absolutely demoralized after today's session

• zumpar
      id just like to know how u deal with this sfuff

so ive moved up to NL50, no big sample, but from what ive seen, i think majority of players are just as bad as they were at NL20.....

things were going just fine for about 4-5k hands, then i just hit one point since when i just couldnt win a single hand

people with AF of 0.8 raising turn vs me constatnly, got into some sick setups (in last 1000 hands i got flopped top trips vs callin station's flopped FH'es 3 times and FH over FH twice..)

yes, you will probably argue that im still running above EV like a god pretty much.... this is true, i am running like sick above EV right now, althouh there is stuff EV line cant be considered being relevant no more than just winnings line...

pretty much all my today's hands... flopped trips.... i bet bet bet call a jam and dude shows rivered FH with 2 outs, or a guy donkin QJ on the flop T64r, callin a raise, donking again an A turn and donking river K....

my graph today

this is my graph, january till now

i pretty much (ev-wise) wiped out all my winnings i was able to accumulate

could the reason be that (even though my big over EV run) im getting into some unlucky spots or i just dont play are good as i think and although i find most players at NL50 pretty bad (including regs) im no better??

i just feel absolutely sick, my confidence is somewhere just below 0

should i just be glad my winnings are still okay and not worry about the ev line since its still not very accurate/relevant, or seriously reconsider my play?

thanks for input :)
  • 8 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      Can't judge much purely by seeing your graphs. More or less everyone overestimate their edge, so I'd go with that.

NL50 will be tougher than NL20, that's as fact. Doesn't mean you aren't winner in those games, doesn't mean you are either. And absolutely you should reevaluate your play, that you should be doing constantly anyway, but when moving up you should be taking extra care of that.

Not much encouragement I guess, but hey, it pretty much always takes a few times to stick around at the new stake unless you get a god like run so don't get discouraged by that too much. Such things work out for the better usually as it encourages us to look for places to improve at.
    • Tomaloc
      imo it's mostly about how strong your mindset is.
      if you are "absolutely demoralized", grinding it out just isn't going to work out well.

are you enjoying the game?
      take a break, find someone to sweat or review your hands and some spots and see if you are really running bad (to give you some reassurance in your game), move down, or something.

now a bit from my own experience...

my moveup to nl50 back then also didn't turn out too well, i didn't run well at all and i think i was -$350 at one point. thankfully i was overrolled, had a coaching session and so i just managed to grind it out and it turned out ok. :f_biggrin:

on the flip side, months later i tried grind out a runbad (ironically and thankfully after moving DOWN to nl25 to put volume :f_biggrin: )... and the end result was that i kept running terrible, that made me play terrible, that make me feel completely sick of the game...
      and so i pretty much had to take a long break. in hindsight, it would clearly be better to have taken a small break when i was starting to feel sick. :f_biggrin:

idk what is my point, just sharing. :f_biggrin:
    • NightFrostaSS
      Btw, Overall Luck Bell Curve in PT4 seems like a decent indicator of how good you run.
    • zumpar
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Btw, Overall Luck Bell Curve in PT4 seems like a decent indicator of how good you run.
      any idea how to set this up? only shows this

Hey guys,

Just moving this thread to our No Limit board for further discussion.

• tommygecko

Last week I posted a thread about being demoralised too. I feel you. Haha. But that was just one session right?

It feels like god likes to test our mentality whenever we move up by dishing out coolers and bad beats in our first few sessions at a new limit.

Keep playing your A game and you'll be back on track soon. I'm slowly finding my feet after a shity past week :D
    • ains21
      Hey OP.

First things first: this is nothing, and if you keep playing poker then you're going to see what I mean. Everyone who plays decent volume has been through those stages where you simply feel sick to your stomach: looking at your graph, how much you had, how much you lost ... all those months of work, gone. It's part of your development as a player. This will happen, and keep happening, and you will just have to accept it.

While you're learning you are going to hit streaks that hit you hard emotionally, just because it's seemed so tough and you've tried so hard to improve. It knocks your confidence in a way it might not at later stages, and makes you want to just give up the whole damn thing. But overcoming this is what separates those that go on to be good players from those that don't.

Take a break, then come back and play. Don't worry over whether there is something seriously wrong with your game, because in all likelihood there is no one thing that is going to miraculously change your bb/100. You just got to keep learning and studying each day, and make those small incremental changes over your career that will turn you into a winning player.

After awhile, these swings are just going to lose the effect they have on you. Your only weapon against them is experience. Keep coming back and they'll sting less and less each time. Break, return, grind, learn. All you gotta do.
    • bmfbpi
      How many tables do you play ?