Poker League Strategy Advice

• Calzo94
      Calzo94
      Basic
      The title says it all really. Me and some friends have created a small poker league amongst ourselves to add some competitive edge to our Sunday game.

The format is 8 players, 5 heats and a final table with a buy in of £10. Half goes to the winner of the heat and the other half accumulates in a final table pot of £280. Also, position in these heats is important because the winner of each heat gets 8000 chips, second gets 7000 etc.

The problem is, in recent games I haven't been able to win or even place well!
      Everyone starts with 7700 chips with blinds starting at 25/50 and going up every 15 mins. But when the blinds go up to around 1200/600 I play very few hands because the table is made up of aggressive players who will always raise and it throws me off my hands even if I have second pair.

If there is any advice that could help me to be more successful against these opponents it would be welcomed!

Just a brief summary and if any more info is needed, I will try my best to provide it.

Cheers! :)
  • 2 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Calzo94 and sry for the delay!

The usual advice is to play tighter when the table is loose and loosen up when your opponents are tight. My other advice would be to learn to stack off lighter vs your friends(opponents) when they play so aggressively. Like second pair good kicker could very often be the best hand when somebody is playing like a maniac.

Cheers!
    • Calzo94
      Calzo94
      Basic
      Thanks for the advice Kurrkabin!!
      I will try and apply this during our next heat as we are potentially having a double header this Sunday!
      Hopefully will see an improvement!
      Cheers! :)