This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl5 AKs

• mgrega
      mgrega
      Bronze
      Hi,
      villain 54/31 after 13 hands.
      My reasoning through the hand:
      - 3bet for value
      - I called his min 4bet because I'm getting good pot odds, I'm IP and we are a bit deeper
      - on the flop he instantly bets the pot, I was putting him on JJ+,AJo+,AJs+ and I had pretty good equity againt that.

In this point I didn't really know what to do. I don't want to call because of bad pot odds and if I hit it will be obvious and he probably won't continue.
      If I reraise allin we can expect him to continue only w something like JJ+ and AJo, AJs maybe. I thought I have around 35% eq againt range like that. According to equilab it is 44% and that is pretty good. So is reraise allin the right play here?

Thank you.

Full Tilt, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, Rush, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (CO): $9.49 (189.8 bb)
      BTN: $7.92 (158.4 bb)
      SB: $2.11 (42.2 bb)
      BB: $2.15 (43 bb)
      UTG: $6.06 (121.2 bb)
      MP: $8.07 (161.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K A
      UTG raises to $0.10, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.35, 3 folds, UTG raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.27) 5 6 J (2 players)
      UTG bets $1.27, Hero raises to $8.89 and is all-in, UTG calls $4.19

Turn: ($12.19) 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($12.19) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $12.19 pot ($0.81 rake)
      Final Board: 5 6 J 7 5
      Hero showed K A and won $11.38 ($5.32 net)
      UTG showed J A and lost (-$6.06 net)
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi MGrega,

Preflop: The 3-bet is fine but I think we should just 4-bet here or fold vs a min 4-bet.

Postflop: As played do you expect to have FE versus his PSB? It looks like a polarized range so we should have some FE but nothing worse really continues.

Since it's a 4-bet pot I don't think he'll just give up if a flush card hits and he may try to bluff on it so calling is an option too (since we called flop and faced a big bet it looks like you are assuming he has a strong range).

So I think that both calling and shoving are fine options. Shoving will make the hand somewhat easier to play but calling gives us a chance to walk away with almost 80 BB if we want to.

As a side note, when you leave a reply, please hit the advise judge to take another look button.
    • mgrega
      mgrega
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answer.

Preflop: I was thinking about 5bet. But as I said I had good pot odds and position. I called only because it was a minraise. In normal situations I 3bet/fold or 3bet/shove, depends on the opponent and stack size.

I'm always confused by minraises, I never know if it is a weak hand or a trap. :f_confused:

Postflop: I do expect to have some FE. He would probably fold hands like AK,AQ,KQ,TT,99. But I saw some aggressive players like him get annoyed after they are reraised and they called allin w hands like these, even worse. And that would be fine by me. :s_cool:

Yes, maybe he would continue even if a flush card hits, but from what I have seen on these limits flush cards most of the time kills the action.

And if I called on the flop, I would have really hard time to call another PSB on the turn, so as u said shoving made it much easier. :)

One more question. I don't know if I get it right, but I was recently learning about concept of isolating, so wouldn't 5bet just isolate myself againt better hands? I don't think he would call 5bet w hands like AJ, AQ and by me calling, those hands stayed in play. That's only if we assume he 4bets those hands ofcourse.

Thank you.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by mgrega
      Thank you for your answer.

Preflop: I was thinking about 5bet. But as I said I had good pot odds and position. I called only because it was a minraise. In normal situations I 3bet/fold or 3bet/shove, depends on the opponent and stack size.

I'm always confused by minraises, I never know if it is a weak hand or a trap. :f_confused:

Postflop: I do expect to have some FE. He would probably fold hands like AK,AQ,KQ,TT,99. But I saw some aggressive players like him get annoyed after they are reraised and they called allin w hands like these, even worse. And that would be fine by me. :s_cool:

Yes, maybe he would continue even if a flush card hits, but from what I have seen on these limits flush cards most of the time kills the action.

And if I called on the flop, I would have really hard time to call another PSB on the turn, so as u said shoving made it much easier. :)

One more question. I don't know if I get it right, but I was recently learning about concept of isolating, so wouldn't 5bet just isolate myself againt better hands? I don't think he would call 5bet w hands like AJ, AQ and by me calling, those hands stayed in play. That's only if we assume he 4bets those hands ofcourse.

Thank you.
      I don't think you'd isolate against better hands only.

All signs point to him being a fish which means that he can play worse hands often.

Also, many fish that 4-bet can't really fold their hand and call light.

Another thing to keep in mind that a lot of the value of shoving hands like these preflop (or 5-bet) comes from collecting the dead money in the pot. And when you do go all in you get to have decent equity versus his range.

Also, I doubt a fish pot/folds hands like TT/99 and even AK. Those I'd expect to call almost always.