[NL2-NL10] [SH] NL5 KJo 17-03-13 (speed)

• Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.14 (42.8 bb)
      UTG: $4.07 (81.4 bb)
      MP: $2.13 (42.6 bb)
      CO: $1 (20 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $7.13 (142.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J K
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.10, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.25, MP folds

Flop: ($0.72) 3 A 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.52) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.90, BB raises to $1.44, Hero calls $0.54

River: ($4.40) 2 (2 players)

Villain: 47/13 - 15 hands (11% limp) So rather unknown, I still would say he is to the fishy side...

Preflop:
      I had been card dead for quite a while, but I guess thats not the best of reasons to 3bet KJo vs MP oR, as it's also a speed table. I was going for a fold or a call from PP against MP.
      BB calls MP folds, made this situation a bit weird...

Flop:
      As villian showed weakness by calling, I thought the Ace was a good barel card, most fishy ppl gives up here unless they have an Ax them self.

Turn:
      As he called I was leaning to the side of giving up, but unfortuneately my hand improved, and thought this guy could still be calling to much, but looking at it again I think I should just have let it go, I'm only ahead of a FD now or some weird PP he called with, but then it would mostlikely be A8,A3,K3,K8 which has me beat.
      When I bet I'm kinda committed, was expecting to see AK here, when he shoves.

I think I'm really crappy at playing midstacks/shortstacks that call, because if you don't show aggression they ALWAYS try to take down the pot...
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Resilence,

Info is required before we can do anything but fold preflop. If MP is opening a normal 12% range from MP, KJ is an underdog. Bluffing preflop may be an option with decent blockers, but again we'd prefer to have info on Ft3bet stat before bluffing against MP.

On the flop we need info, even if it's only a very small sample. This may or may not be a profitable c-bet. Take a look to see if villain is folding much to cbets. Even if he's folded 1/1 times that still gives you a clue he might be folding.

As played with no info I'd give up on the turn. I'd expect Ax/sets to be a little more likely than flush-draws when villain cold-calls a 3bet preflop.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      I have 85 hands on MP, he folds 90% to 3bets and opens 23% from MP, still 85 hands is to little to tell I assume.

I think I'm tilting atm, getting pissed off with ppl 3betting me all the time so I have to fold, finally got a decent hand which has to fold alot to action, SB is rather tight so thought it would be better to raise than to get him into the pot.
      Must admit it would maybe have been better to get BB to come along, but was afraid of SB raise here, as calling would seem weak.

I guess I should suck it in and fold medicores more, even tho I don't feel like it, I get in to trouble so easy :P

Can't really tell anything from 15hands on BB, so can't know how his folding tendencies are, but I usually assume ppl who calls on the blinds are usually weak most PP+Broadways, some Ax combos aswell, but they are usually quite honest in that spot I think, but again vs a midstack, I always get in to a weird dynamic, and can't get my self out of it.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Resilence,

Thanks for the additional info.

I don't think you necessarily need to wait for a sample size. We are not out to statistically prove whether villain is folding a lot to 3bets. We simply want to make an educated guess and take the most exploitative line. If villain has folded to 3bets 90% of the time so far, I think a preflop bluff here with KJo is great. I prefer it to calling because KJ is an underdog vs a 23% range.

As for BB, don't underestimate the value of smaller samples of data. Again we don't need to prove anything, but if we see villain has played 10/15 hands we can expect him to almost always be different from an opponent who has played 0/15 hands.

I think BB has a slightly different range when he cold-calls an open compared to when he cold-calls a 3bet. I would tend towards-cbetting this board in a single-raised pot and checking it back (maybe delayed cbetting) in a 3bet pot.