Gameplan for live deepstack play

• 6 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think raise sizes are typically way larger in live games. For example in the average 100bb online game people raise 3bb, but in live games it's not uncommon to have the open raise be somewhere between 5-10bb.

Assuming stealing the blinds are irrelevant, the SPR if the standard open raise size is 10bb. 300bb deep is gonna be fairly similar to the SPR in a 100bb 3bb open game. I don't think we need to alter our post flop plan too much, we can push our value hands for X number of streets of value in a similar fashion.

About general live play - I find that it's just better to play significantly tighter in early positions. I find myself getting impatient and raising the 97s type of hands from UTG but it always doesn't turn out well when I get multiple callers behind me and I start hating myself for burning 5bb.

Limp more from EP if the table is passive and loose, and if there are aggro players behind just tighten up.
    • lnternet
      lnternet
      Bronze
      If you are playing with regulars only, play will not change very much from a 100bb game.

If you are playing with a fish, or multiple fish, things will escalate around them more quickly. What often happens in live games is that the sizing gets out of hand. There may be a fish who almost never folds preflop. So the iso raise, naturally, is very big, like 10 or 20 big blinds (you should almost never iso to 3-5bb in a live game, as the fish are there to play flops, not to fold preflop!). Then the 3bet size from another regular will be very big, and your 300bb stack may play a lot like a 100bb stacks.

Maybe you can make the question a bit more specific. I could talk about some other ideas but I am not sure what you are looking for exactly with your question or what level your thought process is on right now.
    • atton64
      atton64
      Platinum
      I play live poker (almost) every friday.
      The card club is in a medium sized city. Usually 2 tables run, 1 is 0,25-0,5$ blinds and one with 1-2,5$. I play in the higher stake OFC, and it can be pretty deep, last friday there were 3x 600bb stack.
      The player pool is pretty much the same every week, sometimes 1 or 2 unknown come but thats all. Everyone knows everyone (except me haha but I don't go to such place for making friends).

Last friday 2 people talked about 1 player at the table. The guy sells some percentage of his mtt buyin for a big live event. And the 2 called him "online professional". I had a big wtf moment there but I ceased my mouth. I'm sure he is not an online professional... But I'm not sure if he is a live one.

So I had a party with this """pro""" guy.History: I made him fold with a check raise that day.

He raised pre 5bb from 400bb stack there were 3 more call and I sit in the sb with 99 so I flatted and bb too.

Flop comes: Kd9h7s (30bb pot)
      the "pro" checked, ch, ch, one guy bets 15bb, I called, everyone folded to the "pro" guy who check raised 45bb, then everyone folded to me. I reraised it to 100bb because of the history, and he insta shoved 400bb with KQo.
      Turn Kx
      and then

River: what you think?????? ?( :evil: Check spoiler then!
      2x. :coolface: Haha so its not a bad beat story.

So my question is that: despite this garbage play can he be a "live" pro?
      Now I am really not sure if he is... Since there are a lot of pretty pretty bad player can be someone who is not that bad a winning regular there? He makes mistakes but his mistakes are on med level compared to the other players.

What you think which stats a live pro plays?
    • Lackoogcb
      Lackoogcb
      Black
      dude... live pro is a funny title... Daniel Negreanu "is one of the best live player" and he is one of the biggest fishes at stars 50-100 :D D, when he sits in 30 players on waiting list in no time and not for playing with a "big name":) btw I love Daniel he is funny and still not the worst celebrity live poker player, but compare to today's online pros jeeeeeeze... or just simply search for some Phil Hellmuth videos and you will find the answer (very funny) :)

anyway there are some very very good live poker players who analyse superdeep spots and make you uncomfortable by playing online w 100bbs, but this is very rare. And obv. the edge is more slighter beetween players, because you don't have enough history, no stats and etc. You can't assume thin ranges because the biggest nit plays 20/10 vpip/pfr and the regs 50/20 superdeep and everybody has 20% fold to 3bet
    • atton64
      atton64
      Platinum
      You can't track live poker. Just wondering: Daniel loses online, which is trackable. Daniel loses at live poker->it's not trackable, so lets say he is a big winner with marketing purposes. If you know what I mean.
    • Lackoogcb
      Lackoogcb
      Black
      yeah basically i guess this is the deal :)