Playing limped pots HU from the BB

• BluffinBilbo
      BluffinBilbo
      Bronze
      Something that happens frequently is that an opponent limps (maybe from MP or something), i have a thrash hand and we check/check to the river. I wanna discuss strategies (if there are any) to extract value from these situations.

I start with a hand where i do have some value, where i think the best line of action is checkíng and folding to action instead of of betting.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      PL Omaha $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($21.19)
      Hero ($11.09)
      UTG ($10.44)
      UTG+1 ($20.65)
      CO ($10.30)
      BTN ($12.95)

Dealt to Hero 2:diamond: 6:spade: J:heart: A:diamond:

UTG calls $0.10, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero checks

FLOP ($0.25) K:diamond: 7:heart: Q:spade:

Hero checks, UTG checks

TURN ($0.25) K:diamond: 7:heart: Q:spade: A:club:

Hero checks, UTG checks

RIVER ($0.25) K:diamond: 7:heart: Q:spade: A:club: 3:heart:

Hero checks, UTG checks

In this hand and on this board it is clear that we dont get any better hands to fold and no worse hands will call, so we check flop/turn/river.

Now take a hand like this where i dont hit anything and im in position:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      PL Omaha $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($8.91)
      Hero ($10.28)
      UTG ($9.30)
      UTG+1 ($10.26)
      CO ($8.51)
      BTN ($4.96)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: 5:club: 3:diamond: 4:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

FLOP ($0.20) 6:diamond: J:diamond: 9:heart:

SB checks, Hero checks

TURN ($0.20) 6:diamond: J:diamond: 9:heart: A:club:

SB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($0.20) 6:diamond: J:diamond: 9:heart: A:club: A:spade:

SB checks, Hero checks

My hand preflop is really weak with big potential for domination for domination, which makes me check this hand after. I usually raise hands when SB limps in position, but i feel that this hand is just way too weak, i prefer two high card hands over this hand from BB.

Now if the SB has a pair of sixes or nines, he will beat my hand. But by betting at some point i might get him to fold. Which street would be the best street to bet to get the opponent to fold and how big and how many streets do i bet. My guess is one almost potsize bet on the turn or the river would be good to get those hands to fold.

Post some hands here and lets discuss these situations. :f_biggrin:
  • 3 replies
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      once someone checks back in this spot, i bet twice no matter the cards... They almost always fold
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Blind vs blind from BB is usually money making machine. HU pot with position is a great spot, almost with any hand. I like to raise with pretty wide range when SB limps. Especially against calling stations and weaktight players that we can exploit so much postflop.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      I pretty much never raise preflop when in the small blind and it's folded to me. I call with all my strong hands and fold with all my weak hands since most players in the BB will raise preflop soon as I limp (thinking I have a weak hand).

I have never folded preflop after completing in the small blind.