Stacks:
      UTG ($2.69) 135bb
      UTG+1 ($2.08) 104bb
      Hero (CO) ($2.79) 140bb
      BTN ($2.66) 133bb
      SB ($3.45) 173bb
      BB ($3.88) 194bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is CO Q:spade: Q:diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.18, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.12

Flop: 2:spade: 7:spade: K:club: ($0.39, 2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.20

Turn: K:diamond: ($0.79, 2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.46, UTG+1 raises to $0.92, Hero folds

Final Pot: $1.71

UTG+1 wins $2.11 (net +$0.81)

Hero lost $0.84

What does chech/call and another K falls check/raise mean?
  • 4 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Smells like a slow-played Kx, and without any reads that he would be thinking villain who would know that it's unlikely you have a K, I'd be inclined to fold here.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Cuvash,

Vs an unknown MP opener I'd tend towards flatting QQ. You won't necessarily get a lot of value from worse 3betting COvsMP because it looks very strong. You need info on villain before you can be sure 3betting QQ is profitable here.

I'd consider checking back the flop here. It's difficult to extract value from worse on Kxx board in 3bet pot, yet you hold an ideal bluff-catcher.

As played, betting the turn is ok. Maybe that second K makes it more likely you get paid by JJ. Maybe flush-draws will call. Somewhat thin though. Villain's range could easily be KK+/AK when he calls preflop.

When you get check-raised on the turn, should be a pretty easy fold. Nearly always AK, perhaps sometimes 22/77 if villain is a fish.
    • Cuvash
      Cuvash
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey Cuvash,

Vs an unknown MP opener I'd tend towards flatting QQ. You won't necessarily get a lot of value from worse 3betting COvsMP because it looks very strong. You need info on villain before you can be sure 3betting QQ is profitable here.

I'd consider checking back the flop here. It's difficult to extract value from worse on Kxx board in 3bet pot, yet you hold an ideal bluff-catcher.

As played, betting the turn is ok. Maybe that second K makes it more likely you get paid by JJ. Maybe flush-draws will call. Somewhat thin though. Villain's range could easily be KK+/AK when he calls preflop.

When you get check-raised on the turn, should be a pretty easy fold. Nearly always AK, perhaps sometimes 22/77 if villain is a fish.
      But if 3bet him and he doesn't 4bet me, that excludes AA and KK from his range and i know that i am ahead?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Cuvash
      But if 3bet him and he doesn't 4bet me, that excludes AA and KK from his range and i know that i am ahead?
      Possibly true, possibly not. Some players will slowplay AA/KK. Even if he calls with AK you are almost coin-flipping.

The main problem however is that he folds so many worse hands. He might open a hand like 99 or TJs which you clearly want to play a pot against, but he folds it to a 3bet. You miss a lot of value when he folds these hands to 3bet.