They do not fold either, they call every pair to the end.
      People from Netherlands, Norway and my fellow countrymen are also opponents I like to play against.
      This is not carved in stone. I had encounters with a few Turks who tured up to be very good players and I had to spend a few BI to find that out. Again, I play micros. I am guessing that in higher stakes situation might be different.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      poker is a game of information, and while country is a very weak "read", it's something to consider when you don't have much else.

i call down lighter against russians myself idk
    • TooSickMan
      TooSickMan
      Basic
      Forgot to refer netherlands,awesome players,no disrespect but they are all so crazy :P
    • Xrocetoxtos
      Xrocetoxtos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TooSickMan
      Forgot to refer netherlands,awesome players,no disrespect but they are all so crazy :P
      This was the very first post I read on this forum... Thanks ;)
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      Russians aggressive, Americans fish, all I got.
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Country of origin definitely makes a difference, I tend to call down much much lighter against people from Russia for example, because they are a crazy aggressive country. So here are a few examples:

Russians: Extra aggressive!

Netherlands: Worst poker playing country out there. 95% of them are high on marijuana and so they play like anyone on drugs! Like they are insane.

United Kingdom: Big population so they have a wide range of competent players as well as fish, like Canada, but the majority lean towards fishy.

China/Taiwan/Japan etc: The asian nations have more faith in luck and therefore are much quicker to take a gamble.

Greece: The greeks play similar to the netherlands, except instead of playing like they are on drugs, they play like they are incredibly stupid. So i understand how the country went bankrupt.

Portugal: Country filled with nothing but donkeys, and they have no tilt control, always abuse chat when they lose.

Lithuania: Seems most players from here take poker as their serious job, and feels like its a multi-tabling grinding country, all grinders.

Americans: Way back before black friday i felt like american players were tougher than most, because they are such a hardcore try-hard country.
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      I play NL2, winning player and don't take into consideration the nationalities on the table.

When it comes to nationalities, we're talking here about the stereotypes. It's based in the country's culture itself. For example: Japan has a culture based on samurais. It contains honor, duty, loyalty, etc. I can assume that they would be more disciplined in learning something and therefore they'll get less on tilt. I also can not agree about their belief towards luck. Maybe there is a link with fortune, but they are more attending to accomplish their goals by hard working.

I agree with Tomaloc, it's a weak "read". Stereotyping someone is natural to human. It activates from itself, but we always get to choose if we want to accept or ignore it. For example: if I say that "muslims tend to commit more crimes", I'm sure your brain will start remembering what you saw or read somewhere long ago. But it's up to you to decide, before you label someone, whether it applies to all of them, the majority, a part of them or is it just the media that influence you.

What I mean to say is that these kind of "reads" can cost you a lot. You can always spot a fish, whether from Canada, Russia, Japan or from the Moon. A fish will be a fish :) You should treat all your opponents individually and adjust your game according to their playing style.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Akcus
      B]Americans[/B]: Way back before black friday i felt like american players were tougher than most, because they are such a hardcore try-hard country.
      I play when it is is 21:00 - 01:00 in the Eastern time zone.

Before Black Friday, I found that most players at the tables from the US in those hours we fairly easy to read, and it was fairly easy to avoid the tough ones.

Now at those hours, most of Europe is asleep, and the ones still up playing poker are (unfortunately for me) mostly pretty good players.

I will add:
      Canadians: Beware these guys. They will own you. Play very, very tight, especially if one is on your right. Never 3Bet them from the blinds. Never. Ever. OK?

Cheers,
      --VS
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      B]Americans[/B]: Way back before black friday i felt like american players were tougher than most, because they are such a hardcore try-hard country.
      I play when it is is 21:00 - 01:00 in the Eastern time zone.

Before Black Friday, I found that most players at the tables from the US in those hours we fairly easy to read, and it was fairly easy to avoid the tough ones.

Now at those hours, most of Europe is asleep, and the ones still up playing poker are (unfortunately for me) mostly pretty good players.

I will add:
      Canadians: Beware these guys. They will own you. Play very, very tight, especially if one is on your right. Never 3Bet them from the blinds. Never. Ever. OK?

Cheers,
      --VS
      You must be Canadian then, EH?? :] :]
    • Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Greece: The greeks play similar to the netherlands, except instead of playing like they are on drugs, they play like they are incredibly stupid. So i understand how the country went bankrupt.
      Off topic but I have to comment on that.
      What we should have done is send a bunch of politicians to the firing squad, if only for providing the excuse to apparently totally retarded people like this one, to make such comments.
    • Neurolinguist
      Neurolinguist
      Bronze
      can i ask what sidekick hv to say on this :) ?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Let's remain on topic here guys. No silly racist remarks will be allowed here and if this continues we'll have to close this up.
    • sfinxs1000
      sfinxs1000
      Global

Netherlands: Worst poker playing country out there. 95% of them are high on marijuana and so they play like anyone on drugs! Like they are insane.

[
    • Mantelo
      Mantelo
      Gold
      Lithuania: Seems most players from here take poker as their serious job, and feels like its a multi-tabling grinding country, all grinders.
      [/I].
      Well spotted :f_biggrin:
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Surely there has to be some website out there where you can work out fish per capita or fish per reg per country.

I'd personally go with Canadians as the worst players I see. Maybe it's just the timezone, but if I see a Canadian who is unknown I get happy :s_grin:

Ofcourse each player needs to be judged on his own. But I think you could probably get a countries income per capita and the countries with high incomes would have the weakest players (like Austrlalia and Canada) people from these countries have mroe disposable income to gamble/play/entertain themselves with.
      Whilst countries with access to poker that have lower income/capita would be stronger.

My theory anyways...
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Brazilians are always bluffing, Greeks are on a perpetual tilt, true story.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Also, in this masterpiece video you get some tips right in the beginning about players by nationalities. (jump to 1:40, 3:50 and some more tips all through the series)