Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

CO: $4 (40 bb)
      BTN: $12.25 (122.5 bb)
      Hero (SB): $12.06 (120.6 bb)
      BB: $10.25 (102.5 bb)
      UTG: $16.03 (160.3 bb)
      MP: $19.78 (197.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 9
      CO posts BB OOP, UTG folds, MP raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.20, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds

Flop: ($1) 7 2 4 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, MP calls $0.90, CO folds

Turn: ($2.80) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2

is turn bet size ok?
  • 3 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      can you give the reasoning behind your flop and turn play?

"is turn bet size ok" is a bit of a random question without knowing better what is going on.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      I'm value donking the flop with the overpair - repping a made hand a draw or air.

On turn I'm improved, but plan to bet/fold because the draw has come in. I think I could bet a bit less if bet/folding, but don't want to telegraph any weakness
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      in no moment you are saying anything at all about what you put MP "decent reg" on.

flop is ok, decent reg might not cbet this board often and you can get some value from CO fish in the pot.
      worst case scenario happens, though - reg calls and fish folds.

so what can the reg have?
      the turn is actually a very bad card for you. flushdraw got there, he also has all overpairs, maybe 88/87s, and your one card flushdraw only has massive reversed implieds.
      you don't actually beat anything on the turn. do you think he is floating your 3way near potsize bet with fish in the pot with some random A Q hand?

so on the turn you are actually bluffing.
      not going to say that's a terribad idea, you are already representing a lot of strength with your nearpot flop bet. i wouldn't be surprised if he folds his overpairs (or at least the ones without a ) there since your line is so strong, you might be perceived to have all sets and some flushes.

on light of that, your turn bet size is ok, since you are repping a very strong range and you might convince him to fold his overpairs with such a bet.

i don't think you actually intended to turn your hand into a bluff, though.
      if you want to just play your hand strength, just c/f turn and river (which would most likely be my choice). you are crushed by a decent reg's range.