jachis
      Bronze
      PartyGaming - $0.50 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $81.25
      Hero (CO): $50.00
      BTN: $68.30
      SB: $58.45
      BB: $51.25 (VPIP: 21.87, PFR: 17.53, 3Bet Preflop: 7.35, Hands: 1,066)

SB posts SB $0.25, BB posts BB $0.50

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.75) Hero has J:spade: A:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $1.50, fold, fold, BB raises to $5.00, Hero ????

Villain 3bet BBvsCO 9%, cbet 3b flop 75%, cb 3b Turn 33% (1/3), not big sample on postflop.

I think AJs is to good to 4bet bluff, but villain isnt 3betting to much so is this a close descision between calling/betting or easy call?

Whats my postflop plan?
  • 6 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Jachis,

If villain is actually 3betting 9% (depends on sample), should be a pretty easy call, and float basically all flops, then bluff turn.

Really no need to 4bet AJs, wait for something just outside the range you'd feel comfortable flatting with that includes a blocker, perhaps a hand like K8s.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      What is the worst hand you're calling here?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by jachis
      What is the worst hand you're calling here?
      Roughly speaking something like K9s or QTs or 99

It's very villain dependent. You might be able to profitably play 2 blanks in this spot if villain is cbetting his entire range and not following through on the turn without value.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I had a feeling Im defending to nitty against 3bets. Im just having trouble with postflop play when defending wider, maybe I dont choose the best spots to do so, maybe I have a selective memory, but I feel like I get barreled of quite a bit.

Or when villain cbets, I float, and he ch/c Turn I find it hard to barrel the river as Im not sure is villain capable of folding the stuff he ch/c turn.

Need to develop some better postflop skills.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I had a feeling Im defending to nitty against 3bets. Im just having trouble with postflop play when defending wider, maybe I dont choose the best spots to do so,
      One thing to keep in mind is that it's usually unnecessary to defend as often as you theoretically should vs a certain range/bet-sizing. Even if you just defend JJ+/AK - if your opponent has a tendency to barrel off and make big mistakes in a 3bet pot, this usually /more/ than compensates for the fact that you are not defending as wide as you theoretically should be.

On the other hand, if you try and arbitrarily increase the range you defend vs a 3bet and end up spewing yourself, this could potentially nullify any edge you did have and cause you to make overall losses even if you are defending a theoretically optimal range.

In other words, defending too tight is probably not a huge issue. Defending too lose might be.

Also keep in mind that as well as just expanding your range that defends vs a 3bet you also need to simply tighten up your open range when there are light 3betters in position. It's so much easier to defend optimally when you have a narrower range to start with.

maybe I have a selective memory, but I feel like I get barreled of quite a bit.
      Possibly selective memory. Vs the majority of opponents folding vs that second barrel is going to be heavily exploitative on your part. I always check turn cbet stats before I even call preflop though. If someone is barrelling light, you want to tighten up your defend vs 3bet range and continue with a larger proportion of hands to a 2nd barrel. Checking postflop stats before you even call 3bet allows you to go into the hand with a gameplan for later streets.

Or when villain cbets, I float, and he ch/c Turn I find it hard to barrel the river as Im not sure is villain capable of folding the stuff he ch/c turn.
      Usually it shouldn't happen that often. Unless someone is a tricky and smart opponent they will be barreling their strong made hands.

If you keep your turn sizing smallish your bluff should be profitable in a vacuum against the majority of opponents at this limit. 2 barrelling on the other hand may or may not be profitable, it's villain dependent. So if you are unsure, don't fire.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I do check the postflop stats before Im calling 3bets and I try to have somesort of gamplan, but a lot of time I feel like the board is not right, the turn is not right, his betsizing is to big and I dont follow my plan, I guess I really need to work on that.

Thanks for the advice, will try to keep them in mind.