[NL20-NL50] NL30 AQo TPGK in 3b pot

• AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Silver
      On Game, $0.15/$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $133.80 (446 bb)
      SB: $46.25 (154.2 bb)
      BB: $34.92 (116.4 bb)
      Hero (MP): $46.97 (156.6 bb)
      CO: $153.66 (512.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A:spade: Q:club:
      Hero raises to $0.90, 3 folds, BB raises to $3, Hero calls $2.10

Flop: ($6.15) A:club: J:heart: 6:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $2, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($10.15) 5:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $6, Hero calls $6

River: ($22.15) T:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $23.92 and is all-in, Hero folds

No stats. BB is a reg.

Preflop: I think is ok to defend this hand with a call?

Postflop: I think it`s fine. On the river, i beat only a bluff. (AT/AJ/KQ got there). If the river was blank (6h or smth. like that), do you call?
  • 3 replies
    • Desultory
      Desultory
      Basic
      Not having stats puts you in an awkward position. How do you know hes a reg if you don't have any stats on him??

Without stats, the difficulty is in knowing his pre flop range and consequently that makes post flop difficult to determine. Some regs 3bet quite a lot vs mid position, especially if you open wide from mid position. His range could be weighted to bluffs or to value depending on how much you call in mid position.

I would assume that you aren't calling wide here given you are questioning if AQ is ok to call.

AQo can actually be ok to fold in mid position depending on his range, and also depending on how much you want to open from mid position, as you may want to keep your 3bet fold range from becoming exploitable.

Because we don't know villain stats, its difficult to say. Does he have high barreling stats? Its a really weak way to play it, but by river, because you look like AQ+ a lot and most guys will not try and barrel you off AQ, I don't expect him to have many bluffs, consequently making it a fold on river.

If the river was a blank, it doesn't change the above logic so I still fold vs unknown. BUT, if this guy has high barreling stats, that changes things, as some guys aren't even thinking rationally enough to make this logic acceptable. They are just barrelbarrelbarrel without thinking much.
    • AchillesBG
      AchillesBG
      Silver
      Originally posted by Desultory
      Not having stats puts you in an awkward position. How do you know hes a reg if you don't have any stats on him??
      HM2 doesn`t support HUD on Strobe (Ongame`s fast poker). It`s also very difficult to write notes, so i just use markings. I`m also trying to develop a solid standart game, so i play without a HUD sometimes.
    • Desultory
      Desultory
      Basic
      Fair enough. I would basically treat everyone as an unknown in this situation then.

When everyone doesn't have stats, it makes the game different imo. Many more exploitable edges. The games could end up developing their own dynamic where players regular barrel oop like this, whereas in games with stats, people keep themselves in order. I love stats a bit too much though :)

In regards to developing a solid game - I personally think you will develop faster/better using stats than not. I realise that maybe some videos state otherwise but I disagree.