Play hand

€0.05/€0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero) = (€10.00)
      BB = (€8.04)
      CO = (€11.71)
      BU = (€9.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, T.
      CO folds, BU raises to €0.30, Hero raises to €1.01, BB folds, BU calls €0.71.

Flop: (€2.12) 7, A, 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets €1.40, BU raises to €3.40, Hero raises to €8.99, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: €5.52.

Am I isolating myself against better here ?
  • 6 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I think 3betting here is fine. We can't really comfortably call in this spot, and folding is way too weak.

On the flop, what do you think about check/calling?
      Also, if you go for a bet, what's the point in making it so big?

Once he raises here I prefer folding. I don't think he ever raises a worse hand here, or a bluff.

Best,
      Plamen
    • elda420
      elda420
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answer.

The problem I had with c/c'ing on this flop was the potential flush draw on board. Also, I'm probably c-betting with around 90% of my 3-betting range here so it'd look very suspicious.

The reason I jammed after his reraise was that I had been running god awful the last few days and I know this guy probably puts me on a fairly loose C-betting range. I also tend to 3-bet fairly light.

Even then, I'm kinda concerned about the fact that I might be turning my hand into a bluff. As for the size of my flop bet, I felt that it was ideal for value/protection. Am I being too spewy ?
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      It's a 3-bet pot, so generally no-one has a FD there (especially when A :heart: hits, they can't have like AJ+ :heart:) , so no need to protect so much. Second, stack-to pot ratio is a lot smaller and you have at best a mediocre hand. By betting 3/4 of pot you will drive away all TT and otter big pp's and get called by big Aces. So generally, rather bet about 1/2 in 3-bet pots, and on this board ch/ca would be better than bet, as it's hard to get 3 streets value from worse.
    • elda420
      elda420
      Bronze
      Alright I have a better grasp of how I should approach this spot now, thanks.

Hand I just played :

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

€0.05/€0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB = (€10.00)
      MP2 = (€6.50)
      MP3 = (€7.85)
      CO = (€17.99)
      BU = (€10.00)
      SB (Hero) = (€12.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, T.
      3 folds, BU raises to €0.30, Hero raises to €1.01, BB folds, BU calls €0.71.

Flop: (€2.12) 3, A, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets €1.40, Hero calls €1.40.

Turn: (€4.92) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets €4.00, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: €4.92.

Still feels a little spewy imo. I assume this is an easy c/f, maybe c/c if it's really small.
      If turn goes check/check I check/call almost any river. Sounds good ?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, as Cpallo said, since the Ah is on the board he has very limited combos of FDs.

Check/calling the flop is a good option if we expect villain to bluff us quite a lot in these spots since we have a good bluff catcher.
      I wouldn't say of course that cbetting is bad, since we can take value from some PPs and also don't really mind to make him fold his QJ and take the pot.
      About the sizing, as CPallo said again, SPR is quite smaller so we should consider making smaller bets with our whole range. This way, we would lose less when we bluff.
      Also, what seemed quite interesting to me, 90% cb is quite a lot considering you 3bet so much, so you should probably work a little bit on this, unless villains are not trying to play back at you.
    • elda420
      elda420
      Bronze
      Thanks for your answer :)

I (used to) 3-bet 90% of the time on this type of flop specifically, not on any flop. However, I realize it's one of my game's biggest flaws and I'm trying to pick my spots in a more careful way.

I probably 3-bet too much aswell but it's such an extremely strong tool at these stakes, people very rarely 4-bet bluff and call too much, so a c-bet does it most of the time if I don't connect with the board. If I do connect, I also get called down by garbage hands I dominate in pots they shouldn't even be part of to start off with.