where to stop ?

• champ44
      champ44
      Bronze
      hi. its been a longtime since i posted something last time..i got very good advice and some ppl were rude also..but no doubt it was of great help..now a days i have started playin every day with a stop lose of $50 -$100 per day which includes my buyin for $1 to $11 for MTTS.and one buyin for $.25-.50 zoom table.i m satisfied with my performance in MTTs havent won any big but still recoverin my buyins by finishin ITM..
      main problem im facing right now on cash table s that i m unable to get up even if I hv doubled my initial buy in..so at the end i m losin whole stack or getting up at breack even..but not in profit..
      pls suggest any possible methods to improvein my situation..
      pls advice ..and thanks for reading...
  • 5 replies
    • marcepoker17
      marcepoker17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by champ44
      hi. its been a longtime since i posted something last time..i got very good advice and some ppl were rude also..but no doubt it was of great help..now a days i have started playin every day with a stop lose of $50 -$100 per day which includes my buyin for $1 to $11 for MTTS.and one buyin for $.25-.50 zoom table.i m satisfied with my performance in MTTs havent won any big but still recoverin my buyins by finishin ITM..
      main problem im facing right now on cash table s that i m unable to get up even if I hv doubled my initial buy in..so at the end i m losin whole stack or getting up at breack even..but not in profit..
      pls suggest any possible methods to improvein my situation..
      pls advice ..and thanks for reading...
      Hi champ44,

Imo you can try to set a more precise loosing limit, like $50-or 75$(or whatever you like better) I believe the main target choosing the limit should be not to feel to bad closing your session(obv you wont feel good having a loosing session, still there are amounts that you can afford)!
      At the same time I would consider to set a precise winning limit on cash games, $wise or BuyIns, like $50-or 1BuyIn(or 2 if you feel more confident having the possibility to re-buy).
      I guess if you manage to get use to this system(and I believe you should find the one that works better for you, so if you don't feel comfortable with the limit you set, just try out another one!) after a while you will just get a feeling of when it's better for you to close the session and walk away, or just re-buy bc you are playing well and your loss was just unlucky.
      This is not a rule, is just a system that I found useful for myself when I had your same problem.
      Hope this could help.

Good luck ;)
      Regards
      Marce
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by champ44
      I suggest playing for a fixed number of hands, or a fixed length of tiime.

If you stop playing at a particular win/loss, then you are too focused on results I think.

I have often been told that a player shouldn't even KNOW how much they have won or lost in a session. Unfortunately for me, my brain automatically keeps track whether I want to or not.

So I play to a certain number of hands, or a fixed time.
      I will leave early if:
        The tables start to break up. ( I don'y like playing vs less than 3 others)
        My wife says dinner is ready :)
        I get too tired, or start making dumb moves.

All the best,
      --VS
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      are you only playing rush cash? why dont you just get up every time you reach 150% of your buyin and just sit back down with a normal buyin, rinse and repeat. if your playing normal cash tables you could get up and find another table.

i think setting a winning limit on cash games is not a good idea, the only reason to get up is because your effective stack is too large for your bankroll. if you're winning keep playing man! you can always call it a day if you lose a bit of your profit and feel you might have peaked.

if your going to measure your poker playing so you can restrict it or keep it consistent then always use hands played and never profit/loss.
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      When I had the same problem, I've set some rules for myself.

1. I play a fixed time
      2. My BI is 100bb, and when I get to double it up, I leave the table and find another one

Why do I leave the table when I'm running good (with 200bb+)? The reason is simple: I'm out of my comfort zone (my stack compared to my BR). When I've been analyzing my sessions, I've seen that I was making a lot of dumb moves. I was willing to fold more/play more passive against a 200bb+ and call more/play more aggressive against 50-100bb. I've realized that I haven't been playing my A-game and it costed me a lot (Sklansky $$ and losing value). When I started using my rules, my game has improved. Whenever I got back to play at the table with 200bb+ I've been only proving to myself that I wasn't playing my A-game :)

It may work for you or not. You just have to find the reason of your problem and try to eliminate it. Start by asking yourself the right questions, then set some goals. Whenever a goal is reached, you stop because there's no point in doing it further.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thank you everyone!