Late Registration: When does it make sense?

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      In the MicroMillions Event 25, I satted in.

When the tournament started, there were 3100 entrants 5000 chips is the starting stack.

This is an "Ante Up" tournament. Blinds are always 5/5 and Antes go up by 10 every 10 min.

At the 2nd break, there are now 6000 entrants!
      There are 2579 still in.

Each player who entered in the last few minutes, is facing a 250 chip ante.
      Unless they get a miracle, each of them is gone in 2 orbits.

Why would they even enter?

Under what circumstances does it make sense to enter late?

Thanks,
      --VS
  • 8 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      There probably is no sense to enter. Fish just want to play tournament NOW! So they just find one that's running and lets go.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      It makes sense as long as you give yourself an edge. If you do the registration is still +EV. At least if there is no better alternative.

In the situation you discribe there is most likely no sense in late regging. I would only do it if the Buyin is too low to really care about it, while the price pool is still interesting enough.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      He ended up in the top 50!

Well played Vorpal :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      He ended up in the top 50!

Well played Vorpal :)
      Thanks Gary!
      I didn't reg late, though. :f_cool:

By the time the 2nd break came around I had an average stack, which IIRC was over triple the starting stack.

As I watched, the number of players was dropping faster than the number of entrants was climbing.

--VS
    • roobarhalRNMD
      roobarhalRNMD
      Bronze
      i quite like missing the early levels, certainly on stars you can enter an hour in & still have a very playable stack...great for those of us with time management/focus/boredom issues.
      the only events i wouldn't late reg for are bounty comps as the prize pool gets eaten into as each player busts
    • Mat55
      Mat55
      Bronze
      An even better question is..

In Micromillions rebuy + addon, I started in the beginning. At the end I had 15,000 chips in a 5,000 chip starting stack. After break and the add on period came the add-on was an astonishing 20,000 chips!!

Now, if someone late-reg'd at the last minute, goes to break and survives the 5 minute period before the add on comes, they can add-on 20,000 chips and be average stack in the tournament (as some people don't add on).

What is the point of registering in the beginning and risk busting out?
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Well I'd hope I had an edge over the other players and so would be able to accumulate a lot more chips than the average person in the low blinds!

Also, you get more hands and reads on your opponents.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by Wohmfg
      Well I'd hope I had an edge over the other players and so would be able to accumulate a lot more chips than the average person in the low blinds!

Also, you get more hands and reads on your opponents.
      This!

As long as you have an edge you want to play as many hands as possible since it's +EV. Otherwise you give up on your edge.

Regards,
      Asaban