UTG ($5.72) 286bb
      UTG+1 ($1.91) 96bb
      CO ($4.51) 226bb
      BTN ($2.83) 142bb
      SB ($2.18) 109bb
      Hero (BB) ($2.21) 111bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is BB 8:club: 9:club:
      UTG raises to $0.06, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: 7:diamond: 10:heart: K:club: ($0.13, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: J:diamond: ($0.37, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, UTG raises to $0.82, Hero raises to $1.98, UTG raises to $3.14, Hero goes all-in $0.05

River: 10:diamond: ($4.43, 2 players, 1 all-in)
  • 4 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Cuvash,

Preflop: I would recommend folding these type of hands versus EP raisers as their ranges are stronger and we won't be able to show a huge profit unless we hit which is rare.

Postflop: As played the turn brings our straight but we lose to AQ which is part of his range. We cannot fold anymore and I would not donk there. I rather let him bet his hands and we check/raise for pure value.
    • Cuvash
      Cuvash
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi Cuvash,

Preflop: I would recommend folding these type of hands versus EP raisers as their ranges are stronger and we won't be able to show a huge profit unless we hit which is rare.

Postflop: As played the turn brings our straight but we lose to AQ which is part of his range. We cannot fold anymore and I would not donk there. I rather let him bet his hands and we check/raise for pure value.
      How come 89s is so bad vs UTG, thats the whole idead to hit and then stack off him.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Cuvash
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi Cuvash,

How come 89s is so bad vs UTG, thats the whole idead to hit and then stack off him.
      Of course that's the idea but in poker you don't win just by hitting. Maybe if you play just versus bad people but it's rare.

First, you rarely hit, and second, even when you hit you aren't always getting all the money or you still lose.

Your flush draw (if you flop any) is easily dominated so you are relying on your straight draw which is not always clean. Like in this case even though you get your straight better ones are possible.

Hands like these are good to play when you can also win pots without hitting. For example ck/raising flops and so on but because he has a strong range we don't get to win many pots.

Also, you hit a draw 20% of the time (10% each) and only 5% you hit 2p+. Guess what happens when you hit a draw? You have to call down more cards to hit and you only hit 32-40% of the time unless we have a combo draw.

So calling to hit and stack off is a sure way to lose a ton of money unless you play multiway or villains are really bad.
    • Cuvash
      Cuvash
      Bronze
      Wow! Okay thanks