BadBeats n Coolers : The Life of Skribz

• Skribbles
      Hi my name is Peter 26 from Newcastle Australia.
      I started playing poker about a year back casually whilst being a sponsored dota player.
      I had lost over $500 in my pre PS poker carreer knowing nothing of BRM or really of the game only what i had learnt in a book which didnt make alot of sense to me. I eventually found a home in FL holdem and made that money back. God i was still so bad though.
      I had always had a love of Tournament games and being linked to this site by a friend from a lesser Nz team i think his name is Chenny but who really cares :P i started to take poker seriously and eventually stopped dota all together.
      Though i already had a decent br i wanted to grind my way up again through the limits in sng so my experience would match the stakes. It wasnt a pretty grind but i got there eventually with a little help from nicknick's coachings and msn spamming chenny.
      Now i really do run very bad its almost unbelievable but i do find comfort it knowing i was ahead when my money went in pots so i grew somewhat of a hatred towards sng.
      From initial ps started bonus + 100% bonus from tilt i took the $300 i earnt and bonus hoped for a while using sss to boost my br. Including my previous money my roll was a little over 2.5k before i had to withdraw most of it to pay for expenses.
      I had experience at this point but i really dont think i was any good at this point.
      A good friend of mine started playing poker and i started to coach him a bit and this is when i really felt my play improve. Having someone to discuss poker with will guarantee to boost your profits.
      He had no id at the time so i gave him a account of mine to play around with a $50 br. Eventually he got his liscence back and i took my account back and started to show him how to play sng. This sparked my love of tournaments again except this time my postflop play and reads where alot better.
      In 200 games i played on ipoker network i managed a 45% roi in $5 and the same in $10 before i hit bit of downswing sitting at about 30% which is still great.
      I am now playing on mansion with a linked account working on my sh play (currently my weakest aspect)
      Currently my games are:
      10/20c sh nl which i am practicing a 40/40 game with
      25/50c sh nl using a more tag approach
      50/$1 Fr
      I will update with some graphs soon and probably read what i have written and edit it a bit because my brain is usually all over the place.
      I play with an overly conservative br until i feel i can easily beat a limit much to peoples disgust
      This months Goals:
      Stop with the crazy swings
      Win hands when my opponent has 3 outs with only the river to come
      Place well in Aussie holdem monthly winners Tournament (Placed 16th :( )
      Reach Plat status and aim for Diamond.
      Here was my first week of low limit LaG play 10/20

• 8 replies
    • NiekamNeidomu
      sponsored dota player.. ooooh boy xD
      that's why i quited.. wc3..;d
    • Skribbles
      And then the downswing i am having a hard time playing against crazy play any 2 players who will complete a 4-6 bb raise from sb with like 22-44 just never see it coming and seem to stack off to them alot when they are hitting sets.
      Also have to learn to trust my reads and not calling just for the ego trip of yep i knew you had that hand.... Oh and not paying off people who chase river flushes. Going to move up to at least 25/50c soon as i have been told players are just way 2 clueless on these limits and i may have more success on higher limit.

• justkyle88
      Finally have a Aussie Hold'em player on here having a crack.
      How are you?
      I'm Kyle.
      I work for Aussie.
      I run Cardiff Thursday nights.
      That's a pretty sick downswing you have there.
      Hope it starts going up for you.
      Come say hey one day.
      Is Chenny from around here as well?
    • Skribbles
      Nah he is sum kiwi believe he is helps with sng stuff here.
      Bit of downswing mostly poor play sh vs maniacs is a different game for me.
      I used to play the cash games at cardiff on thursday a while back living in cardiff myself and now i only attend Aussie holdem untill i get my monthly tournament ticket placed in the money in the first one i attended on sat 2nd aug.
      Oh semesa is my friends younger brother he mentioned an aussie holdem player from this site nice to meet ya may see you around at some event
    • SoyCD
      Hey Skribbles :)

I remember your name from the Dota scene - good to see you also on the boards here with a blog.

Good luck on establishing your SH game - it takes quite some adjustment but is definitely worth the investment - since it is also useful for improving tournament play.

40/40 seems very splashy though - how is that going for you?

Best regards,
    • Skribbles
      Hey soy what was your nick for dota.
      Yep 40/40 was suggested to take advantage of the overly passive players at the lower limits but i found it not to my liking. After some talking and review with Chenny i found that after taking many beats i started to really go on passive tilt and led to a bigger downswing that and being maniac aggressive and not bothering to use any form of pot control (Got swing game?)
      I have since been playing about a 30/28 with af of around 4 (2 aggressive?) and am confident i have beaten the lower sh limit so am moving up to either 15/30c or 25/50c on Mansion.

• chenny8888
      gl skribs ^^;

keep in mind that his stats are for mansion 5-handed, where some winning multitabling regs are known to have 60/40 stats ;) .
    • Semesa
      hey pete, why dont you update this graph with this weeks crazy winnings you were telling me about on MSN :P ...

hope you can get your money back soon though... GL

edit: as an aside, some of the bad beats i've seen skribz take are amazing, he is easily the most unluckiest player i have ever seen.