How do you guys bounce back from a bad beat?

• football123
      football123
      Basic
      I'd played poker here and there my whole life, but only recently did I start playing a lot and putting decent money on the line, I was extremely successful my first couple months and made some good money. I decided to make a run at a higher stakes cash game than I'd played before (6 players at the table). I was playing well and more than doubled my money a couple hours into the game then I got a bad beat. I was dealt pocket sixes under the gun so I tripled the big blind, I got one caller. The flop came 6 4 4 all different suits, he bet half the pot and I just called, turn came with a ten he bet the pot which was about half my stack and I pushed over the top all in figuring he had a pocket over-pair but he hadn't hit a set. He calls and turns over king 4 off suit and I turn over my sixes. River comes with a 4 giving him quads. I lost almost all of my bankroll on that hand I haven't been able to play the same since. I'm a tight aggressive player, but since that hand I'm not playing near enough hands (probably 10-15%), and in spots where I would buy pots before I just haven't been making aggressive enough bets because even though nothing indicates that he has it I always think someones gonna turn the nuts over on me. I know I'm nowhere near the first guy to have a beat like this so I'm hoping I can get some advice from you guys on how to get my game back to where it was.
  • 8 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by football123
      I'd played poker here and there my whole life, but only recently did I start playing a lot and putting decent money on the line, I was extremely successful my first couple months and made some good money. I decided to make a run at a higher stakes cash game than I'd played before (6 players at the table). I was playing well and more than doubled my money a couple hours into the game then I got a bad beat. I was dealt pocket sixes under the gun so I tripled the big blind, I got one caller. The flop came 6 4 4 all different suits, he bet half the pot and I just called, turn came with a ten he bet the pot which was about half my stack and I pushed over the top all in figuring he had a pocket over-pair but he hadn't hit a set. He calls and turns over king 4 off suit and I turn over my sixes. River comes with a 4 giving him quads. I lost almost all of my bankroll on that hand I haven't been able to play the same since. I'm a tight aggressive player, but since that hand I'm not playing near enough hands (probably 10-15%), and in spots where I would buy pots before I just haven't been making aggressive enough bets because even though nothing indicates that he has it I always think someones gonna turn the nuts over on me. I know I'm nowhere near the first guy to have a beat like this so I'm hoping I can get some advice from you guys on how to get my game back to where it was.
      First off, the most important thing is bankroll management by far in this case.
      You should never be able to lose most of your bankroll in one hand.
      On average most people use 30 buy in bankroll management, moving up when they have 30 buy ins for the next limit.
      I personally use 20 buy ins because I am only playing micro limits at the moment.
      I have heard that for NL50+ it is good to have 50BI or more because the higher aggression leads to bigger swings.
      Whatever amount you use, it is more important that you stick to it than use the exact size, being able to move up or down limits as your bankroll management dictates.
    • Meda1985
      Meda1985
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      You should never be able to lose most of your bankroll in one hand.
      I have heard that for NL50+ it is good to have 50BI or more because the higher aggression leads to bigger swings.
      Whatever amount you use, it is more important that you stick to it than use the exact size, being able to move up or down limits as your bankroll management dictates.
      There's your answer! :) Move up the limits starting NL2 with 25BI rule, when you reach NL10, make it 50BI rule, and after NL50 you can switch to 100BI rule and play that way always!
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      When you'll have more experience (lets say something like 200k+ hands), you'll be laughing at your bad beats/suck outs :)

PS today I lost 3 times in a row with Aces (all of them pre-flop shove) and I just laughed the 3rd time.. it didn't affect me a bit, I kept cool and by the end of may session made a decent profit ;) If you're playing by your bankroll, such bad beats and suck outs (which is in your case) won't affect you anymore (or at least minimal affection in the beginning, before you play at least 100k+ hands)
    • aposvret
      aposvret
      Bronze
      This happened like 4 years ago i was still 18 and in my first steps in poker life i was playing with a stack of 210 euro which i had a 30( buy in ) lost and rebought 50 so 80 of 210 is mine and i had no idea about bankroll management or how i should play i usually played my hand only and was rly tight player but i had a job at that time and if i had a decent hand i would play my money my goal was to buy in for a 30 and get like double profit i used to play like 3 4 times a week.

Anyways to keep things short with the above number i am playing 0.5 - 1 blind s live and utg makes it 3.5 fold fold re-raise 10 from a rly tight player which felt like a monster fold and me on the button i have pokcet 3's and i know that if i flop a set i can get his money prob which is more than i alrdy have anyways i give it a thought and call lighty with my 3's small blind calls too and we got bb folding and utg ( the 1st raiser also folding ) flop comes 3 - 3 - 4 rainbow and i got quads on the flop and trying to keep pokerface smallblinds checks the other guy bets 25 in a pot of almost 35euros i min raise instantly cause yea i was that dump and small blind instantly goes all in the other guy is giving it some thought and folds and when i snap called he showed us aces anyways turn came a 4 and i lost quads to quads . but nowadays when i recall that hand i wonder who was unlucky ... when i lost i went out the smt like a pub i guess and wondered like a zombie trying to realise what just happened .

Nevertheless it's a great story even though the poker was terrible.

But i question to u that , u r feeling so unlucky how do u thing the other guy felt when his K-4 went against ur 66 on the turn when he was like sure u had an overpair and he initially calls with K - 4 and thinks oh i outflopped him so hard i am getting paid big time .

Anyways when u do come back from that suckout u will once see this and laugh and have a good story for urself.
    • Joakimxm
      Joakimxm
      Bronze
      getting over a suckout shouldnt be a problem if you know poker.
      The only thing you can do when all in in poker is to have the best of it if you loose you know you did the right thing and you will come in hundreds of those situations later and probably win 70 of them depends youre hands ofc :)
    • football123
      football123
      Basic
      Good advice guys, I'm back at the lower buy in games and biding my time until I have the bankroll to go back and beat that game.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

Just moved the thread.

Regards

RasTweet
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      Assess how bad of a beat it is, after playing so long you tend to not focus on badbeats, it's not worth our time. If you keep getting these beats and focus on leaks, you'll see a profit :) You just need the bankroll (as mentioned previously) to sustain variance, all it is. The more accustomed you become to badbeats, the more you start focusing on other parts of the game and from then it really snowballs, how you look at poker, how quickly one improves, etc etc. GL, Paul.