The Final Roll of the Dice : Can I make it as a FR Zoom Pro

• ChangNoi77
      ChangNoi77
      Bronze

My story is probably similar to many players, I first started playing poker late 2005, moving through limit hold em, NL MTT's, then SnG's, finally starting with 6 max NL cash games in 2008. Results were ok, I had a 150K sample at 50NL as a 2-3bb/100 winner and everything felt great.....

Then early last year reality came crashing down heavily, the games had got infinitely tougher and I hadn't done the work to keep up. Over 30 buy ins dropped at 50NL, I moved down to 30NL and then to 20NL and to my horror I didn't seem able to beat anything anymore.

I was living in Thailand and in June I decided to go home to the UK to reflect on what to do. I'd never really planned on ever being a pro, but spending a year in Thailand and seeing how well you can live on a smaller budget, and investigating many online income opportunities I started to feel annoyed at myself for not having worked hard to make all this happen much earlier.

So there I was back in the UK poker roll busted and ready to get back on the career rollarcoaster when I found 1000FPP's on Stars and ended up grinding the day away playing a single table of FR 2NL Zoom. 100K hands later from the $10 my FPP's gave me I'd moved through 2NL, 5NL, 10NL and 25NL, turning $10 in to about $1000 with FPP's.

Well I had the bug back now, the hourly rate from 25NL Zoom can be pretty good, but things are never simple are they. After making withdrawals and hopping around stakes, my results above show that it's not so easy after all to beat 25NL, or even 10NL in my case as well.

So here I am, back in Thailand, grinding 5NL to stop me spending my savings, trying to figure out my next move. I really want to get back to 50NL someday soon, but I'm not sure what I should be working on, I'll just take each day as it comes, keep studying and see what happens.
  • 3 replies