[NL2-NL10] nl5 AKs

• mgrega
      mgrega
      Bronze
      Hi,
      villain 54/31 after 13 hands.
      My reasoning through the hand:
      - 3bet for value
      - I called his min 4bet because I'm getting good pot odds, I'm IP and we are a bit deeper
      - on the flop he instantly bets the pot, I was putting him on JJ+,AJo+,AJs+ and I had pretty good equity againt that.

In this point I didn't really know what to do. I don't want to call because of bad pot odds and if I hit it will be obvious and he probably won't continue.
      If I reraise allin we can expect him to continue only w something like JJ+ and AJo, AJs maybe. I thought I have around 35% eq againt range like that. According to equilab it is 44% and that is pretty good. So is reraise allin the right play here?

Thank you.

Full Tilt, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, Rush, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (CO): $9.49 (189.8 bb)
      BTN: $7.92 (158.4 bb)
      SB: $2.11 (42.2 bb)
      BB: $2.15 (43 bb)
      UTG: $6.06 (121.2 bb)
      MP: $8.07 (161.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K A
      UTG raises to $0.10, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.35, 3 folds, UTG raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.27) 5 6 J (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.27, Hero raises to $8.89 and is all-in, UTG calls $4.19

Turn: ($12.19) 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($12.19) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $12.19 pot ($0.81 rake)
      Final Board: 5 6 J 7 5
      Hero showed K A and won $11.38 ($5.32 net)
      UTG showed J A and lost (-$6.06 net)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi MGrega,

Preflop: The 3-bet is fine but I think we should just 4-bet here or fold vs a min 4-bet.

Postflop: As played do you expect to have FE versus his PSB? It looks like a polarized range so we should have some FE but nothing worse really continues.

Since it's a 4-bet pot I don't think he'll just give up if a flush card hits and he may try to bluff on it so calling is an option too (since we called flop and faced a big bet it looks like you are assuming he has a strong range).

So I think that both calling and shoving are fine options. Shoving will make the hand somewhat easier to play but calling gives us a chance to walk away with almost 80 BB if we want to.

As a side note, when you leave a reply, please hit the advise judge to take another look button.
    • mgrega
      mgrega
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answer.

Preflop: I was thinking about 5bet. But as I said I had good pot odds and position. I called only because it was a minraise. In normal situations I 3bet/fold or 3bet/shove, depends on the opponent and stack size.

I'm always confused by minraises, I never know if it is a weak hand or a trap. :f_confused:

Postflop: I do expect to have some FE. He would probably fold hands like AK,AQ,KQ,TT,99. But I saw some aggressive players like him get annoyed after they are reraised and they called allin w hands like these, even worse. And that would be fine by me. :s_cool:

Yes, maybe he would continue even if a flush card hits, but from what I have seen on these limits flush cards most of the time kills the action.

And if I called on the flop, I would have really hard time to call another PSB on the turn, so as u said shoving made it much easier. :)

One more question. I don't know if I get it right, but I was recently learning about concept of isolating, so wouldn't 5bet just isolate myself againt better hands? I don't think he would call 5bet w hands like AJ, AQ and by me calling, those hands stayed in play. That's only if we assume he 4bets those hands ofcourse.

Thank you.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by mgrega
      Thank you for your answer.

Preflop: I was thinking about 5bet. But as I said I had good pot odds and position. I called only because it was a minraise. In normal situations I 3bet/fold or 3bet/shove, depends on the opponent and stack size.

I'm always confused by minraises, I never know if it is a weak hand or a trap. :f_confused:

Postflop: I do expect to have some FE. He would probably fold hands like AK,AQ,KQ,TT,99. But I saw some aggressive players like him get annoyed after they are reraised and they called allin w hands like these, even worse. And that would be fine by me. :s_cool:

Yes, maybe he would continue even if a flush card hits, but from what I have seen on these limits flush cards most of the time kills the action.

And if I called on the flop, I would have really hard time to call another PSB on the turn, so as u said shoving made it much easier. :)

One more question. I don't know if I get it right, but I was recently learning about concept of isolating, so wouldn't 5bet just isolate myself againt better hands? I don't think he would call 5bet w hands like AJ, AQ and by me calling, those hands stayed in play. That's only if we assume he 4bets those hands ofcourse.

Thank you.
      I don't think you'd isolate against better hands only.

All signs point to him being a fish which means that he can play worse hands often.

Also, many fish that 4-bet can't really fold their hand and call light.

Another thing to keep in mind that a lot of the value of shoving hands like these preflop (or 5-bet) comes from collecting the dead money in the pot. And when you do go all in you get to have decent equity versus his range.

Also, I doubt a fish pot/folds hands like TT/99 and even AK. Those I'd expect to call almost always.