jachis
      Bronze
      PartyGaming - $0.50 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $54.84
      UTG: $55.09
      CO: $50.75
      Hero (BTN): $90.37
      SB: $85.67 (VPIP: 28.33, PFR: 24.93, 3Bet Preflop: 13.11, Hands: 367)

SB posts SB $0.25, BB posts BB $0.50

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.75) Hero has 7:club: 7:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.10, SB raises to $4.50, fold, Hero calls $3.40

Flop: ($9.50, 2 players) J:heart: 3:club: T:spade:
      SB bets $5.00, fold

Villain on small sample 3bets 31% SBvsBTN

We're bit deep, I think I can call hoping to hit a set ( dont think I have great implieds cause his 3betting so wide) and sometimes float some boards and win the hand on later streets.
      Dont know much about his postflop tendencies. Later the same villain ch/raised as 3bettor bit more coordinated board JT7ss but I folded so no reads on him. What should be the best gameplan against such villain while his postflop tendencies are unknown?
      I dont think this board is good for floating so I just fold.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Jachis,

Against 12% 3bettor I'd probably muck the 77 with standard 100bb stacks. I think you can still defend sufficiently often sticking to stronger hands that are going to have a little more equity/playability on various flops. Stuff like KJs, A9s, ATo etc etc. I'd also slowplay big hands and put AA/KK/AK into my flatting range with a much higher frequency.

However, in this case since we are deep, I think it's ok to call with 77 without the intention of floating too many flops. The awkward thing about this flop is that both villain's bluff range and value range connect with it somewhat, and there aren't too many great turn cards with a hand like 77.

Your general game plan against these type of opponents should be to float flops VERY wide and bluff turn when checked to. The average opponent is firing one and giving up far too often at these stakes. If opponent double barrels, he probably has his value range. If opponent begins double barreling in 3bet pots with a very high frequency you can go from there and adjust your strategy (float less and include some turn bluff-shoves).
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Would you also slowplay KK+ this deep?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by jachis
      Would you also slowplay KK+ this deep?
      If villain was 3betting very wide and playing aggressively postflop I don't see why not. Usually against these type of players you make more than enough to compensate for the time you might miss value from something like QQ preflop by not 4betting.

As you approach 200bb deep even stacking off with KK can start to become borderline at these stakes, because a lot of people are just not stacking off with AK/QQ. It's true villain may flat a 4bet slightly wider with deeper stacks however.